Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Another Doremi Digital Cinema Server Question

Author Topic: Another Doremi Digital Cinema Server Question
Brian Tristam Williams
Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2006 03:52 AM      Profile for Brian Tristam Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Tristam Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our digital print of Night At the Museum arrived today, on a hard drive, with a separate key on a flash 'jump drive'.

The movie ingested painlessly, after a couple of hours. Inserted the flash drive, and, while the Ingest window opened up, nothing further from there. So, no key ingested, movie still encrypted.

Am I missing something? Should I do something differently?

|  IP: Logged

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2006 04:18 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You need to close the ingest window. Insert key in upper USB port and the ingest window should appear again with the key info.

Brian Tristam Williams
Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2006 04:23 PM      Profile for Brian Tristam Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Tristam Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That'd be great if it worked, but, problem remains as above. Thanks for trying, tho.

Jarryd Beard
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2006 11:31 PM      Profile for Jarryd Beard   Email Jarryd Beard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On ours, there is no need to close the ingest window. As long as the previous ingestion is finished, it should refresh automatically. My only advice would ensure that the USB drive is fully inserted. The Deluxe USB keys can be tricky sometimes. To be honest, if that doesn't work, the USB may be empty. Deluxe has sent us a blank USB drive, as well as keys for films we weren't showing. Get used to calling them to email a key. You can then unzip and transfer the key to your own USB key, or any one laying around. I've used Technicolor drives for Deluxe keys and vice versa. If you're in a hurry, there's not fooling around.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2006 02:12 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*points to Brian's location*
I don't think he's dealing with Deluxe.....

Though as a side note I agree that Deluxe can suck the big one. Technicolor and AccessIT have thusfar given us flawless digital print handling.

What software package is on your Doremi Brian? The ones Jaryd and I use have AccessIT's software loaded on them. I wouldn't be surprised if Paul's uses something different from that.

Without knowing anything more I have to agree with Jarryd that it could be a drive problem. Plug the drive into a computer and if nothing pops up then you know you have an issue. If you see the key on the drive when you plug it into a PC then try it in the Doremi again. With the software package I am using you can ingest from any of the USB ports-including the ones on the back-so you might want to try all of them in case one is bad.

Good luck!

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2006 02:24 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mine is just the standard Doremi with CineLister. No AccessIT software.

Brian Tristam Williams
Film Handler

- posted 12-26-2006 10:08 PM      Profile for Brian Tristam Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Tristam Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys, you've been very helpful.

Firstly, there are only two Digital Cinema installations on the African mainland. I believe ours has the largest screen, at 256 square meters (2,757 sq. ft, I think), so the Jump Drive did indeed come directly from Deluxe. Looks like I'm going to have to call them.

* I am using the standard CineLister software [didn't know there was any other available].

* There are two files of the .kdm.xml variety on the drive, but they don't show up during the ingest process. They are visible on the Doremi's Linux file manager and on my Windows PC. I'm not sure what the rules for visibility are. So that leads to a question - if the keys are not relevant, will they still show up on the ingest window?

The reason we have collectively so little experience with this is that Night at the Museum (FOX) will be only our second digital film, opening January 5th across South Africa, with sneak screenings on January 1st.

Our first digital release was Happy Feet (WARNER), and it executed flawlessly.

Hope this teaches you as much about strange Southern lands as it answers my questions.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2006 01:52 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At least with AccessIT's software package a key will show up for ingestion even if its not for that screen. Instead of saying 'Screen 7' next to the filename though it will say 'Screen Not Found'.

Paul can probably tell you how it works with the standard package.

Brian Tristam Williams
Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2006 08:22 AM      Profile for Brian Tristam Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Tristam Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seems it is the wrong key - the server serial number is apparently meant to match some of the last few digits in the .xml's filename.

I called the Deluxe helpline on +1-818-756-2492 and Daniel helped me out. Since it's 6am in LA, he has to wait to get permission from Fox to mail me a new key. I'll let y'all know how it turns out.

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2006 08:56 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can look at the XML file under IE and see the contents. It is convenient to see when the key expires, etc. You should be able to see the following:
<RequiredExtensions>
<Recipient>
<X509IssuerSerial>
<X509SubjectName>dnQualifier=zx8Y\+CXhu9iXyFvca0UySFTwIpI=,CN=LE SPB MD SM.DCP2000-999999.DC.DOLPHIN.CA.DOREMILABS.COM,OU=DOREMILABS.INC,O=CA.DOREMILABS.COM</X509SubjectName>

where 999999 is your Doremi serial number.

If Deluxe has made keys for you before, there shouldn't be any issue for them to send you a new key by email. I've called them numerous times to get keys because they didn't send renewals in time.

Jarryd Beard
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2006 01:20 PM      Profile for Jarryd Beard   Email Jarryd Beard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seems like every time I call Deluxe with key-related issues, I speak with Daniel or Micheal. They both share the same last name. I wonder if they're brothers. At least they're fast to get the new key sent out. The longest I've had to wait was probably 20-30 minutes.

A Christie tech is coming out today to swap out a Doremi for us. Last week, it stopped talking with the LMS. For AccessIt users, has anyone else noticed everything taking longer to ingest and transfer? When I talked to the tech today, he said the lastn Theatre Command Center firmware upgrade seemed to slow a lot of locations down. It's been noticeable for us. Night at the Museum took nearly five hours to ingest!

Kyle Anderson
Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2006 02:38 PM      Profile for Kyle Anderson   Email Kyle Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We haven't noticed a slowdown in ingestion here; the biggest problem for us (being Christie's guinea pigs) is the new version's transfer bugs (don't start it during a show because it won't stop [fu] )

Brian Tristam Williams
Film Handler

- posted 01-04-2007 07:51 PM      Profile for Brian Tristam Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Tristam Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well guys, indeed it was a key issue.

Thanks for all your suggestions. Several calls to Daniel, a test key, followed by the Real McCoy, and I watched the entire Night at the Museum movie tonight. Just in time too, as it opens wide in this country today (Jan 5th).

It's 3:50am now.

[eyes]

Good night y'all.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-04-2007 08:37 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jarryd Beard
It seems like every time I call Deluxe with key-related issues, I speak with Daniel or Micheal. They both share the same last name. I wonder if they're brothers.
In a way. There are actually three of them. Michael, Daniel, and Gabriel.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: