Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Ban on showing Universal trailers? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Ban on showing Universal trailers?
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-16-2007 08:31 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone else refusing to show the Universal trailers with the blatantly out of frame green bands? I know this doesn't affect theaters that chop those off, but since most theaters do run them I am curious as to how many people feel this is unacceptable for their presentations.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2007 08:49 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which trailers are these? Is it just the green band that's out of frame?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-16-2007 08:51 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes it is just the green band. Kingdom and Evan Almighty for certain. Regardless, it looks like the movies are being ran out of frame, even though they aren't. Not acceptable.

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2007 08:58 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As soon as I posted, I remembered seeing that on EVAN ALMIGHTY. Personally, I don't think it matters. As long as the movie itself is in frame, it's all good.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 01-16-2007 09:20 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has Universal been notified of the problem? Until the problem is solved, can the green band portion be respliced to put it in frame?

I agree, showing an out of frame green band is bad practice.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-16-2007 09:56 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Why John, what do you think this thread is? I am notifying Universal right now about it. [Big Grin]

I am amazed that nobody noticed it who proofed the final version before 10 bazillion prints were made. [Roll Eyes]

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2007 10:13 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are the bands you're talking about a whole sprocket out of frame? Because my EVAN ALMIGHTY trailer wasn't that bad. Are these trailers flat or scope?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-16-2007 10:42 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He must mean that it's printed just a bit out of frame. I have a flat Evan trailer running here and I can't say I noticed a blatant problem...but then, it's the 4th trailer in and I may have just missed it.

At any rate, I wouldn't refuse to run a trailer (especially one for a movie that's going to need all the help it can get) just because of something that (A) doesn't hurt presentation and (B) no audience member will give a crap about.

Chad M Calpito
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2007 10:48 PM      Profile for Chad M Calpito   Author's Homepage   Email Chad M Calpito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would have to agree with Brad that running a trailer out of frame due to the green band being out of frame is unacceptable. To me, that is one of my biggest pet peeves. At my theatre, we get rid of the green bands, so, I haven't noticed or even knew that there was a problem with the green band on Evan Almighty.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-17-2007 01:48 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't looked at the flat versions of these trailers yet, but the scope ones are very bad. After hitting the screen once, they were yanked and thrown in the trash...along with all other scope copies on the shelf, and hence the ban on scope Universal trailers until we see they have fixed the problem. (I've got to check out a flat Universal trailer later this week and see if the problem plagues those too.)

We also had to toss all of the trailers for that new Adam Sandler movie where he is playing a bum. Turns out every one we were sent has black blotches on them. We tried, the quality sucked, they went bye bye. [fu]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-17-2007 02:17 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(and you didn't send them back in the cans so the depots can recycle the polyester to make new film?)

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-17-2007 08:03 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed with John P.--why not just replace the green band with one (with the same rating) from another trailer?

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 01-17-2007 08:47 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been noticing a lot of quality control problems on proper framing. I've seen some letter boxed flat trailers for scope movies framed all the way at the top, and I've seen some framed all the way at the bottom. That's the entire trailer though. Then I noticed some framing goofiness in Night At The Museum. I haven't noticed any trailers where it was just the green band that was mis-framed, but I may have just missed them since I'm only there two nights a week and don't get to see everything.

I can't wait until digital projectors make all this nonsense go away. [Razz]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-17-2007 09:31 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott and John, you are advocating I take a green band from another trailer and splice onto the Universal trailers?

First, that will rarely work due to the audio being ahead of the picture.

Second, that would mess up the MPAA's descriptive explanations they sometimes like to stick onto the green bands such as "rated PG for intense violence, vaginal bleeding and multiple donkey rape scenes".

Third, if Universal is the studio that can't get their framing right, why should I punish another studio for their screwup?

Nope, the Universal stuff goes in the trash.

Mark, I recall that flat trailer that was letterboxed and printed way out of frame. Can't remember the name of it, but those all went to the trash too.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 01-17-2007 09:57 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm guessing your theatre is not paying for these trailers.

Those of us who are not at first run multi-plexs have to pay for most of our trailers, so I certainly wouldn't trash them. If they were unrunable, I would get a replacement and demand a refund. At least then someone further up the food chain would know about it.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: