Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » What happened to the artist's tape from TES?

Author Topic: What happened to the artist's tape from TES?
John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2007 12:43 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't know about you, but I have noticed my prints from TES no longer have that nice long strip of artist's tape to fasten the leader during shipping. What I'm now getting is a two inch strip of masking tape instead. [Frown]

Have standards changed? Are there others who are experiencing the same thing? Or, did they just "run out"? [Wink]

|  IP: Logged

Alex Grueneberg
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2007 01:46 PM      Profile for Alex Grueneberg   Author's Homepage   Email Alex Grueneberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for bringing this up, I actually noticed on both of my TES prints last night had really cheep masking tape. Honestly though it still varies for me, and it seems to depend on the movie (big blockbuster vs. small release) but more and more are coming with regular masking tape that I then change out. [thumbsdown]

It is nice having a theater above an art supply store, at least I wont run out!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-26-2007 05:15 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
It looked to me like they have stopped unraveling the leaders and are instead simply shipping the rolls of film as they come from the lab. I personally see this as a bonus, because sometimes the leaders would get dusty and it affected the cleanliness of the reel changes.

Send them to me untouched! [thumbsup]

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2007 05:49 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Possibly a bonus if you are on the receiving end. But...what about returns? Not everyone will refasten those leaders with artisit's tape. My guess is that they will simply reattach with the original tape that was used in shipping. Woh be unto second run houses! [Eek!]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-27-2007 04:32 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Woe be unto second run houses
Actually, its just the opposite when I get prints from TECH - being that I'm in a discount 6 screen house:

If the leads aren't attached very well when the prints came back to their depot, the TECH employees reattaches the leads with a single side splice, and the head lead ends are taped down with miles of that white artist tape (which I definitely reuse when I get done with the print in retaping down the leads before ship-out since I use that tape to wrap around the head leader roll when putting the leads back in the cans).

Then sometimes, these TECH employees are grateful enough to put the reel number on in BIG numbers on that holddown tape.

No, Actually, I've been quite impressed on how much improvement TECH has become since their inception back in 1993. My kudos to them.

-Monte

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2007 09:01 AM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's good to know, Monte. I'm glad you are receiving them in good order. However, sometimes prints are circuited directly from a first run house to the second run house. That seems to be true in our area (NY,NJ,CT), since we are in a densly populated area with many houses. In those instances, the receiver is at the mercy of the sender. [Eek!]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-29-2007 01:10 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John T. Hendrickson, Jr
since we are in a densly populated area with many houses.

.. in which there, my ignorance really shows since I'm not at all familar with such conditions since raised and being over here in the sparse area of the country.

Thus,it's rare that I receive a circuit print from another theatre here in our city (which we do have a 14 screen almost across the road). But, when I do, I have to actually break it down and redo all of the splices if conditions are needed for to do such a task...since that circuit print is just clamped and brought over all assembled.

-thx Monte

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: