Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Ultra Stereo JDS-80 not powering up to non-sync

Author Topic: Ultra Stereo JDS-80 not powering up to non-sync
Jarryd Beard
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2007 08:18 PM      Profile for Jarryd Beard   Email Jarryd Beard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From this thread.

We have the Ultra Stereo JDS-80 in place with two of our five DLP systems. Recently, one of the units began powering up in SR instead of non-sync mode. I looked at the preliminary manual in the manuals section, but the PDF only contains the first ten pages. How might I change the setting to power up in non-sync?

|  IP: Logged

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 03-03-2007 09:22 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With the JDS-80/XD10P setup software, on the formats tab. The software doesn't appear to be posted here yet, dunno why, you have to ask Brad. I don't think its'"restricted".

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-03-2007 09:37 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry I am not familiar with that unit so I can't help you out.

The updates have been slow due to an excessive workload. They should start being pretty steady now that I have several months pre-programmed in. (The server automatically releases new content at midnight on selected dates, courtesy of some nifty programming from Adam.)

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-04-2007 01:35 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With the JSD-80 you can do a system restore. What that does is restore the settings that the installer saved to the personality module. This module is located on the control module board on the right side of the processor behind the plate that is held on with two screws. You will see three boards it is the one on the right. Next to the lever used to pull the board out you will find on the left a small button. What you will want to do is with the power off push and hold this button in and turn the power on continue holding the button until the restore LED on the right side of the lever starts flashing. Within about 30 seconds the LED should stop flashing. System is now restored. Turn the power off and wait 60 seconds and turn the power back on. Everything should be working as it did when the last save was made to the personality module.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-04-2007 09:14 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also be sure that it is not your automation that is stuck in SR mode. I would disconnect the sutomation lines and then power up the unit and see what happens, its also possible that your SR automation line is locked on. If it still dumps to SR then do the system restore as needed. If that doesn't do it then a laptop will be needed to look at the settings or for a potential problem. We have had zero trouble with these processors.... Read that as ZERO...

Mark

Jarryd Beard
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2007 11:32 AM      Profile for Jarryd Beard   Email Jarryd Beard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think the automation is the problem, but it may be. The automation always switches back to non-sync after the show (we have Christie DCA21's). Also, the automation is never powered down at night. The processor is powered down. Aside from the first power-up of the day, the processor is switching between digital or non-sync modes only.

In regards to the restore, would that also reset any EQ adjustments made by our tech? What other settings might be restored to their defaults before aside from the boot mode. I don't want to cause more problems than we have.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-04-2007 11:45 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It does not restore to defaults. The restore will not change your EQ settings because they are the same settings that the tech saved to the personality module when he set up the processor. All changes that the tech makes with his laptop are stored to that module.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-04-2007 12:20 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hopefully the tech actually bothered to save them to the personality module..... if there's nothing there then you could end up with nothing after the restore. I would bet that he did save it to hiz laptop though.

Mark

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-04-2007 12:49 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Jarryd,

Be careful, I believe the Christie default software used on the CA21s have SR linked internally to the DOUSER OPEN command, which is also linked internally to the AUTO START. You can test this by simply making a program that has AUTO START on line 1 and nothing else. Start it and watch the projector motor, SR and DOUSER fire from it after a short delay.

I always thought that was stupid for such a powerful machine to have it's default programming set up like that. (By programming, I do mean internal, not what you punch on the front panel.) That's why I never use it.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-04-2007 01:11 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
Hopefully the tech actually bothered to save them to the personality module..... if there's nothing there then you could end up with nothing after the restore. I would bet that he did save it to hiz laptop though.

I do know that when you try to disconect from the processor the software will alert you to save the information to the personality module. If you don't it will not disconect or save the settings to the unit. It is important to have the info on the module because if you have to change the controle module board, which I have had to do, you need the information on the personality module.

quote: Brad Miller
Be careful, I believe the Christie default software used on the CA21s have SR linked internally to the DOUSER OPEN command, which is also linked internally to the AUTO START. You can test this by simply making a program that has AUTO START on line 1 and nothing else. Start it and watch the projector motor, SR and DOUSER fire from it after a short delay.

The processor he is having the problem on is one being used for the DLP projector. He is using the DCA21 automation. I at this time do not know what the differance is between that and the CA-21 automation. Does anyone have any additional info on the DCA-21 automation. I will soon be getting one at my location when I get my 1 DLP screen for the upcoming Meet The Robbinsons 3-D engagement.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 03-04-2007 06:30 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's basically the same thing, just a few relabeled buttons and some additional functions designed for D-cinema, but more or less the same thing. This problem is most likely to more or less definitely not caused by the automation (you never really know unless you check yourself). The format commands are momentary pulses. Yes, it could be that one of the relays is stuck and it becomes unstuck when it is actually used, so it look slike it works but really desn't, but that would be very far-fetched. Actually, the SR input shouldn't even be hooked up since the cables are custom made and should only contain the functions actually connected on the DCA end. Unless the installers amde a mistake there, then the unit wouldn't have worked correctly from the beginning though.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: