Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Sound quality on Hollywoodland

Author Topic: Sound quality on Hollywoodland
Erich Talbot
Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2007 10:46 AM      Profile for Erich Talbot   Email Erich Talbot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have just screened the film Hollywoodland and had a complaint about the Sound “sound quality was muted, muffled, difficulty in discerning what was being said” Has anybody else had this problem. Is it just the way the film was mixed etc? any comments would be good. We are running dolby digital DA20 etc..

|  IP: Logged

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 02-22-2007 11:50 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't screened Hollywood land yet, and it may just be the print, but let's start with some troubleshooting on the tech side.

Check the following:
-Is the DA20 on?
-Is the processor in the right format? It's not accidentally in Bypass is it?
-Are the power amps all on?
---Try power cycling them off and on if they are.
-Stick your head into the next performance and listen.
---See if you notice a lack of specific frequencies from the center. Can you hear low bassy sounds but not high trebley ones? Vise versa? You may want to check to see if someone has stolen a driver or horn from the speaker cabinet. It could also be a bad crossover. The crossover could be in the amp or the speaker depending on your set up.

Erich Talbot
Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2007 12:57 PM      Profile for Erich Talbot   Email Erich Talbot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi

No the system is working fine with no problems / complaints with the past few films we have shown. Just wondering if anyone has had a similar problem so we can tell the customer without any doubt that it is the film / print and not us

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 02-22-2007 05:21 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did the pre-release (Post-Production) and Press screenings and Guild screenings for the film here in NYC. And of the many prints that I handled I no problems with the sound.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 02-22-2007 08:41 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Erich Talbot
No the system is working fine with no problems / complaints with the past few films we have shown.
That's not an answer to the basic troubleshooting questions Mr Olpin has listed. Any system can work great one day, and not at all the next, any component can give up any time. You should go through that list point by point and not assume that things are OK because they worked before.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 02-22-2007 09:05 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you or someone else who knows what to listen for checked it yourself?

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2007 05:08 AM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Olpin
and it may just be the print
Try running a reel from another film before you dissect the system.

Erich Talbot
Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2007 07:13 AM      Profile for Erich Talbot   Email Erich Talbot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is why I was wondering if anybody had problems with this film. Before screening Hollywoodland I showed adverts and trailers that sounded exactly as they normally do. So I am fairly happy that everything in the system from reader to speaker is ok.

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2007 11:04 AM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was it just one customer? They could just have bad hearing or like to complain. Also since your floor staff should be going in the screen at least every half an hour they would have picked up on the problem.

Paul Burt
Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2007 03:58 PM      Profile for Paul Burt   Email Paul Burt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I ran two different prints of this title and didn't notice any sound defects.

Andy Muirhead
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2007 08:03 PM      Profile for Andy Muirhead   Email Andy Muirhead   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: David Stambaugh
Have you or someone else who knows what to listen for checked it yourself?

I noticed you didn't answer David's question there, do YOU think there is a problem with the sound on that print? Have you listened to it?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: