Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » "Click" in Analogue Sound

Author Topic: "Click" in Analogue Sound
Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-07-2007 05:12 AM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just developed a "Click" in the analogue sound that appears to be only coming out of the centre speaker.
The "Click" does not happen in a uniform manner ie exactly every 2 seconds......the time between clicks seems to vary.
Can't seem to hear it in the booth monitor but can hear it in the auditorium.
Tried running a show in analogue and covering the red led.....sound stopped but "Click" was still there.
"Click" does not seem to be there running DTS.
Equipment:
JSX1000
Monee with Jax-Light.......it doesn't get any better than this!!!
Cheers Ian

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-07-2007 06:05 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Disconnect the wires to the "solar cell" (jaxlite) from the JSX1000. Is the click still there? Also try stopping the motor and listen for it. I've had that sort of interference caused by the projector motor.

Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-07-2007 07:50 AM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the information Brad.
I'm 3ookm's away from this problem so it will take a while
to try your suggestions.
Cheers Ian

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-07-2007 08:13 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Microswitches on platters are also noted for introducing clicks into the system.

Another source is the solar cell itself. During dry months, the plastic of the film will build up a charge and then discharge to the solar cell itself. Spacing the cell a little further away can also cure this problem at the expense of a little crosstalk.

Steve

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 01-07-2007 08:47 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Might be a good time to "leverage" replacing the Jaxlight! The reduced output makes other problems larger. Louis

Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-07-2007 10:20 PM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve it's a Speco platter.....I don't think the clicking would be coming from that.The only adjustment I can see on the Jaxlight is the horizontal position of the light....can't see how the solar cell's(receiver) position can be changed!
Lois I'm not a big fan of Jaxlights.......would love to replace it......it all comes down to money!!
Cheers Ian

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-08-2007 08:19 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The grounding of the jax light often is the source of them being noisy you may have to try some creative grounding techniques
It also could be getting into the mains of the preamp for the jax light

Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2007 08:18 PM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Guys
Just thought I'd let you know the result to this problem.
The "clicking" was actually coming from the Format card in the JSX1000.This card has been giving me intermittent problems for a while......Digital i/p dropping out(intm.).....then External i/p dropping out......then analogue i/p dropping out(intm.)........then the clicking noise in the centre channel which was a permanent problem.
I installed another Format card with the latest REV. level and all seems good at the moment.
Cheers Ian

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: