Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Kelmar amp repair anyone?

Author Topic: Kelmar amp repair anyone?
Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2007 01:23 AM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the following amps which I would like to have repaired. Does anyone know who or where I could send them to?

And...hopefully I'm not posting in the wrong forum. Tell me if I am and I'll move this somewhere else.

Quantity 1 - Kelmar - Model AA-7700 Serial 521 - 50 watt amplifier
Quantity 1 - Kelmar - Model AA-7700 Serial 522 - 50 watt amplifier
Quantity 1 - Kelmar - Model AA-7700 Serial 523 - 50 watt amplifier
Quantity 1 - Kelmar - Model AA-1200 Serial 922 - 120 plus

Thanks...ERIC

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-06-2007 07:24 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To Kelmar... or we can also do it. I carry a rebuild kit in the van. I will also say that replacing all the electrolytics will restore 90% of them to good working order.

Mark

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-06-2007 08:09 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We also do this work. Kelmar apparently will no longer repair the 26 watt module...but we will. Louis at Hadden.

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2007 11:42 AM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This repair stuff gives me think about....where to use 25W or 50W amp?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-06-2007 02:46 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have been known to repair them too (even with the Christie badge). The reason replacing the electrolytics often fixes the problem is that I've found them incorrectly installed and reverse biased. That is, when they use them as blocking caps, they have the polarity wrong for the circuit...which kills the cap. Of course, they could have chosen a better type of cap for this purpose than electrolytics.

Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-06-2007 03:01 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,
These amps are not really good enough quality to justify good mylar or film coupling caps... class B output stages and some used darlington O.P. devices, very old stuff but reliable. I normally use non polorized caps for the input stage positions though. in these amps it is usually justnthe input caps that fail fomr what Steve mentions.... but replace them all! Also use good quality electrolytics rated at 105 deg C. and they will last the rest of the time you will be using these amps.

Mark

Steve Guttag

- posted 03-06-2007 04:45 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was mainly referring to using the better caps for the input stages to have avoided the failures rather than any dramatic sonic improvement.

Then again...why is anyone running mono nowadays.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-06-2007 04:51 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
Then again...why is anyone running mono nowadays.
They are all Woody Allen fans......

Steve Guttag

- posted 03-06-2007 05:55 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but even Woody uses Dolby Digital Mono!

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2007 05:18 PM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mark,

If I did send these amps to your company, might you be able to give me an average repair cost? I will need this to provide to the higher ups. These are typical units, no visible signs or olfactory suggestions of burning components.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-07-2007 05:33 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i question if with shipping cost and labour if it is not more prudent to replace these with better more modern amplifiers

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-08-2007 07:20 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eric, If the semiconductors are not blown in them then 1.5 hours plus parts. I sonewhat agree with Gord though... a more modern replacement is in order for them. Take a look at the least expensive QSC line available through music stores. They are VERY inexpensive and very reliable.

Mark

Steve Guttag

- posted 03-08-2007 09:04 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
However, you will probably find that repairing them is the least expensive route and if you get a straight amplifier, you will still need a preamp and configure the other channel for a monitor amp.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-08-2007 02:49 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We "take 'em home" and ups them back. This allows a 24 hour burn in with pink noise on the bench. Really not a bad amplifier for what it needs to do and for its times. Louis

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: