Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Best and worst equipment manuals

Author Topic: Best and worst equipment manuals
Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-19-2007 07:42 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What are your favorite and least-favorite equipment manuals?

Weird question, I know, but it does seem that the quality of documentation for cinema equipment varies widely. Some manuals are excellent, while others are pretty useless.

My personal favorites are the Dolby manuals, particularly the original CP50 manual. I'm not hugely knowledgeable about electronics, but I like the Dolby manuals because they discuss both the "how-to" of installation as well as the theory and history of their products.

I would give an honorable mention to the Strong manuals for the Simplex and Century projectors and soundheads.

My least favorites are the Kinoton manuals. They make great projectors, but their manuals seem to be composed mostly of warnings not to do obviously stupid things (WARNING: do not stick fingers into shutter blade while projector is operating) and also lack any sort of useful information about how to disassemble and repair the equipment.

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 01-19-2007 08:12 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All Xetron, Big Sky and older Christie manuals have to be almost worthless when trying to order parts.

Best manuals: E7, Super and XL manuals, Super Lumex....even the dirt probably has an appropriate number. The E7 manual must be the gold standard of all manuals. Louis

Robert Throop
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2007 08:36 AM      Profile for Robert Throop   Email Robert Throop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I nominate the Kintek KT700 manual as the worst.
Louis- I agree about the old Simplex manuals especially the exploded drawings.
Bob

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 01-19-2007 10:55 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Worst ever -- Ballantyne Pro manuals that had the drawings of the doggies to help you with the threading

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2007 03:09 PM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually you need to check the Service Manuals for the Kinoton projectors which are very informative and explain almost everything. Every while we receive antendums to the manuals adding more things up. If you are talking about the standard operating manual, it reveals nothing of dissasembling the machine but just regular maintenance and basic stuff. The Service Manuals though provided by Kinoton are very very detailed. It contains everything from schematics to setup information on every aspect of their projectors. I cannot believe a manual which is more than 200 pages is not informative! Cinemeccanica manuals are very good when it comes to achieving a part number for even the smallest screw you need. It lacks though installation information and that is perhaps they are sooooo easy to install.
Best Regards

Demetris

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2007 03:17 PM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
The E7 manual must be the gold standard of all manuals. Louis

Do You mean Ernemann 7?

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-19-2007 03:55 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Norwood
My least favorites are the Kinoton manuals. They make great projectors, but their manuals seem to be composed mostly of warnings not to do obviously stupid things (WARNING: do not stick fingers into shutter blade while projector is operating) and also lack any sort of useful information about how to disassemble and repair the equipment.
The manuals have to contain these warnings for some legal reasons (I don't know if that has do to with German or EU laws, probably both). Like Demetris said, the service manulas contain basically everything one needs to know about the machines. But they don't like to distribute them freely because they don't want unqualified people to play around with the equipment.
There is a completely different mentality and attitude toward this in European companies because they don't have to deal with as large distances as here, and qualified service people are never very far away.

Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2007 04:47 PM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The E7 is an older Simplex model.

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2007 09:19 PM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the worst manuals in my opinion? That for an old type "E" Peerless Magnarc lamphouse. This excerpt pretty much sums it up...

quote:
TO TRIM POSITIVE CARBONS.

Throw friction release lever No. 2027 plate "E" clockwise and slide the entire positive carbon carriage No. 2014 plate "E," toward the front of the lamp. Relock carriage by throwing lever No. 2027 toward the rear of the lamphouse. This locks a gear on carriage No. 2014 plate "E," to the threads of the positive acme feed screw No. 2016 plate "E."

Next turn positive carbon clamp lever No. 2006 plate "E" toward the reflector so that positive carbon clamp shoe No. 2003 plate "E," is low enough to permit insertion of the positive carbon. Next place-the pointed end of the carbon in the "V" slot in positive carbon guide No. 2274 plate "E" with its pointed arcing end in the same vertical plane as the front edge of positive carbon guide chute No. 2277 and clamp the carbon by rotating lever No. 2006 plate "E," toward the front of the lamphouse.

The oft-mentioned "plate 'E'" refers to one of five pictures near the front of the manual, components identified by part number, not by name. The cross-reference clutter is classic bad manual design.

For comparison...even though the manual for the Strong-era type "J" and "K" Magnarcs is lacking in illustrations, the style typical of Strong manuals for many decades makes for an easier and more logical read.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: