Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Projectionniste in UK

Author Topic: Projectionniste in UK
Gilles Elbhar
Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2006 03:58 PM      Profile for Gilles Elbhar   Author's Homepage   Email Gilles Elbhar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have some questions:

- What is the component salary of projectionist in UK ?

- Is depending of the screens number ? Or it is a base salary for any screen ?

- Is projectionniste is working with a contract of work or with an other " statute " ?

- Is a projection diploma is obliged ?

Thanks for the answers.

|  IP: Logged

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2006 08:59 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"What is the component salary of projectionist in UK ?"

Will vary depending on which company you work for.

"Is depending of the screens number ? Or it is a base salary for any screen ?"

The company I work for does base its salary on how many screens the site has, however again this my vary from company to company.

"Is projectionniste is working with a contract of work or with an other " statute " ?"
"Is a projection diploma is obliged ?"

There is are no formal qualification to be a projectionist in the UK.

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2006 09:03 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Double post deleted.

Dan Harris
Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2006 11:45 AM      Profile for Dan Harris   Email Dan Harris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
- What is the component salary of projectionist in UK ?
Depends on which chain you work for. I'm a Chief/Booth Manager and earn around £17k with overtime. Some chains the Techs are salaried while in others they are paid by the hour.

- Is depending of the screens number? Or it is a base salary for any screen?
At least two of the main exhibitors' pay scales depend on how many screens in relation to how many projection booths spread over how many levels. You'll get paid more working at a 5-screen 3-booth site than you will working at an 8-screen 1-booth site. My £17k is for 4 screens with 2 booths. Though it does vary a lot and you should contact the exhibitors.

- Is a projection diploma is obliged ?
There is no formal qualiification necessary although next year the BKSTS lauch the "Certificate of Basic Competence" which is designed to prove that you can do the basics. So far the exhibitors havn't stated how they will implement it.

Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2006 04:12 PM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dan Harris
There is no formal qualiification necessary although next year the BKSTS lauch the "Certificate of Basic Competence" which is designed to prove that you can do the basics. So far the exhibitors havn't stated how they will implement it.
The main reason that this is to be implemented is that the "Projectionist" would have some qualifications to operate Moving Machinery like Projectors/Platters/Handling Xenon Lamp etc which under recent EU H&S rules is considered "Hazard Working Envioment" and currently there is no National Qualiification to be a projectionist or any personal to operate this type of Equipment.

I realy doubt now with the future D-Cinema and likely reduction in Projection Staff will see any real improvement in the Projectionist Salary or status other than a Certificate that they have reached a Basic Projection Standard.

Andy Muirhead
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2006 06:25 PM      Profile for Andy Muirhead   Email Andy Muirhead   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dan Harris
You'll get paid more working at a 5-screen 3-booth site than you will working at an 8-screen 1-booth site. My £17k is for 4 screens with 2 booths. Though it does vary a lot and you should contact the exhibitors.
After that, I'm embarassed to admit to what I get paid...

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2006 10:12 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It can't be worse than what I was on. And we were apparently the highest-paid in the chain because of our size and location.

As for qualifications, we had to pass a basic test to keep working in the booth, personally never got round to it because we were working alone a lot of the time. There was a test when you applied for a tech job as well.

Gilles Elbhar
Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2006 07:36 AM      Profile for Gilles Elbhar   Author's Homepage   Email Gilles Elbhar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you
For the comparison

To be projectionnist a diploma is obliged. It is C.A.P (certificat d’aptidude profetionnel).

Salary depanding from the company and cinematographique convention,
but salary are lowred. Pojectionnist must work 35 hours / week in maximum.
Now my salary become 13.185,05 GBP (do not forget to add Taxe !! )

Start job can be at 7 am an finish at 5 PM, but there is 3 days of vacation.

If you work in 1 screen or a multiplexe (12 screen) from the company, base salary do not change.

There was a test machine or training, when you applied for a new job.

Some company are like army or KGB

Some company change projectionnist job by a computer.

So, I am not embarassed when I get paid.

Andy Muirhead
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2006 06:09 PM      Profile for Andy Muirhead   Email Andy Muirhead   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
It can't be worse than what I was on.
Oh it can, it can.. *cough*minimum wage*cough*

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2006 06:18 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So what does this convert to in U.S. dollars?

Andy Muirhead
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2006 07:50 PM      Profile for Andy Muirhead   Email Andy Muirhead   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Minimum wage in the UK, for those over the age of 21, is £5.35 Sterling, which is $10.52 USD.

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-10-2006 01:48 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was on £5.30ph, after I left the company policy changed to not giving under 21's the 21+ minimum wage so would have been on the above until this Friday, friend of mine is in similar situation. Needless to say I was doing the job mainly out of interest.

A straight comparison with US$ is difficult because cost of living, especially in London is so much higher. You probably need to be on at least £7.00 an hour in London to be living OK.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: