Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Single Douser/Change Over Wiring Help

Author Topic: Single Douser/Change Over Wiring Help
Cody Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2006 01:48 PM      Profile for Cody Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Cody Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys,

I'm sure this is simple, but I need help on it. I have a zipper like douser that has 4 terminal on with a thermostat jumpering 2 terminals. I also have an automation box that has a CO Feed, CO Close, CO Open, CO Close NC, and a CO Neutral.

How the heck do I go about wiring this together? I'm sure there is a way, but I'm lost. I checked the manaul section, but everything is for 2 projectors.

Thank you for you help,
Cody

|  IP: Logged

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 12-27-2006 03:30 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What kind of automation is it? Someone might have hooked that model up in the past.

Short that info, it COULD be that the neutral, and one set of 'CO Open' and 'CO close' terminals might do it. You only need one side of those terminals... the other set would be for the second projector you don't have. Before connecting, I'd verify everything with a meter, because it might be that the "Feed" terminal is there to allow you to use different voltages to suit the changeover you're using.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 12-27-2006 03:43 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK
White wire on changeover goes to power neutral.
120 volts goes to changeover feed.
One wire (red or black) to changeover open on automation.
The other to changeover close on automation.
If wired "backwards, reverse the red and black. Louis

Cody Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2006 04:23 PM      Profile for Cody Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Cody Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Again,

The automation is the Kelmar/UA type A box with the big cam timer.

Louis, one question. I'm not sure which one the feed is on the changeover coil. Or, do you mean that I hook a jumper from the 120v main on the automation to the feed line?

The coil terminals are labeled T, BL, WH, BR. The thermostat is jumpered between T and WH.

I'm just afraid of frying the coil by hooking something up wrong.

Thanks for your help,
Cody

Cody Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2006 09:15 PM      Profile for Cody Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Cody Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys,

Still working on this, but I have gotten further. I went ahead and hooked up wires to the Neutral and the up and down terminals. I fed 120 to the up and down and it seems to work. I'm still trying to figure out the automation feed terminal though(don't want to fry it if it istn' made for the 120v feed). With a direct feed it seems to work okay though I am still trying to get the change over to open and close all the way(only goes up about half way).

I wanted to say thanks again for your help, I'm getting further along than I was before :-).

Thanks,
Cody

Bob Koch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2007 01:55 PM      Profile for Bob Koch   Email Bob Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cody; What Louis has told you is correct as far as a Zipper or Weaver douser is concerned. You must be sure that all you get is a pulse of voltage on the terminals you intend to connect to BEFORE you actually connect the douser itself. Although Ive been retired many years I`m curious as to what make of douser this and what the coil voltage is. In my day the only thing resembling a thermostat was the BX 80 douser that Brenkert made and within the housing had a mini circuit breaker in the common lead.Suprisingly it worked very well; i.e. you could hold the switch down and it would act before you burned out the coils.

Cody Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2007 07:35 PM      Profile for Cody Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Cody Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bob,

I looked for a model number but couldn't find anything. The coil voltage is 120 though. This is an original changeover that would be found on top of a Motiograph AA. The termostat is wired up to the neutral return lead. I'll see if i can find a picture in my collection and post it here.

Thanks,
Cody

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 01-01-2007 08:23 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Motiograph changeover is also a Zipper. It is wired to a 5 pin plug which also has the framing lamp voltage on it. Louis

Cody Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2007 08:38 PM      Profile for Cody Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Cody Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Louis,

Thanks for that info on the type of changeover. I thought it looked the same, but I haven't been around too many of the differnt types of changeovers.

Unfortunately my projector didn't have the 5 pin plug so I'm using some excess cable and running each run straight to the box.

Thank you again,
Cody

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: