Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Kelmar projector reell arms

Author Topic: Kelmar projector reell arms
Andy Frodsham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2006 01:33 PM      Profile for Andy Frodsham   Email Andy Frodsham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After much thought we have decided to purchase two sets of Kelmar spool arms for our two Westar 2001 machines. We are contemplating the 800 series which we hope to use with 6000ft spools (plastic or aluminium).

Does anyone have any experience of using these arms? I have some doubts about the durability of the take-up clutch mechanisms which seem somewhat less sophisticated than the Westar originals. Also, we will be using 5/16th spindles. Do the reel catches stand-up well to regular use?

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-18-2006 01:44 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 7000 series arms are sturdier than the 8000 series. You probably want the extra strength if you will be running 6000' reels most of the time. Either model is fine for 2000' reels or platter use. The feed and takeup clutches work fine (and may even be identical) on both.

(And if anyone wants to sell 4x 5/16" shafts for the 35/70 variant of the Kelmar 7000 series arms, let me know; thanks!)

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-18-2006 02:26 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The catch is the week link of that unit and often breaks
The clutch if the felt is kept well oiled works very well

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 12-18-2006 02:41 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon, those Canadians are too rough on those links [Razz]

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-18-2006 02:50 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The strong reel arms are by far better
Even the spindles on the tecco arms were better

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2006 06:27 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Either series will work just fine for you, the 8000 series are lighter weight if that's an issue.

My theatre has been running 6k reels on the 8000 series arms with 5/16 spindles for at least 10 years; they are still in perfect working order, no need to worry. Go to your local auto shop and get a V-belt for the takeup, no worries about those breaking. [thumbsup]

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-19-2006 06:16 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I must admit, I'm not a fan of the 8000 series reel arms. The 7000 series are okay. The Strong/Ballantyne are much better and sturdier.

Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-19-2006 03:20 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 8000 series arms when properly maintained have proven just fine on 2000 foot max. lengths on over 250 dailies jobs with literally thousands of start/stops. For 6000' I'd go with the Strong Arms. Its a product they make that is "Strong"! The Kelmar 7000 series are nice but the Strongs are better for large reels and very comparable price wise.

Mark

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-19-2006 03:36 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No one around here has Strong arms (no pun intended) and I have never seen them. Can they accept platter guidance hardware like the Kelmars?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-19-2006 09:03 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Strong arms can accept platter guidance rollers like the Kelmars.

They are NOT priced anywhere near Kelmar's 7000 series or 8000 series. They are over twice as expensive.

I'm still not a fan of the 8000 series reel arms but I could see them in light-duty use...or with 2000' reels.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-20-2006 08:46 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 8000 arms om the systems I built always saw split reels and mainly 1000 footers. Some 2000 footers were used during rough cut work but that depended on the editors prefrence.

Mark

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 12-20-2006 11:18 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lack of durability has never been a factor in any Kelmar arm; either 7000 or 8000 series. I have a slight personal preference for the 8000 series, for any use.

FWIW: Anyone can break a 5/16" key or shaft or flip lever, if you try hard enough. This is true on any brand. Louis

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-21-2006 02:40 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer the 8000 series arms in situations where there is enough weight on the soundhead mounting bolts as it is. My screening room is a perfect example. They work just fine. What is the problem again???

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: