Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Norelco AAII pressure bands velvet type question.

Author Topic: Norelco AAII pressure bands velvet type question.
Brian D. Whitish
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2007 02:20 PM      Profile for Brian D. Whitish   Email Brian D. Whitish   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay out there who knows what the proper care and maintenance is for the velvet covered pressure bands for Norelco AAII's. I just put a pair in abd they are the first ones I have used. Thanks for any pointers.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-22-2007 07:16 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just keep em clean with a soft brush. Also artists tape can be used to pull lint out of the velvet. Just curious why you would want to use them??? Gate tension is so low the velvet is really not needed unless you're running something VERY valualable... but even then on a DP-70 the need is doubtful. Image might also be steadier without the velvet!! With a high power lamp it can also make focus worse at the normal low gate tensions typically used.

Mark

Thomas Hauerslev
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2007 02:16 AM      Profile for Thomas Hauerslev   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Hauerslev   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A simple toothbrush is very suitable for cleaning the velvet

Brian D. Whitish
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2007 03:20 AM      Profile for Brian D. Whitish   Email Brian D. Whitish   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark and Thomas,
Boy I couldnt ask for two better experts on the big Norelcos. Thanks for the help. Mark I am going to call your company in the next couple of days to ask about the bands you sell. The last order I got was these velvet ones they didnt have the plain metal style. I suppose I could have removed the velvet but I wasnt real sure about that. I do have one other developing problem in that same projector that started before I put the velvet bands in. My picture is starting to develope some jitter and weave. Mostly horizontal. I guess it just became quite noticable to me because we are running a print with subtitles(Volver). I have McRae Theatre service coming out to look at it on Wednesday. Any ideas?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-23-2007 07:14 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Brian,

Yes... Probably the lateral guide rollers are worn out. We had our own made and they are far less expensive than Kinotons. We also have a copy of the factory alignment jig to properly set them. With new bands and lateral rollers the DP-70 should easily exceed SMPTE specs when all three parts are in good shape and properly aligned. We also have the "Jsmes Bond" Compound Curved Runner that dramatically improves focus flatness and stability. The combination of all three in the DP-70 is pretty amazing.

Mark

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2007 07:22 AM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,

BINGO on the lateral guide rollers. I have often wondered if the small tooth "fox" sprockets could contribute to weave.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 01-23-2007 09:12 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
VKF sprockets spread the accelerating force over more of the larger sprocket holes, if you never have to run CS sprocketed film. No intermittent sprocket tooth should contact the side of a perforation and do anything to lateral steadiness.

Robert Throop
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2007 04:27 PM      Profile for Robert Throop   Email Robert Throop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dave Macaulay
VKF sprockets spread the accelerating force over more of the larger sprocket holes, if you never have to run CS sprocketed film.
I was under the impression that VKF sprockets would fit CS perforations but Positrol wouldn't.
Bob

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-23-2007 10:06 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CS perf always had better registration (until run with positrol sprockets) due to the tighter fit
Image stability on a norelco is often gate alignment

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-24-2007 09:02 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dave Macaulay
No intermittent sprocket tooth should contact the side of a perforation and do anything to lateral steadiness.

I agree that a positrol sprocket can not be used on CS film... absolutely not. You'd destroy the print doing so!! I definately disagree though on using Posi-Trol as a lateral guide.... That in fact is what the Posi-Trol sprocket is designed to do... guide the film on one side of the film by the utilizing sides of the perfs. On dailies I always had Posi-Trol sprockets on my projectors and they had absolute lateral steadiness. My VistaVision projector has a 32 tooth Posi-Trol sprocklet and is so easy on film that I love to run my old original dailies reel fomr the Ten Commandments for people. That film base is old and brittle... manufactuired in the late 50's but the Positrols have never damaged it and it runs fine through the 8 perf. Its doubtful that had I had the 32 tooth sprockets made with CS teeth if that old dailies reel would even still exist... it would have been long ago shredded! Also throw a set of Posi-Trols on a Super Simplex some time and be prepared to be very amazed.

VKF sprockets are quite safe to use on CS perfs as long as the CS base is not shrunk. The other advantage to VKF's is the extremely long life span and the fact that the teeth generate practically no friction and resulting film dust as compared to the combo 35/70 alumnium sprockets. Thats why we had them made for the DP-70..... Its a serious upgrade for that machine that is in fact very inexpensive since its the last set of sprockets most of those machines will ever need. The combo sprockets which are actually very fragile and can generate quite a bit of film dust even when new can be re-installed for running 70mm should you ever need.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: