Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Monee motor start resistor problem

Author Topic: Monee motor start resistor problem
Matthew Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2007 06:11 AM      Profile for Matthew Taylor   Email Matthew Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have just acquired a Monee MA with base. I have got it running really nice but after a few minutes, the big wirewound start resistor in the base starts smoking. It's really hot.

What could be wrong with the wiring to cause this? The motor runs great.

|  IP: Logged

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2007 06:19 AM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try to look contactor or starting electronic (relay and similar) because when You start projector, first the motor runs thrue that resistor (to get easy start) and then (after second or two) motor get connected directly to mains....so resistor get short-circuted!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-01-2007 11:14 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check the centrifugal switch in the motor(if there is one) and also be sure its wired correctly. The resistor you mention is normally in series with the start winding of the motor and limits current though that winding. The start switch should disconnect after a second or so or when the motor is up to a percentage of its normal speed. If your motor does not have a start switch built in then you need to fit in a time delay off contactor to do the job.

Mark

Matthew Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2007 12:56 PM      Profile for Matthew Taylor   Email Matthew Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can hear the centrifugal switch activate - I don't know whether it works electrically or not.

I simply have a live and neutral supply to the motor via the resistor and double pole switch. Could it be that the supply live and neutral are wired the wrong way round?

I forgot to mention, it's a single phase motor.

Bob Koch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2007 01:37 PM      Profile for Bob Koch   Email Bob Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe this resistor has been inserted in the line to dampen the rapid start, as is sometimes done. If so it should be 2 ohms or less, not the higher value that would be used in the starting winding which would be switched by the centrifugal switch within the motor.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: