Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS trailer files

Author Topic: DTS trailer files
Bastiaan Fleerkate
Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2007 07:37 PM      Profile for Bastiaan Fleerkate   Author's Homepage   Email Bastiaan Fleerkate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First I have to apologize for the terrible English I write…but hey…you can understand it!

I have a few trailers in DTS/SR-D , but never the discs that go with the trailers. I always take the trailer-file from every DTS-disc and save it on my hard drive for later use, but I never have the good sound file for the trailers, because the DTS-discs with trailers (and the movie) are primarily for use in the USA and not in the Netherlands. So I always get DTS-files that I will never use, because the film isn’t going to play in the Netherlands or is released later than in Amerika.

I just want to know if there is a database on the internet with al these DTS sound files in it. Where you just can look for the appropriate file for the trailer. Then download the file and burn it on a CD-Rom and voila! You have yourself a DTS trailer disc!

Maybe it’s a good thing if on film-tech there is a section like this…….

I only want the best for the cinema going audiences and DTS is the best sound for every movie. Dolby Digital is ok… but DTS is better…just face it…

Hope to hear from someone soon……

Bastiaan (Annex Cinema, Woerden)
http://www.annexcinema.nl

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-11-2007 10:37 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, there is no such place on the Net for those sound files. DTS has apparently looked into the matter and the film companies will not allow it due to "copyright issues." In fact Brad has offered to host sound files for the movie companies on Film-Tech for just the purpose you need, but they don't want to do it.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 01-11-2007 10:40 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Making those files available for download makes far too much sense. [Roll Eyes]

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 01-11-2007 10:56 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't believe the question of an archive of trailers has ever been proposed (and shot down) by DTS. The question has come up for feature soundtracks, but those are presumably a bit more sensative.

We have an archive of DTS trailer discs going back a decade or so; I suppose you could email me if you needed something.

--jhawk

Bastiaan Fleerkate
Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2007 06:52 AM      Profile for Bastiaan Fleerkate   Author's Homepage   Email Bastiaan Fleerkate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did ask the question to Karen Hultgren (i think that was the name) of DTS and she replied I should contact the studios. I did contact the studio's but they haven't answered yet.

I think copyright policies don’t apply in such great manner to the trailers. You can freely see and hear the trailers on the internet in very high quality, so I think a database of these files on the internet is possible. You only have the sound, so no consumer user would have any benefit of these sound files.
I know that it isn’t possible to make the feature sound files available because of the copying in the cinema’s (damn those people [Mad] ) and DVD’s (a new brand mark is out so they now can see who distributed the studio DVD copy…..YES!!! [Razz] ).

IF there is a way to make a large database and not break the rules and the rights of the studio’s it would be great.

And did I already say DTS was the best sound available! [thumbsup]

Thanks for the reply's.... hope that it will be something that can be done. [beer]

[ 01-12-2007, 12:28 PM: Message edited by: Bastiaan Fleerkate ]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-12-2007 05:10 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bastiaan Fleerkate
I think copyright policies don’t apply in such great manner to the trailers. You can freely see and hear the trailers on the internet in very high quality, so I think a database of these files on the internet is possible.
You have seriously underestimated the studios' paranoia when it comes to copyright issues regarding theatrical film, sorry to say.

Bastiaan Fleerkate
Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2007 05:39 PM      Profile for Bastiaan Fleerkate   Author's Homepage   Email Bastiaan Fleerkate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And another way. P2P maybe?

Just asking...... I still am waiting for the studio's to write me back, but I work in a 2 screen cinema, so I don't know if they will take me serious... [Frown]

Hey...if someone has any idea how this thing could work.........

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 03-24-2008 12:17 AM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 436 days since the last post.

Mark Strube
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2008 12:17 AM      Profile for Mark Strube   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Strube   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to start a new thread about this, but then I found this older one - figured I'd bump it.

Has this idea gone anywhere? I ask since it seems we rarely have DTS for our trailers anymore... I believe for the most part we only get DTS for whatever trailer is attached to the feature. That new Speed Racer trailer should be rattling teeth!

If anyone is able to help with a project like this, that would be amazing.

I should add: I'd be fully willing to take on the project of making a simple site and hosting the files. However as I said, our theatre doesn't receive the DTS for the trailers much anymore, so I'd need some help on the sources. [Smile]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-24-2008 12:46 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you called up DTS to chek on your subscription (unless you need to subscribe) to receive trailer discs on a weekly basis?

Mark Strube
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2008 12:48 AM      Profile for Mark Strube   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Strube   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll certainly check into it. Thanks for the idea!

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 03-24-2008 04:26 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Trailers are commercials! Why a studio would be paranoid if godforbid the soundtrack alone of their COMMERCIALS were to get into the hands of....who? Who is it that the studios DON'T want to expose to a commercial for their product? And here we are not even talking about unauthorized exhibition.....we are talking about a legitimate cinema wanting to play an advertisment for the studio's own product! Is this the reasoning of madmen or what?

How bout this -- how bout you write to the studio and tell them that if they can't get a DTS disc of their advertisement to you, a legitimate theatre that will play their product, then you won't advertise their product at all -- tell them if they can't be bothered to send you the audio to their trailer....their advertisment....their COMMERCIAL, you just won't play their stinkin trailer at all. See how THAT sits with them. [evil]

Sorry Bastiaan, if I sound slightly insane, it's only because that's what happens when a sane man constanly has to listen to the hysterical rantings of the studio suits. Yah, I am saying that partially tongue-in-cheek, but partially out of frustration at the incredibly idiotic position the studios have always taken on this issue -- protecting their (let's all say it again with gusto) freakin commercials from being seen and/or heard. Anyway, thus is the Alice In Wonderland logic of Hollywood studio types -- their brains have been turned to mush from baking to long in the California sun and from botox injections leaching from their Corinthian leathered foreheads and into the reasoning centers of their frontal lobes. [Eek!]

Other than the steps the guys suggested above, just be sure your analog A-chain is aligned properly and just play the analog track when you don't have the DTS file.

Bastiaan Fleerkate
Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2008 08:53 AM      Profile for Bastiaan Fleerkate   Author's Homepage   Email Bastiaan Fleerkate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
Have you called up DTS to chek on your subscription (unless you need to subscribe) to receive trailer discs on a weekly basis?

Been there... done that....

I subscribed for the DTS discs and got an reply from DTS. They would send the discs to the cinema I worked (now closed...)

I never did see any discs... so I think something has gone wrong. [Confused]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-24-2008 10:10 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the United States, DTS will only send trailer disks to a cinema. (They use Technicolor's mailing list, I think.) They won't send them to an individual.

I have no idea about what they do in other countries; their procedure may be different in the Netherlands.

Bastiaan Fleerkate
Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2008 10:28 AM      Profile for Bastiaan Fleerkate   Author's Homepage   Email Bastiaan Fleerkate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did get a reply on the mail I send DTS. They would add me to the list of cinema's that would receive the discs... and I specifically said the cinema was in The Netherlands...

I don't mind the screw-up, because three months after the request the cinema closed... but I'm still not shure, why I didn't got those discs... when I asked for promotional material, they send it to the correct address...

We just used some discs that I made from old movie-discs (the included trailer file) or used the analog sound. And indeed, we needed to keep the A-Chain aligned...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: