Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » AP-3 Phase Control (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: AP-3 Phase Control
Paul Stevens
Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2007 11:31 AM      Profile for Paul Stevens   Email Paul Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These things are getting tired! Anyone refurbished the phase control module without having to purchase an entire new one? This is the LED/Photo Cell version.

|  IP: Logged

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2007 12:14 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmmm...

Cardinal Sound & Motion Picture Systems
in Elkridge, Maryland.

At least I think they do....

www.cardinalsound.com

[Wink]

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 02-16-2007 12:15 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a guy over here that still does them, I think. I'll ask & send you and email.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-16-2007 04:54 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its best to replace them with a microswitch kit. Much more stable operation will result.

Mark

Paul Stevens
Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2007 07:54 PM      Profile for Paul Stevens   Email Paul Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking in terms of available components for refurbishing the devices myself. LED's, photo detector or that stiff wire spring. I have looked over some of the early posts on this subject and did not see this course of action suggested. I am sure there is a good reason.

Paul

[ 02-16-2007, 09:09 PM: Message edited by: Paul Stevens ]

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2007 10:48 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back to the microswitch? OMG no. I prefer the LED version so much more.

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2007 07:16 AM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have had very very few problems with phase control. Much more with microswitch.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-17-2007 03:23 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Guys, Things such as motor age, "O" ring condition, line voltage fluctations, and drift within the phase control itself from LED fade as it ages makes them one of the worst methods of controling a strong(or Potts) platter in existance. Replace your micros every two years and as long as no one bends the tang... IE: It clicks in the center of the swing arm travel the platter will work fine no matter what the motor age, "O" Ring condition, or line voltage cares to do. I've been thourgh this literally at dozens of complex's and all of them have switched back to Micros and had zero problems after words.

Mark

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2007 04:11 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It makes sense to me that things like motor condition, o-ring condition, line voltage, etc., would affect platter timing. So why does this not happen with the microswitches but it does with the phase control?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-17-2007 04:45 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Phase controls supply a maximum available preset amount of drive to the motors that is not automatically compensatable for motor drofe and other parts wear like the Digital drive is. A phase control platter HAS to hold timming to be operationally consistant, and thats impossible with the motors that are used. As motors age and "O"-rings become glazed the timing changes and nothing in the Phase control automatically compensates for that aging and speed difference unless you adjust the phase control or the motor timming again. For instance... Try timming a set of motors on any given platter and a couple of days later(hours later in some circumstances) they will all be different. Microswitch operation is such that it keeps the motor turned on until the film is fed out to a certain point and the swing arm travels back and shuts it off... strictly a demand system and one in that even much aging of components still affords adaquate operation. The SCDC digital drive looks at the individual motor speed by counting the brush commutation pulses which signifies actual motor speed and makes corrections through an mpu(according to Design And Manufacturing) as needed.... A much better but more expensive idea but one that works really well. This can all be observed with the appropriate Strong Software while the platter is in operation. I would love to see the SCDC system working on an AW-3... that would be a really great platter system... One that would never go out of adjustment!

If anyone here can elaborate in simpler terms or correct something posted here be my guest! I can't always explain things in a simple manner but I think you'll get the point.

Mark

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-17-2007 09:37 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Think of the phase control thing as something else in the system that ages, almost instantly. And just like the @%@%#$ red LED readers, some seem to stay stable for a long time while others seem like they have one anode in the grave the moment they are put into operation.

Since the microswitch method is strictly an on/off thing...other than the switch itself becoming unreliable, the payout system does not age.

The motors do and can to the point that retiming is required. On a non-SCDC system, the take up circuit puts a resistor in series with the motor. The payout circuit does not receive this resistor so the payout is give an advantage in addition to the fact that the film that has left the payout platter that has not arrived at the take up platter gives the payout a speed advantage since its ID will be larger than the take up's OD.

AW-3s have the same issue with LEDs and sensors not being stable with some being rock solid for some time and others not so good. However, with the AW3, all three decks are completely independent (aside from the power transformer) so the drift in LED is not as pronounced in its effect until it is substantially out.

The SCDC can indeed work well though the best I've seen by far is Kinoton's E series. It is the best of all worlds. There is no calibration since it is a matter of "faster" or "slower" like a microswitch but without any of the moving parts to wear out. Also the film never deflects more than a couple of degrees before the speed is immediately corrected. Payout and takeup are independent. While some may not like it, the fact it is tied to the motor start of the projector means it does not have to deal with reacting to the film starting either.

Anyway...as to the "payout as a function of the take up speed" platters go...SPECO definately has the best design with the LP270. Their payout has three speeds. Coast, Take-Up speed, Full speed. This also ensure that no motor timing is ever necessary. They use a magnet and a pair of reed switches to switch modes. Generally, the full-speed is only used for thread up and when the show first starts. The platter decks are so heavy they naturally prevent jerky operation much the same as a flywheel would. On the negative side, since the decks are so heavy, they are slow to start and many give them a "push start" though if they are set up properly, that isn't necessary. They have extended their take up path to further make this unnecessary.

I don't know if I explained this better than Mark but I definately used more words!

Steve

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2007 10:29 AM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All of those points make sense. In my experiences though, I have had very little problems with the phase controls. The theater that I am a projectionists at has 4 platters with phase controls. I have only changed 2 or 3 units since 1989. Same with all the theaters I service. I have had many problems with the microswitched brains. The problems though, are usually from the operators bending the arms. Personally I would use the phase controls.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2007 02:26 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will say again that my experience (6 platters worth) has to agree with Richards.

I do believe someone once mentioned that were different phases of production for these units and that some were lacking significantly in quality. This could be the explanation for the wide variation in observed reliability.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-18-2007 02:36 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dustin Mitchell
This could be the explanation for the wide variation in observed reliability.

Wll, Richard and Dustin can have em all... And I'll be happy to send you any more that I pull out of service. The simple way to look at the thing is that it is just a light controled cheapo light dimmer... and no more. The problem is that LED's have a fade rate that is quick at first, then levels off for a third of its life span and then continues its quick fade out to oblivion. If Design and Manufacturing aged their LED's that'd have at least the center of the life span which should in theory be more stable... but then you have all the accociated motor, drive and AC line variations that creep in.

Have fun boys!

Mark

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2007 03:51 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Send them my way Mark. It's all I use on new installs. Will continue to do so. Again, I'm not going to change what has worked for me and ALL my customers for as long as I have been doing this.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: