Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Strange xenon lamp

Author Topic: Strange xenon lamp
Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 03-01-2007 01:20 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The College has just rented some space in a unit on an industrial estate a few kilometres away at New Addington. (yes, this really has got something to do with xenon lamps) for courses in 'wet trades' (plastering, bricklaying, puumbing, that sort of thing). I went over there last week to set up some computers and an Internet connection and router in a small room off the main training area. We went back on Monday to find the place flooded, but that's another story.

It's a very odd place, with a thick concrete barrel-vaulted roof, it looks almost like a wartime bunker if it wasn't for large skylight windows in the roof which have been painted over. Over the top of this has been built a more modern roon, '70s maybe. The whole place seems to have been out of use for some time. The unit which we are now setting up has been refurbished, but through a door on the far side is another unit which is still in semi-derelict condition, with a huge pile of rubbish dumped in the middle of it. Somebody told me that there was some 'old film' there. The thought crossed my mind that I hoped it wasn't nitrate. I went and had a look, and there were no problem, it was all safety, a few odd bits of 35mm print, and a small reel of what looks like 16mm reversal camera original; I picked that up to see if there's anything interesting on it. I then noticed a few carbons sticking out of the pile, which are always useful, so I moved some other junk, to see if there were any more. No luck, but what I did find were two xenon lamps, just laying on the floor, without even the protective safety casings, which I found nearby. It's anybody's guess how many more there might be, or what else might be in that pile. Earlier in there day there had been a man working in this area, I think he was doing electrical work. He was wearing a head torch, as there was no light in there. He had gone off, so I couldn't warn him, nor whoever is about to clear all of this rubbish, ready for the refurbishment of this area. I 'phoned the College's health and safety officer, but could get no answer. I took these two lamps with me, and showed them to him later in the day when I managed to find him. He has spoken to the project manager, who has spoken to the landlord of the property, and hopefully suitable precautions will be taken when the area is cleared. I doubt that anybody working there would have known what these were if they found them. I found a couple of film lab invoices dated 1979, but I doubt if the place has been dis-used for that long. Another good one is that there is a goods lift; these units are on the upper level. We wanted to use this to take the computers up, but when we looked at it I wasn't too hopeful. We stood on the upstairs landing, and pressed the button; nothing happened. We tried to open the landing doors, it was an old-style lift where you open the doors manually. The door opened, and we looked into the empty shaft, with the top of the car visible down below. Another call to the health and safety officer. I'm not too impressed with this place, and I'm not a health and safety fanatic.

The smaller lamp has two rods sticking out sideways at the negative end, which I haven't seen before; does anybody know what they're for?
 -

As can be seen, the lamp is of the type where one end is threaded; are they just for screwing the lamp in? My limited experience with xenons has been mainly with the older long type, as in the other one in the photo, and a long time ago with three electrode ones, and 300 Watt ones in a portable 16mm machine, UXL300D, which are threaded at both ends. I use projectors with the modern type of lamp, but I don't normally have to handle the lamps, which suits me just fine - they worry me. I don't remember seeing these rods on them though.

[ 03-01-2007, 02:33 PM: Message edited by: Stephen Furley ]

|  IP: Logged

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2007 02:11 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those 2 rods sticking out are so that you can use the plastic shipping sleave to screw the lamp into the lamphouse, without putting stress on the glass. If you look closely at the picture, you can see 2 slots in the plastic cylender that match up to those rods. It kind of makes the protective packaging a screw driver. I have a Kinoton 1000 watt lamp house that uses this arrangement.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 03-01-2007 02:29 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Mitchell. Hope to see you again someday. I was hoping to come over at the end of this month, but for various reasons that won't happen now; maybe in April or May. It was only when I took the photo that I noticed that I'd put the casing on the longer, but lower Wattage, lamp incorrectly.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 03-01-2007 02:38 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That lamp style was also used for the smaller ORC (ORCON) lamphouses:

http://www.film-tech.com/warehouse/wareview.php?id=376&category=2

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-01-2007 03:33 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hate those bulbs and especially the lamphouses they go into!!!!!

Andy Muirhead
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2007 07:57 PM      Profile for Andy Muirhead   Email Andy Muirhead   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like the 1.6Kw bulbs I use these in two of my screens. As Mitchell says, you use the plastic outer to screw the bulb in. I would have thought though that these were very common. And yes, one is in use in an Orcon lamphouse. Dunno why the bad karma though.. actually one of the easiest lamphouses I have to change. Never gave me any trouble either.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-01-2007 08:23 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All ORC's should be on twist locks for fast changing; maybe set up like a revolver!! Louis

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-02-2007 03:47 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
STRONG Super Lume-X lamphouses used these bulbs also -(an OSRAM xbo1600HSC)- Had that special cap with the cable that would fit on the anode end of the bulb and tightened down with 1/16" allen setscrews.

The cathode end needed the extention adapter to be in focus with the mirror when connected to the rear focus control.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 03-02-2007 08:17 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1.6 watt Zenith/Cinemecannica lamphouses also used that (lower in photo) bulb. It came with a flat washer which you placed at the threaded end to prevent the bulb from screwing all the way in; this was how the bulb was held at at 180 degrees when you wanted to rotate it.

Steven J Hart
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2007 10:37 AM      Profile for Steven J Hart   Author's Homepage   Email Steven J Hart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Kneisley XENEX II in my theater is equipped with a 1600 watt bulb very much like the one in the lower part of the picture. The Kneisley is equipped with a special adapter so that this shorter bulb can be aligned properly with the reflector. I think my tech refers to this as a "short-arc" lamp. He said something about getting more light output out of the "short-arc" 1600 watt than what can be obtained from its "long-arc" cousin.

Steve

Hugh McCullough
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2007 10:44 AM      Profile for Hugh McCullough   Author's Homepage   Email Hugh McCullough   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These lamps are, or were, also available without the two lugs.

I discovered this fact when I was called out to change a lamp in a very poor Peerless carbon arc Xenon conversion.

The old bulb came out without any trouble. This did not have any lugs on it, but the new lamp did, and because of this it would not go through the very small hole in the centre of the mirror.
This hole was just large enough to fit the metal end of the lamp through.

Only answer, in the time allowed, was to hacksaw off the two lugs, keeping the main body of the bulb in the protective cover whilst doing so.

Apparently you had to state when ordering these bulbs if you wanted lugs or not.

I managed to persuade the cinema owner to change the mirror for one with the standard hole, as I did not want to go through that experience again.

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2007 03:12 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use the lower bulb also... 1000Watt short in a Strong X-90 Lamphouse. Love them. Easily get 7000-9000 hours before having hard time getting 16FTL....

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: