Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » horizontal cratches

Author Topic: horizontal cratches
Joseph Matteo
Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2006 06:54 PM      Profile for Joseph Matteo   Email Joseph Matteo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well since day one of the theatre opening we have been plagued with Horizontal scratches i would say in the last year assistant mgrs
have scratched at least 30 prints.i found the culpret it is the take up roller on the take up arm some how it doesn't ride properly on the new aw3.the old style had a retainer the 2 little white plastic in the roller assembly it still used on the make up table bottom roller.christie came out 6 months ago and we haven't heard from them since.i have talked to other theaters and they are having the same problem any suggestions on a fix.i wanted to replace the rollers with the old design again waiting on Christie. [uhoh]

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 12-30-2006 08:39 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you are close enough to the factory to request a return trip. Those of us who are on the other side of the country, what chance do we have. Louis

Cory Isemann
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2006 09:34 PM      Profile for Cory Isemann   Author's Homepage   Email Cory Isemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's a cratch?

[Razz]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 12-30-2006 10:25 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Cory: [thumbsup]

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-30-2006 11:17 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you've got a horzontal cratch you'd better go put something on it before it gets infected!

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 12-30-2006 11:42 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure how the rollers not having the keeper nubs is causing a horizontal scratch. [Confused]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-31-2006 02:11 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed with Adam...there is something seriously wrong here that isn't the equipment's fault. Even with the slide bar in it's lowest position and ALL of the rollers not having any keepers of any sort, there is no way an AW3 can put horizontal scratches on the print unless the takeup roller cluster is sitting BELOW the bottom peg for the bottom deck...but even that is impossible on the current machines as the bottom peg is extra long.

Joseph Matteo
Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2007 04:14 PM      Profile for Joseph Matteo   Email Joseph Matteo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Louis,we are very close only about 10 miles but they just don't care enough,we had to consistently call them about platter problems and all this was with new equipment most all were out of time and there field tech said it was because of the new polyester film and it was a problem with the pay out spring, so i had to prove them wrong i knew it was the new design led cards because i switched with one that was working fine,and no problem simply it's not a priority for them
the first 6 months they replaced berrings on most all 20 machines we have all christie 35p projectors and a month later had to replace them on 10 machines yet again.Brad the problem is not with the cluster on the rod it is because when the film is put on the take up roller on the arm under the platter if it is not on all the way or if it is over shoot on the roller then the film rides on the roller thus causing a horizontal scratch usually in the middle of the print on the emulsion side.i seen it do this myself and the take up will run just fine but when you show that print on the next show it now has a horizontal scratch.the old style roller has the 2 little retainers when the film is placed in the roller it is kept in place.i came back to work on monday and i now have 2 hz scratched prints.i will take a picture of it in action if you like.Brad if the platter was scratching on take up it would ride on the base side the HZ scratches are on the emulsion side.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 01-01-2007 08:31 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
So what you're saying, Joseph, is that the incompetence of your booth staff is a design flaw on Christie's part? No wonder they won't return your phone calls.

From your description, I'm guessing that even if you got rollers with keeper nubs on them, your booth staff will still manage to screw up the prints.

If you want to make your scratched prints go away, you're going to have to (a) make the staff care about it or (b) get a staff who cares about it or (c) get the head honcho to help with (a) or (b). I bet ordering a replacement print would bring some attention to the matter pretty quickly.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-01-2007 10:14 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Joseph, there are crazy people out there running soundtrack down on the platter which would make the emulsion vs. base side argument useless without knowing how your booth threads. You have to provide more specific info about your cratches it is difficult for us to give you the best answer.

Regardless, a picture of what you think is causing the problem would certainly solve your problem faster. We will wait.

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2007 01:10 AM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seems to me HORIZONTAL scratches are most often caused by the takeup platter rim rubbing against the film when the path from the tree roller is set too low.

This is most likely to happen during makeup or breakdown using the MUT when the operator is negligent in setting the correct film path. The edge of the film should ride high enough so as not to come in contact with the platter edge.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-03-2007 12:15 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Joseph didn't seem to understand that he needs to post a REPLY instead of a NEW TOPIC, so at this point you have to click here to continue this discussion.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: