Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Problem with DTS XD-10

Author Topic: Problem with DTS XD-10
Samuel Andrew Wetzel
Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2006 02:32 AM      Profile for Samuel Andrew Wetzel   Email Samuel Andrew Wetzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just became aware of a problem with a DTS XD-10 player. The equipment in that particular house is as follows:

DTS XD-10
USL JSD-80 Processor
CNA-100 Automation

Please bear with me, I haven't been in this particular booth to know what's been going on since this problem was first noticed. The problem is that the DTS sound drops out and it doesn't automatically switch back to SR, the timecode reader status light is bright green, the timecode indicator led on the XD-10 is also solidly lit. However, the blue DTS playback led is not lit. According to one of the "projectionists" it drops out when a non DTS trailer comes on, and also at random reel changes. I checked the fallback format and it is listed as "automatic", so in theory it should switch to analog optical once the timecode is lost and back to digital once it finds the timecode again (according to the unit the timecode is fine though). I'm confused as to what I can check next, any suggestions other than turn the unit off and run in SR?

Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 12-14-2006 03:52 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
one thing is to try the unit with the fall back set to go to SR instead of automatic. Delete all, everything from the hard drive and reload the feature that you are currently playing. When that is done go in and delete the trailers that came on the disc that are playing with the feature.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-14-2006 08:16 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hard to say exactly what your problem is, possibly internal with the XD-10 or programming the CNA... but ust so you know there are "bugs" in the earlier DTS operating system software related to switching the cinema processor. What you select is not necessarily what you get and so on. BE sure you have the latest operating system installed into your DTS!! Sorry... am in the motel room still and don't have the current OS# handy. A quick call to Karen or Mike at DTS should get you that. The upgrade will take care of the switching problems as well as add a number of extra features that are very useful. It also prevents HD data corruption if you power the unit off and back on during boot up. At any rate doing the upgrade if needed is very important.

Mark

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2006 04:36 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
V2.0.40 is the most current version.

Mike B. Smith
Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2006 04:43 PM      Profile for Mike B. Smith   Email Mike B. Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings Samuel,
With the limited description you provided it is difficult to point directly to the problem however the first step I recommend is to update the XD10 with the latest Version 2 software. This is available at no charge from DTS, feel free to directly contact me or DTS customer service for this update. A solid green light on both the reader and player simply means it is receiving good timecode from the print, if the blue LED is not illuminated you may want to check to see if the correct feature and trailer information was loaded under the content menu. You may also want to reload the feature and trailer discs to make sure all data was downloaded. Although the XD10 reports missing data some people will bypass it on download. A simple check for proper fallback is when the film is running and the Cinema Processor is in the DTS format,block the timecode reader LED with a business card, after about four seconds the DTS should fallback to an optical format. (Fallback format will depend on how you programmed the XD10). When you remove the business card from the reader, the XD10 should immediately switch back to the DTS format, assuming good timecode is being received. Another test to make sure connections are correct and working is to go into the XD10 automation test menu and check that the Cinema Processor is being pulsed correctly. Once again first recommendation is to update your XD10.

Samuel Andrew Wetzel
Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2007 01:06 AM      Profile for Samuel Andrew Wetzel   Email Samuel Andrew Wetzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry it took so long for me to post the solution to the problem....my laptop was infected with spyware and I just got it in to fix it.

I called DTS and it turned out that they had an upgrade to fix the problem...I loaded it and everything worked perfectly. Simple fix. Thanks for the advice everyone!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: