Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Aperture Plate Files

Author Topic: Aperture Plate Files
Michael Elam
Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2007 03:57 PM      Profile for Michael Elam   Email Michael Elam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Normally I use the AF-13 to cut plates, but about a year ago I got a set of 4 of different sizes, I really liked them but I can't find them any more...any one know were I get a set of
files that different sizes?
Thanks,

|  IP: Logged

Floyd Justin Newton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2007 04:47 PM      Profile for Floyd Justin Newton   Email Floyd Justin Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup-------Grainger.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-03-2007 05:14 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Proper aperture plate files are of the "Pillar" type. That is, they cut on the top and bottom only and are safe (don't cut) on the edges.

Nicholson makes them so a Cooper Tool distributor should be able to supply you with them. They have them in 00, 0, 1, 2, 4, and 6 if I recall (I don't have any beyond 4).

They also have them in three different widths...for aperture one normally wants the "narrow" variety to work on 1.85 plates. Extra Narrow can be handy for working on the sides and starting to shape a curved screen plate.

A finer set of files will be needed to really finish a plate up nice or to deal with odd shaped screens and should definately include a 3-square and half-round file.

Grainger seems like they only carry one Pillar file and it is a "00"...which is too course for most work except to clean up from using a nibbler.

Try doing a Google search on Pillar Files.

Steve

Al Biers
Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2007 08:23 PM      Profile for Al Biers   Email Al Biers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aperture files can be purchased thru MSC Industrial Supply. 800-645-7270 or on line at mscdirect.com. They have all sizes.

Mike Croaro
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2007 08:28 PM      Profile for Mike Croaro   Email Mike Croaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Folks:

Can't they be purchased from one of the various motion picture supply houses? Purchased one about 8 years ago for $15.00 from Harrah's Theatre Supply Company in Hayward, CA.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-03-2007 08:36 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The main file I use is
http://www.cooperhandtools.com/brands/CF_Files/model_detail.cfm?upc=037103002587

Al Biers
Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2007 09:04 PM      Profile for Al Biers   Email Al Biers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just checked MSC, page 905, they carry pillar files in 1/2 narrow, narrow, and regular. Lengths 4,6,8,10in. Cuts 00, 0, #1, #2, and #4. Hope this helps

Tristan Lane
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-04-2007 01:42 AM      Profile for Tristan Lane   Email Tristan Lane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer the Lavezzi AF13 file for finish work. In addition, I like to use the cooper files for corners and such.

Michael Elam
Film Handler

- posted 01-04-2007 06:17 AM      Profile for Michael Elam   Email Michael Elam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
YES! it all has been a big help, and I did Google search, this
type file is actually popular and widely available. I'm assuming the AF-13 is very fine cut like a #4?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-04-2007 09:43 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I recall, LaVezzi's files are a #2 cut. They are also short for me. However, they are probably the most popular and they have both flat and half-round.

Steve

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: