Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Assisted Listening Device

Author Topic: Assisted Listening Device
Raymond Christie
Film Handler

- posted 02-04-2007 07:06 PM      Profile for Raymond Christie   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Christie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it required by law to have assisted listening devices installed at theatres?

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 02-04-2007 07:12 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, 100% coverage with 4% headsets. Louis

Raymond Christie
Film Handler

- posted 02-04-2007 07:20 PM      Profile for Raymond Christie   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Christie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
Yes, 100% coverage with 4% headsets. Louis
So what does this mean? I am just an assistant and I am learning these things as I go. Does this mean I have to install a device in every theatre or have a unit I can hook up when needed?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-04-2007 07:34 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To the best of my knowledge the US is similar to here
any disabled person must have 100% access with out calling undue attention to themself to a place of public occupancy
that means 100% coverage of the theatres with HI

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 02-05-2007 10:21 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are in the midst of this problem as we speak in our 2500 seat theatre. Seems the construction crew trashed the infrared "exciters" during our reconstruction and didn't replace them. So we are now in a scramble to get something in place, even if it's just renting units that can be stuck in the front of the auditorum on tripod stands. We are in violation, have been for the year that we have been reopened. Two other places where I free-lance are not in compliance either.

Thing is, unless someone asks for a headset, management in all three places seem to have their heads in the sand and don't comprehend how expensive it will be if someone lodges a complaint. I believe the fines are pretty hefty. Funny thing is, a month ago I ran THE BIRDS and someone did demand a headset. Headsets we have; they just don't work. She was very sweet and didn't make a big deal that we couldn't comply, but she just as easily could have made it an issue and we would have been screwed. Then again, who knows if we still won't get that summons by certified mail sometime in the near future.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 02-05-2007 01:43 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have the headsets, it is getting the little old broads to use them that's the problem. We just had a two week run of The Queen. The mean age of the audience was about 90. I think only one person used a headset. They'd rather just "whisper" to their friends trying to catch what they missed.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: