Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Amazing Grace lab defect?

Author Topic: Amazing Grace lab defect?
Christopher Meredith
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2007 02:33 PM      Profile for Christopher Meredith   Author's Homepage   Email Christopher Meredith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I was building our print of this film yesterday, I noticed that the soundtrack was substantially lighter on reel 4 than the other reels. As a result, Dolby Digital tracks at F for that reel only and the analog sound is much quieter and rather indistinct.

We have a new reel en route but I was wondering if anyone else had this problem?

|  IP: Logged

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 02-23-2007 03:54 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The four different prints that I've run in the last month had no sound or print defects on them.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 02-24-2007 03:34 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No sound? What do you mean Bill? No sound on analogue or digital, or both? Was there no track printed on the film, or was it unmodulated? If no track on the film what was where it should have been, clear film, or strip of solid cyan or high magenta or dye plus silver, or what? Did this affect the whole print, or just one reel?

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 02-24-2007 08:18 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Stephen

I think you read it wrong.

John

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 02-24-2007 02:58 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like it could have been a printing error -- the soundtracks are printed by different light sources than the picture. Surprised that both the analog and Dolby Digital seemed to be too light, as they are different light sources.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 02-24-2007 05:00 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Wilson
Hi Stephen

I think you read it wrong.

Yes, I've just read it again, and you're right, I mis-read it the first tie. Sorry about that.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2007 06:02 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Foto-Kem did the trailers. Did they also do the prints?

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 02-25-2007 07:44 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Deluxe did the prints for this release. As John Wilson pointed out there from my post there was no print problems with the ones that I ran.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: