Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Xenon bulb size comparisons?

Author Topic: Xenon bulb size comparisons?
Christopher Meredith
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2007 10:57 AM      Profile for Christopher Meredith   Author's Homepage   Email Christopher Meredith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can anyone tell me the proper OSRAM and LTI bulbs to use to replace a Christie CXL-20SC?

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-27-2007 01:34 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
("LTI??" [Eek!] massive dedragation from a Christie)

Call up your supplier on this one for cross reference.

Christopher Meredith
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2007 06:04 PM      Profile for Christopher Meredith   Author's Homepage   Email Christopher Meredith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So nobody has a chart or something?

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 02-27-2007 06:39 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Superior Quartz have one here
that covers several makes, including Osram and Christie, but not LTI. You need to scroll down to get to the cinema lamps.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 02-27-2007 06:39 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
There are plenty of cross reference charts on the inet... Google it!

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-27-2007 06:41 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
goto www.ltilamps.com , click on cross references and the comparitive LTI will be shown for the CXL-20SC bulb

Christopher Meredith
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2007 08:42 AM      Profile for Christopher Meredith   Author's Homepage   Email Christopher Meredith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys! I was posting from work yesterday and the computer only allows access to certain sites which do not include google. [Mad]

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 02-28-2007 08:49 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Beat your Net Supervisor with a wet noodle for blocking such a useful and productive site!

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-28-2007 09:16 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The naming schemes used by xenon lamps are not all that complicated. They only seem to do odd things to the really odd sizes...like the 2000-watt lamp in a 1600-watt package.

The 2000HS lamp is part of the 2000, 2500 and 3000HS family. So on a Christie they would be CXL-20SC, CXL-25SC, CXL-30SC...standing for the wattage, "Short" and "Cable"

OSRAM begins all with XBO...then wattage, Then orientation and progressively out to the specifics.

Without looking at the chart, I would guess a CXL-20SC translates to an XBO 2000W/HS. Osram does not list the cable except if it affects how the lamp is made...like the XBO 1600W/HSC. In that case you would get a cable but no anode pin to mount it in a lamphouse (it is completely supported by the cathode).

Steve

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-28-2007 02:25 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please excuse me for being harsh with LTI's - just that we had rotten luck with them.

We ordered a good dozen of these things (the 2k variety) and 10 of them failed a good thousand hours before warranty (and to get warranty return, or credit was an absolute joke..)

. Now, since we've went back to Christies .. no problems what so ever.

Christopher Meredith
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2007 07:16 PM      Profile for Christopher Meredith   Author's Homepage   Email Christopher Meredith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monte,

I too have had problems with LTI. I have used a grand total of 3 LTI bulbs, 2 were of the Helios variety and the third was "normal." The two Helios bulbs (both 4kW) had a seal leak and subsequent disoloroation and dimming well before warranty hours. The "normal" LTI worked wonderfully.

Apparently, my theater's corporate office is pluggin the Helioses at high level training. My GM recently returned with several LTI handouts. In this particular case, I think we're going to go with OSRAM. The one OSRAM bulb I've used lasted nearly 10,000 hours and was the brightest bulb in the complex when it was finally removed.

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2007 08:50 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bulbs today should not be run past warranty hours, they are not built as good as they use to be, too much competition, change bulb specs to get more light. All bulbs have issues reguardless of maker.

NOT MY POST.....RICK

[ 03-02-2007, 12:07 AM: Message edited by: Richard Hamilton ]

Christopher Meredith
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2007 09:36 PM      Profile for Christopher Meredith   Author's Homepage   Email Christopher Meredith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our policy is to remove xenons at 150% of warranty hours if they are otherwise fine. The OSRAM I referred to earlier was one of those situations where it had been in there so long and looked so good, we were trying to go the distance with it, just to see how far it would go. [Cool]

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-01-2007 10:28 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Impersonator, I don't know where you get your information but you are quite wrong. SOME bulb manufacturers will bow to pricing pressures while others maintain their high quality and higher prices. Christie lamps continue to get 2-3X their warranty hours where we install them on average!

We have also had very good luck with ASL lamps but they don't generally stay as clear as the Christie lamps when they get to the beyond warranty hours.

Now if you run bargain basement junk lamps then yes, I can see a strick change em out policy.

[ 03-02-2007, 05:48 AM: Message edited by: Steve Guttag ]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: