Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Simplex sounding like a sewing machine

Author Topic: Simplex sounding like a sewing machine
Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 02-04-2007 06:50 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I get a call from the A/V guy at the museum where I was supposed to show two films yesterday saying that their service tech came in to replace the gate shoe spring which had broken last month (I had to run a show last time I was there using rubber bands to hold the assembly against the film. Anyway, the museum's A/V chap who ran the two prints during the week said he wanted to warn me that the good news was that the errant spring had been replaced, but now the machine makes a VERY loud noise when film is running thru it. He was not exagerating.

These are Strong Simplex 35s.

Upon arriving in the booth I gently turned the motor over -- nothing unusual. I run the motor, same thing, quite as a mouse. Then I thread a junk trailer reel and with the film in the machine, the noise is so loud we had to talk in loud voices to be heard only a few feet away from teach other. I checked out everything -- the shoe assembly and spring seem unremarkable -- springs giving same amount of pressure as the shoe on the "good" machine. The clack-clack which is in time with the intermittent is definately coming from the intermittant area, so I check the sprocket holes on the film that just ran thru -- nothing. Nothing torn, nothing nicked, and to top it all off, the picture is rock-steady on the screen. I mean, the noise is so loud that instinctively you would think the picture would be jumping wildly on the screen -- not so. The closest I can explain the noise would be like if you were running estar base film and you lost the loop and the film was slamming thru the shoe assembly.

At first I didn't want to run the show at all, but the A/V tech had already run both prints and after thorough inspection, no damage was visable at all. So, I ran the show with that machine clacking away. The pessimst in me was sure that at any moment the intermittent was just going to seize up, but as I said, other than the noise, nothing. And the most bizzare thing is, that with no film in the gate, the thing purred like a kitten.

Anyone have any idea what this could be? Oh...yeah, I swapped the shoe assembly with the other projector. Same noise, so it's nothing to do with the shoe assembly itself. What is even more scarey is the service tech left (without fixing it) saying that it's just a spring he needs to install in the shoe, which definately it is not.

If anyone has run across such a problem, I'd like to hear the solution. Oh yah, the noise is definately coming from the working side of the machine and there was no unusual vibration that synced with the sound of the clacking when I put my finger on any part of the head.

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 02-04-2007 07:57 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only with film?

Check tensions. Correct spring?

If swapping gates did not help; is the intermittent shoe/sprocket aligned?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-04-2007 09:08 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To rule out anything else does it make the same noise with the trap shoe assembly open
and also with no film and closed

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-04-2007 09:51 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check the lateral position of the shoe against the intermittent sprocket and be sure its not on upside down. An alignment issue could allow it to rub on one side of the sprocket teeth.

Mark

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 02-04-2007 12:32 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tried pulling the opening the assembly as much as I could without allowing the film to disloge from the intermittent; all that did was change the pitch of the noise a bit but not significantly. With no film in the gate and with the motor runnnig, no noise at all -- it seems to run smoothly, normally. And the most telling thing to me is the fact that switching the assembly from the other machine caused the same noise when film was running. It will be interesting to see what the tech guy comes up with. And he has to come up with SOMETHING since the machine wasn't doing this BEFORE he had at it.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-04-2007 10:29 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...?Intermittent assembly noise? Oil at proper level?

Have to ask this for I had a similar situation with a very noisy machine with film loaded and it turned out that there was no spray in the backside, thus assembly was actually working pretty hard.

Put oil in that thing and things quieted down very nicely.

Also, one thing that I forgot about is that trap stop allen screw which is on the inboard part of the gate that stops the trap at a certain place when closed. Screw goes in and trap is closing too hard on the film making the film run too tight in the gate .. and that causes quite the racket when operating.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 02-05-2007 09:00 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since the sound is constant when moving the gate in and out I don't think the problem is gate pressure related, or the stop screw.
Try running the projector without film and pressing on or grabbing the starwheel shaft collar to load the intermittent a bit. It's really odd that fixing the shoe would cause a problem elsewhere though. Strange one.
If you put your finger on the intermittent shoe while running is it rattling/moving/bouncing more than your "good" machine?
The Simplex movement was designed by a sewing machine guy I've been told... maybe it's just regressing?

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 02-05-2007 09:56 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah HA! -- the OIL! Not that I am certain this's it, but what a coincidence....yesterday I noticed a can of Simplex oil was on the work bench and a water bottle filled with what I just assumed was used oil; I just figured that while he was replacing my rubber bands with a spring, he got ambitious and changed the oil. Who would have considered that he might have drained the oil but not replaced it???

So in other words, if there was is oil splash, the intermittent might run smoothly sans film, but with film in the gate, that puts enough resistance on the mechanism to cause it to whack out that noise. And that would make sense because the noise is in time with the pulldown. DAMN. If that's what's the problem, this tech guy is going to have allot a splainin to do. Pisses me off I didn't think of checking that. But then again, you see a bottle of used oil, you just figure a tech wouldn't forget the refilling step of that process, eh?

I hope no damange was done running it like that for a bit under 2 hours -- two shows on 2000ft reels, so at least it got a chance to cool down between reels. It's a good thing the intermittent did seize during the run. I will tell their A/V guy to check the spray first thing.

Thanks guys.

PS Dave, I don't know that the Simplex was designed by a guy who designed a sewing machine, but I don't think it's just a coincidence that there was a Singer Sewing Machine Company as well as a Singer 16mm projector. When you think about it, the movement of a sewing machine and the claw pull-down intermittent of a 16mm projector....pretty much both are in the same ball park. I wonder which one came first.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 02-05-2007 10:17 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pulling history hairs.....Graflex was part of General Precision which had control of Singer and Simplex at one time. In the 1950's Century projector was controlled by an imdustrial syndicate that also made commercial sewing machine and other parts for the textile industry. Digital Cinema provider Barco makes inspection equipment for the textile industry. [Cool]

Robert Throop
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2007 02:14 PM      Profile for Robert Throop   Email Robert Throop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dave Macaulay
The Simplex movement was designed by a sewing machine guy I've been told...
The original Simplex projector was designed by Francis B. Cannock, a sewing machine mechanic trained in Scotland.
Bob

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-05-2007 03:39 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Richard Fowler
Pulling history hairs.....Graflex was part of General Precision which had control of Singer and Simplex at one time.
Now to split those history hairs again..... It was during the time of the General Precision rule that the main X-L castings became much heavier and more consistant in manufacture.

Mark

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-05-2007 04:06 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wan't Eden also one of the early simplex designers for the machine was reffered to as the edengraph at one point If memory serves

Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-06-2007 01:34 AM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank
One of my Simplex 35's was doing exactly the same thing recently and the problem was the Lateral Guide rollers were out of adjustment(small grub screw loose) causing the film to have extra tension on it as it passed through the gate.
I thought the intermittent had [bs] itself it was so loud.
After the adjustment and cleaning the gate and trap it was back to "sewing machine noise".
So I feel any extra tension on the film in the gate area will cause this.
Cheers Ian

Robert Throop
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-06-2007 03:34 PM      Profile for Robert Throop   Email Robert Throop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Gordon McLeod
Wan't Eden also one of the early simplex designers for the machine was reffered to as the edengraph at one point If memory serves

Gord,
Frank Cannock was a projectionist at the Eden Musee in NYC. It was there that he designed one of his early machines Called the Edengraph.
Bob

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: