Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Equipment Modifications! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Equipment Modifications!
Christopher Meredith
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2007 10:10 PM      Profile for Christopher Meredith   Author's Homepage   Email Christopher Meredith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bet with all the handy guys (and girls!) around here, there must be a lot of us who have performed modifications on certain equipment, whether they be minor adjustments or major overhauls. I also thought it would be good to have a thread to demonstrate the little helpful things we've done so that other might be able to benefit from them.

So here goes:

First up, I was having a problem with the auto-stop arm on our Kelmar rewind benches. Seems we have a couple of house reels that were beg enough to drag against the auto-stop roller when it was in the down position. I fixed the problem by moving the bumper up about an inch and a half. The new mount location can be seen above the old one:

-

Next is the 3-drive DTS upgrade. This pretty much comes straight from the howto but rather than do the DVD drive upgrade, I just added a third TEAC drive like the ones that were already installed. Simply setting the jumpers and using one of the 3-drive cables provided by DTS in the drive upgrade kit worked like a charm. Rather than cut the blank mounting plate to length, I cut it in one place then bent it to fit. That way, no jagged edges and then the short piece that bends back actually mounts to the third drive. The flash makes it look more angled than it actually is.

-

The next exhibit is more of a curiosity. Our tech rescued a pair of Christie FC-1 film cleaners from a theater in Dallas he was helping close. We already had 3 Kelmars and with these addition, that gives us 5 film cleaners for 10 screens. Yay! The only downsides were that the Christies move much slower (a pain, but they still work fine), and they had the old, annoying screw-on caps and no easy way to attach and detach from the mounting brackets. So we retrofitted them with the latest and greatest Kelmar parts. Notice the cool, easy-off caps and mounting bolt.

-

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-20-2007 11:50 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice thing about doing "mods" is that a creative projectionist/engineer is present at the location that he works at and shows great interest in what he does.

Some of us, from time to time in our lifetimes in this crazy business, have done "mods" to keep the show going and make life easier for us in the meantime.

Congrats though on what you've done.

-Monte

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 02-21-2007 07:16 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good idea about moving up the bumper on the rewind table, but be aware that the internal limit switches may need to be adjusted to activate at the new arm location.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-21-2007 07:22 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Christopher Meredith
rather than do the DVD drive upgrade, I just added a third TEAC drive like the ones that were already installed.
Fine for now but the Teacs are now dropping like flys. Most of them have ALOT of hours of run time on them!!

Mark

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-21-2007 07:52 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This isn't a modification as such, but I just switched from standard 90-degree shutters to 100-degree shutters (part BD-1466 from Wolk) on my Centurys. In return for a slight loss of light, I've completely eliminated all possibility of shutter ghosting. Now, I can turn the adjustment knob nearly a full revolution before seeing any ghosting at the top or bottom of the screen, even on a small screen with a high light level.

I definitely recommend this to anyone who can afford a bit of light loss, especially if the equipment is being operated by people who can't tell the difference between the "focus" knob and the "shutter" knob.

As for modifications, one that I've seen (but cannot take credit for) involved replacing the roller shafts on the payout side of an AW3 with 70mm shafts and mounting two 35mm rollers on each. This allows simultaneous payout from two decks and, along with a few extra interlock rollers, allows one to easily move prints from one cinema to another in a multiplex, without risk of scratching the platter decks with clamps or cookie sheets.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-21-2007 08:26 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott...you have also ordered the C1-D-50S and got the "fans" already attached.

I'm surprised you had ghosting issues on the 90-Degree blade (C1-D-48) since its job is to eliminate ghosting that the stock 84-degree blade never could do (let alone the ultra short drive in blades)

Steve

Christopher Meredith
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2007 08:43 AM      Profile for Christopher Meredith   Author's Homepage   Email Christopher Meredith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The next one is an idea I got from Brad, who apparently did this a while back. This is the Strong/Christie hybrid brain. My theater has two houses which were designed in such a way that the platters are over 15 feet away from the projectors and since we use all-Strong equipment, that meant that the film would drag on the floor if we didn't use intermediary rollers. I preferred the simpler (relatively) route. This also makes the film cleaner much more effective and prevents DTS dropouts! (BTW, I need to make another one of these if someone wants to send me some old, battle-worn Christie parts brains!)

-

I had to reposition this roller to prevent the film from slipping off the big Christie roller when the film was paying directly into the control arm with no tension on it.

-

The next two are pretty simple. First, we decided to drain out all the projector oil and replace it with automatic transmission fluid. In addition to the convenience of never needing to be changed, it has the extra added benefit of actually cleaning out the gears and mechanisms. The mystical cleansing power was noticed on one of my projectors which had a leaky intermittent. Where it had been leaking dirty oil into the operator side and leaving a black grimy mess, when it was cranked up with ATF inside it, after the first few runs, the ATF leak had actually cleaned off the built-up residue from the oil leak. (BTW, the leak is fixed now [Wink] )

-

Lastly, I posted this a few months ago, but I decided to replace those PITA oil drain valves with these new ones which have a simple ball valve and a quick-connect for a tube to make draining oil quick and painless. This is kind of ironic considering the fact that, with ATF in there, these should never need to be used until the day the projectors are decomissioned in favor a their digital replacements. [Frown]

-

So, how about it? What other little things are out there? I for one am interested to see what everyone else has done.

Scott Norwood
Film God

- posted 02-21-2007 12:27 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve--for some reason, it was much cheaper to order the blades, fins, and screws separately than to order the complete assembly. I don't know why.

The ghosting that I was getting was very slight, but it was really annoying on a small screen. It may have something to do with the Cinemeccanica lamphouses, which have little glass "diffuser" disks that mount on the front (they look a bit like the front of a car headlight). I haven't figured out why these are needed, except that removing them results in a nasty hot spot. I wouldn't be surprised if these cause problems with standard shutters.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-21-2007 05:00 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Norwood
As for modifications, one that I've seen (but cannot take credit for) involved replacing the roller shafts on the payout side of an AW3 with 70mm shafts and mounting two 35mm rollers on each. This allows simultaneous payout from two decks and, along with a few extra interlock rollers, allows one to easily move prints from one cinema to another in a multiplex, without risk of scratching the platter decks with clamps or cookie sheets.
Hmmm, I wonder where I heard that from? I am also doing dual takeup now. The people at Christie probably think these projectionists keep breaking the takeup slidebars at these theaters. [Wink]

-

I am surprised nobody has mentioned my dts reader "drag" modification. It is so inredibly simple and knocks out all dropouts and speed variations due to film feed bouncing either from a bad reel arm clutch or wobbly platter roller.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-21-2007 06:07 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Don't you just love those AW3r platter units??) That's still pretty slick on that Movie Grill booth setup ... tons of talent there to figure up such an complex operation system.

Could you refresh us with that DTS 'mod' that you did since there has been a new batch of members pop in ... thx

-monte

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-21-2007 06:11 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott...did you get the steel blade or aluminium? They look the same but the steel wears way better.

Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-21-2007 06:22 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott... I guess you never have the transmission in your car serviced either. Who on earth told you that you never need to change the lube in your X-L's if you use ATF? Who ever it was is a dork! Over time the lube will still become VERY dirty... full of both metal and phenolic particles generated from the gears running together.... this is quite normal, the intermittent will add more microscopic metal particles to the lube as well. The X-L has one of the worst oil filters... more a strainer than a filter.... and it does very little to keep particulate matter out of the circulating oil, in fact it actually circulates those particles to a great extent! The only decent oil filtration system on a projector is on the DP-70. It has an extremely fine filter aside from having magnets in both the oil pump and intermittent... the X-L doesn't even come close there. Also the star and cam are not designed nor made to be run in ATF and ATF does not necessarily afford the proper rust prevention that normal projector lubricants do... most have anti-rust inhibitors in them that are correct. I wonder how it will attack some of the rubber gaskets over time too...? Thank god they're your projectors and not ones that I have to service. The last X-L's I saw with ATF in them at a drive in had the movements seized up solid.

Keep in mind that some older projectors CAN indeed run just fine with ATF... the Brenkert comes to mind... but the Brenkert had intermittent parts that were not hardened and it had a much better oil filter than the X-L does, including at least a strainer on the movement! But ya still have to cange lube at the correct intervals to get the normal life out of your mechanisms no matter what mechanism you run.

Mark

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2007 06:32 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
That's still pretty slick on that Movie Grill booth setup ... tons of talent there to figure up such an complex operation system.
I did do a good job on that, didn't I?

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 02-21-2007 07:06 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I experimented with ATF in Century movements and have always had very good luck. My thought was that the anti foaming quality would be a good thing in the movement.

Did I mention I worked on auto transmissions out of high school back in the 60's?

An automatic is full of rubber seals, metal parts, hardened and non hardened, ball check valves, etc. and are under way more stress than anything in a projector. Most projector technology was perfected before the automatic transmission even came into existence. no?

It's not like we're using brake fluid here.

Scott Norwood
Film God

- posted 02-21-2007 08:20 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve--no idea. I didn't specify. I got whatever Wolk sent me. They look and feel just like the original blades.

Mark--I'm not the one who isn't changing the oil on X-Ls. I use "Genuine Simplex Oil" and change it about three times per year.

Brad--very nice job! Much better than the homebrew job that someone did years ago at Chestnut Hill. You are officially insane now.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: