Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » XCN lamphouse with 35 and 70mm

Author Topic: XCN lamphouse with 35 and 70mm
Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-19-2007 04:04 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quick question: I have a Xetron XCN 4k console here with a Century JJ projector head for 35 and 70mm. In addition to the classic lamp focus assembly, the lamphouse has an adjustment to move the entire xenon block incl. reflector forward and backward. It says what the working distance for this reflctor is in the manual, but it doesn't say how to adjust between 35 and 70mm. I can't remember right now, does the reflector have to be all the way forward for 70mm and all the way back for 35mm (because it's more focused then on the narrower aperture)?
I guess the working distance given in the manual is for 35mm because that is more common. I am not there right now, but I will measure it later when I go back to the location.

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 01-19-2007 04:35 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are 100% correct. Full forward is about right for 70mm. Louis

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 01-20-2007 10:58 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 4K and higher reflectors are about 15 inches diameter. This is the actual reflective area; the overall diameter with the front flange is about 16 inches.

The distance from the rear flange to the aperture for 'standard' 35mm projection is 31.75 inches. For 'standard' 70mm it's 30.10 inches.

I think some early reflectors did not have a rear flange, but I'm not sure. If yours does not, subtract 0.54 inch from the above. The manual gives a distance that implies 'no flange', so I would guess it was not updated when the flange was added. Which, sorry to say, makes it a bad manual.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: