Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Can you run DTS trailer disk with two drive unit? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Can you run DTS trailer disk with two drive unit?
Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2007 09:49 AM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have one of the OLD two-drive DTS players can you run the trailer disk and then switch out to the feature disk after the trailers are over. Basically, how long will it take to start playing off the feature disk?

I'm pretty sure you can't put the trailer disk and disk 1 of the feature in and then eject the trailer disk during the first part of the feature? Tell me if I'm wrong on this but I think doing it that way will interrupt the sound.

Basically, I'm trying to figure out a way (other than adding a drive) to run the trailers in DTS with a couple of old players.

|  IP: Logged

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2007 11:51 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have access to a CD burner -- and these days, who doesn't? -- use this tip to put the feature onto a single disc.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-19-2007 11:59 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another possible workaround: insert a non-DTS trailer/policy immediately before the feature. While this plays, eject the trailer disks, insert the feature disks, and power-cycle the unit (apparently, you are supposed to always power-cycle the DTS box whenever the disks are changed).

Burning the trailer and feature files onto one disk is a much slicker solution, though.

Blaine Young
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2007 12:00 PM      Profile for Blaine Young   Email Blaine Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My experience with the very first DTS playback unit was that this wouldn't work. If you ejected either disc and loaded a new one, the unit would drop into bypass mode and essentially 'reboot'. Not an actual reboot of the platform, but it would purge all active jobs and re-load from the discs.

The idea of burning the trailer disc R14 files onto a copy of the feature discs is a workable solution, provided you've got a handy supply of blank media - and theres room on the disc for the R14 file. Keep in mind that the trailer discs do not store each trailer as a seperate file - they are all compiled into a single file which then has an index file (Trailer x begins at position y and so forth).

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2007 12:06 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Um....didn't Scott just tell us to reboot the unit anyway? That's why you would insert a non-DTS trailer. You would reboot the unit during this trailer, when there is no DTS activity.

As for combining content onto a single disc, I belive the idea is to put the entire feature, sans the trailers, on one disc. This custom feature disc would be disc one, and the trailer disc would be disc two.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-19-2007 12:10 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is possible to extract individual trailer soundtracks from the R14 file. jhawk has posted before about doing this. I've never tried it because a) it's been several years since I ran a booth with DTS and b) I don't like to run trailers in digital sound anyway.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2007 12:11 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Putting the feature on one disk is a very cool idea! What is the maximum length feature that can fit on one disk sans the trailer file? I thought the maximum time of a two disk feature was 3:20 so is the maximum length feature that this would work with 1:40?

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 01-19-2007 12:35 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would it be possible to replace the CD drives in the DTS unit with DVD ones, and write all the files to a DVD-R disc if they were too large to fit onto a CD-ROM?

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2007 12:41 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's not a bad idea. The two- and three-drive upgrade kits that DTS is currently shipping use DVD ROM drives.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-19-2007 12:42 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nothings impossible to engineer or pull off but in your case its just not worth it. What you should do is to add a 3rd drive to your 2 drive DTS. Its very easy but you need to have the same type of SCSI drive that is presently installed in your unit. The latest drive kits from DTS are based on DVD drives... in fact IDE DVD drives, not SCSI DVD. The upgrade kits latest digested version includes a stick on IDE to SCSI converter board on the back of each drive and the usual other stuff... new SCSI controller board and AQRM board as well as the latest software and extra hardware. You can also hang more than three drives on if you need.

What actually makes the most sense is whats called the DTS XD-10. Where in the data from the CD's is simply written to a hard drive within the unit. Also see in the tips section on how to add that third drive to your two drawer unit.

Mark

Blaine Young
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2007 04:20 PM      Profile for Blaine Young   Email Blaine Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ken Lackner
Um....didn't Scott just tell us to reboot the unit anyway? That's why you would insert a non-DTS trailer. You would reboot the unit during this trailer, when there is no DTS activity.

Scott posted his remarks while I was composing mine - I didn't see his response until after mine was completed. Linear time - what a concept.

The point I was trying to make is that you probably cannot do this live - the original units took nearly two minutes to boot. A non-DTS component would be the optimal time to do the disc swapping as Scott outlines.

It would be very nice to be able to remove discs which are not active and have the new ones become available without interrupting playback. DTS gets around this now with the Hard Drive equipped units.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 01-19-2007 04:34 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Given that dts 6 and 6d units are really 386 mainframes, would it be too much to add a hard drive, mounted externally? We already have the computer power and 2 or 3 input drives. Louis

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-19-2007 06:09 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I suppose if DTS offered this as a kit they'd sell very few XD-10's. That is certainly a possibility to do and I once heard rumors of them doing that but its not happenning without a new bios and firmware to run all that. Again... on a 386/486 is it worth it.
The DAC's in the XD-10 are also far superior to the old chips. There are many advantages from both a sound and technical standpoint to installing XD-10's instead.

Mark

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-19-2007 06:22 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
Again... on a 386/486 is it worth it.

and finding SCSI HDD's to daisy chain in with the SCSI controller card and giving it a unique ID address.

..yet,funny thing is that I've done trailer discs with the DTS-6 unit, esp with a single CD movie. Works like a charm. But, with a two disc movie, just wait until the show begins then remove the trailer disc.

Just have "B" disc in on show startup and let "A" load up to start the DTS sequence on insertion.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2007 10:41 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like modifying things just to see it it can work. Even if it's not worth it or not as beneficial as another route, I just wanna see if it can be done. What about this: remove the C drive from a DTS-6D, and install a removable HDD enclousure. Install the same enclosure in your PC. Get a SCSI drive to put in the encosure. Every week, when you get movies in, pop the discs in your PC, copy them to the removable drive, then throw that drive in the 6D.

I'm not advocating that anyone actually try this. But can anyone think of a reason that it would not work? One reason I thought of was that fact that you are not supposed to have movie discs from two different movies loaded at the same time, so I wouldn't think a HDD would be any different. Am I right?

Side question: If the above is true, then why does it work on an XD10?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: