Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » ShoWest 2006 Wearhouse Pictures (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: ShoWest 2006 Wearhouse Pictures
Thomas Dieter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2007 12:18 AM      Profile for Thomas Dieter   Email Thomas Dieter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who makes this platter/projection system?

-

This equipment would work perfectly in our theatre, and I'm very jealous of it. Has anyone had the opprotunity of working with this equipment?

|  IP: Logged

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2007 12:25 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thomas, It is a Chinese projector, if you are interested, I can see if they are still available. I havent worked with them since last year and that system was a prototype.

Rick

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-02-2007 01:40 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Too bad it's ass backwards. Obviously they do that so the lazy projectionist never has to walk to the other side of the machine, god forbid.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-02-2007 03:23 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, was a slick little system called a HORIZON with the underslung 42 inch decks platter system. Projector transmission is similar to an XL - oil spray bath, cone shutter, vertical main shaft, and only using brass and steel gearing. Only thing that can bring up red flags on this unit is that the shutter gear was a bit on the small side and it hints of easily being stripped if the unit had to stop suddenly.

Was rather a cheesy threading pattern by the pict below that I took of it when I was there last year:
 -

The metal formulation was obviously substandard-rough surfaces being not polished to smoothness. The INT sprocket wasn't machined all that too carefully. Massive film dust everywhere in that thing hinting of sharp edges where the edge of the film makes contact.

Good for a viewing room or a form of light occasional usage, but not for mainstream usage.

The one booth that really got me was the LIT booth that had those Century knockoffs called Monees... [Eek!]

-Monte

[ 03-19-2007, 02:06 AM: Message edited by: Monte L Fullmer ]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-02-2007 03:54 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monees have been around FOREVER.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-02-2007 01:13 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
Monees have been around FOREVER.
You're right... I think Mahatma Ghandi had them in his screening room [Big Grin] .

Thomas Dieter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2007 03:04 PM      Profile for Thomas Dieter   Email Thomas Dieter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that if the projection unit is able to be swapped out with any projector but keep the platter design, right under the lamp house. In the old small multi-plex theatres like ours in ALtamonte Spirngs, commonly known as the Interstate 6, the booths are really cramped with only 2 projection units in it and platters. My understanding and information is that Cinemeccanica made the projection special for AMC, back when they ran Reel to Reel, as you can see in the pictures.

-
You can see in this one where the exhaust for the second lamp house was situated over the platter system.
 -
You can see the how the exhaust vent here was double sided for two projectors to feed off of it.

Brian Guckian
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2007 04:36 PM      Profile for Brian Guckian   Email Brian Guckian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Philips / Kinoton had a similar arrangement back in the 1970s. In fact, I think some of their very first non-rewind designs had the platter situated under the lamphouse (but higher off the ground).

Looking at the contemporary Chinese version, a concern would be ergonomics - constant stooping / crouching to thread, etc.

A better space-saver might be the spool-based "sidewinder" designs of Strong, Kinoton and Cinemeccanica, albeit these don't have the non-rewind advantages of a platter.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-02-2007 04:54 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed with Monte - Monees were vile. As a student in the mid-90s I had a part-time job in a little fleapit on the south coast which had the things. The parts were poorly machined (as Monte said, sharp edges everywhere) from a cheap, soft alloy; and the sprocket teeth hooked and deformed in no time (this was at the time polyester film was just starting to come in, and it ate those sprockets for breakfast). I'm sure that what was saved on the capital cost of the units quickly disappeared in maintenance costs.

That having been said, this was 11-12 years ago; and what with the rapid pace of technological development in India, the newer Monees might be better.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 03-02-2007 05:44 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian, the Harbin platter projector comes with a set of knee pads in the spares kit [Razz] It is really a two platter unit, the bottom disk is a storage unit. Maybe at ShoWest they may show their version of a belt drive projector a la Christie [Cool]
Monee....improve seals and check stars and cams in the intermittent....change out gear screws...replace sound damper rollers...check soundhead main drive gear and shaft...and it should work [Wink]

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 03-02-2007 05:57 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My understanding is that Preimere Cinemas wanted to open the Orlando location using those Horizons.

They look nifty, but if the quality of information you can find on the internet about them is related to the quality of the equipment, well, they're probably not that nice.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-02-2007 06:06 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That thing is kind of cute. It seems like a "normal" projector setup (separate picture head, sound head, lamphouse, base, and platter) would be more flexible and have a longer service life than one of those all-in-one units, though.

So, how much cheaper is this Chinese machine versus buying, say, a Simplex or Century projector/soundhead, Super Lume-X lamphouse, Strong base, and a Christie platter separately?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-02-2007 10:29 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Years ago both the ernaman 12 and the fp20 were available with an intigrated platter

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-03-2007 10:09 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't Bauer have a similar device used by UA? Louis

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-04-2007 12:32 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
The metal formulation was obviously substandard-rough surfaces being not polished to smoothness. The INT sprocket wasn't machined all that too carefully. Massive film dust everywhere in that thing hinting of sharp edges where the edge of the film makes contact.

This statement is what you will find on most Chineese manufactured stuff being imported over here. The quality of the fit and finish is VERY crappy. Oil Seals also tend to wear out very quickly... not necessarily because the oil seals are bad but because the shaft finish its running on stinks. This quality is also very common on Chinese built machine tools... Most Chinese machine tools have to be dismantled, parts re-fitted, better bearings installed, and then the machine re-assembled to be usable to any accuracy. Its best to biy older US built machine tools and they will far outlast a new Chinese machine tool.

Mark

[ 03-05-2007, 05:55 PM: Message edited by: Aaron Sisemore ]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: