Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Installation Standards (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Installation Standards
Dick Twentyman
Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2007 03:24 AM      Profile for Dick Twentyman   Email Dick Twentyman       Edit/Delete Post 
For a number of years now, I have been looking at Film-Tech photographs of many projection room installations, and have come to the conclusion that Americans have absolutely no idea on what constitutes a "neat and tidy" installation. Many of these installations show what crass idiots you have working in the industry. Exposed wiring, unfinished projection room construction, without properly lined ceilings to help eliminate dust and many other obvious cheap short cuts show up in almost every picture.

The latest act of sheer stupidity is the Studio Movie Grill in Arlington. Placing the platters for all cinemas in a central location, with multiple film paths going in every direction leaves film exposed to damage for much longer distances than if the platters were placed next to each projector, as usual.

I am beginning to think that Brad "I'm God's gift to cinema projection" Miller will do anything to keep himself noticed by others, when most of us must be starting to see him for what he is - an arrogant, puffed up little know-all.

What's the bet he pulls this posting before it even gets to the Forum. Like most Americans, he cannot accept criticism, as is obvious by his response to many other posts in which someone dares challenge "the master".

|  IP: Logged

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2007 03:29 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*blinks*

I'm not sure its even worth responding to this post, a lot of hate there but not a lot of constructive criticism.

To truly give an opinion on Brad's 'platter array' I'd need to operate it, or at least examine it more closely. But I can say this, from everything I've seen Brad is quite the perfectionist-sometimes perhaps too much of one but that is another debate. I would be very surprised if the first incarnation of the 'platter array' had damaged any prints in its many months of operation.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-01-2007 03:45 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dustin Mitchell
if the first incarnation of the 'platter array' had damaged any prints in its many months of operation.

..definitely be an operation of superbly well-trained booth personnel to handle such a complex operation ...

This concept was to avoid any film moves from unit to unit via methods of clamps, "pizza boards" et.al. - just an amazing tradeoff in a way.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-01-2007 04:00 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, you truly know very little about me.

All I can say is that you've got some nerve to imply that install has problems after just looking at some pictures. I guarantee you that if you compare that theater to ANYTHING else in the south you will find that it has absolutely the BEST presentation around and that the onscreen images are as flawless as I have ever seen anywhere. I might also add that the presentation here and at the Copperfield theater has fooled even studio people into thinking we were running DLP due to how perfectly clean those prints are.

Don't believe me though. I invite you to get on a plane and come look at the onscreen presentation and print quality at that location for yourself. From the sound of it, your big beef with that install is with the platter placement. Well for your own info the platter placement is not about shock value or trying to get someone's attention. It is about meeting the specific requirements of the client without sacrificing quality...and the last I checked, film coming into contact with air did not cause damage, ya doof.

Perhaps if you could understand how a theater like this needs more time to clean auditoriums between shows and such that it is frequently mandatory to flip flop prints around auditoriums constantly (sometimes every other show) in order to be able to accommodate the studio's requirements for X number of showings in a given time period, then you could see how this setup was something desperately needed. Physically picking up the prints and moving them around daily is far worse than letting them run across a few extra rollers and come into contact with the dreaded "air".

Here is a news clip that better explains just what this theater does.

Even though the pictures may LOOK really complicated, it is actually amazingly simple to operate and work with. Joe Redifer, Josh Jones and Kyle MacEachern are a few FT members I can think of off of the top of my head who have walked into one of these platter array booths and after about 5-10 minutes were able to completely understand how it works and run the booth just fine.

Also take note that such a setup FORCES the company to hire only truly competent and professional projectionists, to an even more extent than even a changeover theater would require due to the added complexity. Since when is having a real professional projectionist running the booth a bad thing???

While I am thinking of it, where are some pictures of YOUR installs? I don't recall you ever sending any in.

Oh well, I've not found other Australians to have this sort of attitude, so at least it's not a widespread problem down under.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 03-01-2007 05:02 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dick, get back on your medication.

Your 'blanket' observations are insulting to both Americans AND Australians. What was the purpose of your post? To get kicked off film-tech? Well, so far...you've failed.

I actually think the 'film motivator' (I refuse to call them anything else from this point on) array is pretty bloody brilliant. Why you believe air is going to damage the film is just beyond me.

To say Americans are the only ones with bad installs is equally ludicrous. Have you even SEEN any recent installs in Australia?

And kudos to Brad for not giving you the dressing down you deserve.

Look outside the square Dick...you'll be amazed at what you can find.

We now return you to your normal programming.

[ 03-01-2007, 06:28 AM: Message edited by: John Wilson ]

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2007 10:47 AM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As someone who has operated Brad's platter array I have a couple of things to point out.

1. A competent projectionist can operate the theater without risking ANY film damage.

2. Risk of film damage is actually signifigantly reduced, as prints NEVER have to be picked up and moved. How many prints within either the US or Australia are damaged or destroyed while being moved in a given week?

3. The only potinial risk of having the film exposed during the run from the platter to the projector with the array is the collection of dirt. If there is enough dirt in the air to make any sort of difference, then there is a bigger issue present besides film traveling.

Films were run in theaters with the platter array during some booth related construction (ceiling grid replacement) and no dirt was visable on screen, or upon inspection.

As to exposed wiring etc. There are couple of factors involved.

Often the theater owner wants the job completed as quickly as possible, and view a "neat" installation as something that is out of scope and out of budget.

Also many pictures on the site are of older exising installations that have had several repairs after the initial installation, as well as booth personnel making cosmetic changes during troubleshooting etc. There is NO installation that someone couldn't find a flaw in.

Jeff Lacey
Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2007 11:43 AM      Profile for Jeff Lacey   Email Jeff Lacey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dick Twentyman
I am beginning to think that Brad "I'm God's gift to cinema projection" Miller will do anything to keep himself noticed by others, when most of us must be starting to see him for what he is - an arrogant, puffed up little know-all.

Wow, man, that's harsh. I don't personally know Brad, nor have ever spoke to him, but from what I gather, he has a reason for everything he does.

Sure, many of us do things just to say that we have done them, ala the whole complex interlock, but I don't think that's bragging at all, just something that those find interesting, I know I did.

As for the platter array, it's a great concept, without having to ever move prints! I like it!

While I cannot speak for everyone here, I do not nor have ever seen Brad as a know it all. These boards are supposed to be for those that are needing help or looking for new ideas. This is one. Brad should be commended for his planning on this install, not flamed.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-01-2007 12:53 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only downside I can see to the "film motivator array" is the extra walking it would take to thread-up every show. But, with a situation where prints need to be shuffled around a lot, I can see where the tradeoff would be worth the extra footwork. I would think that the biggest challenge for the projectionist would be keeping up with the schedule!

Ron Curran
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2007 06:35 PM      Profile for Ron Curran   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Curran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that many of the installs pix were of works in progress. Of course there would be exposed wires etc.

Our projection box looks a tad messy at times coz of mods in the works.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 03-01-2007 06:55 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An interesting installation to be sure. What it won't do is force anything. What I believe it does is present a larger opportunity for even the most competent person to make a screw up. Great idea though.

Is it possible to supply any projector from any platter?

Long term it won't make any difference, a row of digital projectors and servers will obsolete it all in less than ten years.

Our booth is a mess too, with lots of surface run conduit for audio, and power distribution, also remains of long gone "50s and "60s TV projection installed for champ boxing matches, cut off capped conduit. It is impossible to do much else with 22 inch thick firebrick walls from the '20s.

[ 03-01-2007, 09:15 PM: Message edited by: Bill Enos ]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 03-01-2007 08:37 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I've personally known Brad for over 7 years and his talents, honesty, creativity, and professionalism are beyond reproach.

It always amazes me when the old farts here refuse to accept new ideas and slam those that come up with "out-of-the-box" solutions to stale old ideas.

I don't know what set off Dickie, but he certainly is filled with an abundance of bitterness, animosity, and hate. Perhaps he's just jealous of Brad's and other people's skills and accomplishments.

Kudos to Brad for leaving this thread up and not deleting it... I wouldn't have been as kind in my response to such an asinine post. [Smile] [beer] [thumbsup]

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2007 08:45 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good post Dick

NOT MY POST....RICK

[ 03-02-2007, 12:09 AM: Message edited by: Richard Hamilton ]

Bevan Wright
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2007 09:30 PM      Profile for Bevan Wright   Author's Homepage   Email Bevan Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't be a Dick.

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2007 09:45 PM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Over the last 10 or so years lots of Australians seem to have lost there sense of humor! We once lived in a society of people who worked hard to create a better place for our children, but alas no more, its all me me me !

Personally I agree with Dicky on one point, In traditional cinemas, platters should be located as close as possible to the projectors. Air contains dust, film is statically charged and attracts the dust.

What excites me most about the studio grill is that it is not a traditional multiplex experience, its a total experience, a real night out! an exercise in adding a fresh approach to what has now become a rather stale experience. This man is a true showman! The idea that he has gone for a no compromise approach, got an expert in (Brad) who created a unique flexible procedure that would suite his business best. A business that is more similar to a reasturant than a multiplex cinema.

quote: Dick Twentyman
Brad "I'm God's gift to cinema projection" Miller
Well this guy did invent filmguard, which to me is God's gift to cinema projection. The reason that Brad can have such long runs in his installs, and absolutely no dust or scratching !

I do not agree with Brad on every point in all his posts but totally defend his right to have his own point of view, just like dicky.

Why is it that people no longer seem to be able to agree to disagree?

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2007 10:18 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a difference between disagreeing with someone and being an outright dick. To badmouth americans and to personally insult Brad, who I dont always agree with but respect, is just being an ass [fu]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: