Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Vic 8 Noise

Author Topic: Vic 8 Noise
Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2007 07:19 AM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it possible to have a noise coming from the shutter on a Vic 8 only when you are running film?
To me it sounds like a noisy intermittent but you cannot produce the noise by loading up the intermittent with the projector running and no film.
Cheers
Ian

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-19-2007 08:02 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure what type of noise you are refering to
if it is nly with film in the machine I would examine the sprocket and trp area

Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2007 08:27 AM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Gordon
It sounds like a "chaff cutter" with film running in the machine.It sounds the same as a Simplex I've got that I'm putting a new intermittent in very soon.
My projectionist at this site feels it's got something to do with the centrifical clutch(not sure if that's the right term for the vic 8)and springs etc that operate with the shutter.
Ian

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-19-2007 08:45 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the film itself shouldn't effect that
I have seen the shutter get warped a little and hit the cooling plate and that seems to be more pronounced with film probably changing the airflow behind the trap

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2007 10:54 AM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could well be the springs which connect the internal drive shaft of the motor to the projector or the similar springs which form part of the shutter drive shaft.

The motor springs are easy to check. Grip the motor handle and rock it back and forth. If the springs are in good shape it should feel spongy and you should not feel any noticeable knocking as the springs will absorb the rocking action. To replace them you have to remove the drive shaft from the rear of the mech to get to the assembly.

The same applies to the shutter drive. The springs absorb any irregularities in the drive. If they are tired you will hear it quite clearly. To check their condition try moving the shutter blade back and forth by hand. If there is clearly lots of play then again the springs may need changing. These can be accessed by removing the back plate and you will see the assembly clearly.

If they need changing its not very difficult but the first time its quite fiddly to do and an extra pair of hands comes in very useful.

I've done this on two vic 8's and the difference and improvement in running was very noticeable. When you consider how old some of these projectors are its no disgrace to them that these springs may need changing.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-19-2007 11:33 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check the shutter bearings. Had a problem once on an 8 and it caused it to make strange noises with or without film in it.... New bearings did the trick. This machine was ONLY 45 years old when I changed the bearings and today its still running just fine.

Mark

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 03-08-2007 12:53 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"What Gordon said". I've had 3 V8 35/70s that warped their shutters enough to tick on the piece of metal covering the cooling lines on the top right hand side. The shutters only warped enough with film in the machine as without the film it runs cooler with a while *lot* of air being forced through the gate.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: