Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Century JJ slow startup

Author Topic: Century JJ slow startup
Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 02-09-2007 03:23 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a combo 35/70mm machine here whose motor recently exhaled its life when the intermittent seized up. After receiving the rebuilt intermittent and replacement motor (the original was an old GE one), a Ballantyne model # A4R17FB2B - really made by Bodine, of course -, I installed both and everything runs fine except the motor starts up really slow. A slower rampup is of course welcome, but this motor does take its time. Once it's started up, it runs fine.
I did check that everything is mechanically free-spinning, that all the gears are in good condition and lubed, that the intermittent gear is not to tightly meshing with the gear on the vertical shaft, but the same slow startup also occurs when I disengage the intermittent. The motor is positioned so that the belt is reasonably tight with about 1/4" play, and the belts are in good condition with no bad teeth or slippage.
Could it be that pulling the whole mechanism including the 70mm soundhead on top is a little too much work for this type of motor? It has the correct rpms (1800, same as the old one) and I am using the old pulley and flywheel.

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 02-09-2007 04:03 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Are the two motors rated the same horsepower? Does the new motor start slow without anything engaged to it?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-09-2007 04:27 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check into a Leeson sync motor. These motors have a stronger ramp-up speed than does Bodine.

I have both on my 5-Star units, and the Leeson ramps up much stronger and quicker to speed than the Bodines.

(must have larger windings in the Leeson that the Bodine has..)

-Monte

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 02-09-2007 07:05 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The JJ's I worked with had the 'slow start' resistors added. If yours does also, is it possible they won't work with the new motors?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-09-2007 08:27 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are going from a GE Async motor to a Leeson or Bodine sync motor you also have speed problems. Like others have said there was often a resistor on the start winding of the Async motor located in a black box mounted over the motor electrical cover of the Async motor.

There is also the possibility you have the wrong voltage (motor set to 230 instead of 120).

These are the first things that come to mind.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 02-09-2007 04:37 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The motor only says "115V" on the type plate, it doesn't give 230V as alternative, but the wiring diagram gives two options for low and high voltage, and I wired it for "high". Could that be the mistake? Some motors list various operating voltages, then the choice is clearer.
There is a box mounted below the motor support bracket, but I thought this was for interlock. The motor wiring coming from the concole goes into that and from there to the motor itself. Might it be necessary to bypass that? There will be no more interlock in this location anyway because they mostly play digital now, and the digital projectors are in the way anyway, so some massive measures would have to be taken to reroute the interlock paths. But, like I said, that isn't likely to be needed in the future anymore anyway.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-09-2007 05:50 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Open the box...if there is a resistor in it then that is an issue...though it should have only been on the start winding and you should have had 3 or 4 wires to contend with coming out of that box...if only 2 then any resistor would have always be in series and would have gotten very hot.

If the motor is one of those blue jobs with the integral jbox and says Ballantyne then yes...LOW = 115VAC and HIGH = 230 VAC. The Leeson name should be at the very bottom of the name plate. Also in the "Volt" box on the name plate it might say 115 but look at the box to the right of that (unlabeled) it will most likely say 230.

I'm betting this is your problem.

Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-11-2007 04:23 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael,

A Baldor three phase 1/4 horse with a single phase solid state drive would be the better way to go and they are about the same price. Aside from varialbe run up/run down times you also have such noce features as over current limit set... so if something ever seizes up again it won't take the gear train out. Automation interface is also extremely easy.

Bodine motors suck big time... thats why Stong no longer uses them. The Solid State Drive allows exact speed adjust with very little drift over two hours. Even though they are not synchronus they can be adjusted so exact that interlock is easy if necessary.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: