Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » What's the oldest 35mm projector in use? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What's the oldest 35mm projector in use?
Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 12-05-2006 09:26 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For all you lurking corporate office folks who are considering [dlp] as a replacement to your film projectors, here's a thread I'm starting just for you.

Question for the seasoned folks here... What is the oldest 35mm or 35/70 projector you know of that is currently in common every day use? For me, I haven't been around that many old projectors. The ones we used at the University of Md seemed a little old. Maybe 20 years or so when I was there, I'm not sure. The theaters that I am currently familiar with have projectors that are pushing 20 years old, which still run fine for the most part. But I'm sure there are folks here who have worked on much older machines that are still running like tops, so let's hear the stories.

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 12-05-2006 09:44 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just for starters, any Motiograph is before 1956; any Western Electris is before WWII, any Brenkert is before 1956, etc.

Louis

Floyd Justin Newton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2006 10:03 AM      Profile for Floyd Justin Newton   Email Floyd Justin Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At one time, years ago...about 1957,I had a pair of Simplex
Regulars that were built in about 1925 that ran like a top.
I sold tham to a friend and they are STILL running like they
were brand new! They are a true "work horse". Hard to beat.
[thumbsup]

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2006 10:40 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are theatres still running Simplex E-7's, and I don't doubt that there are a few Simplex Super's still in operation.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-05-2006 12:26 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where's Mark Gulbrandsen on this one? There are plenty of oldies-but-goodies in Montana! Even our "new" projector here is 26 years old. (Simplex)

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 12-05-2006 01:47 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe the Stanley Theatre in Utica NY is still running Super Simplexes from the 1930's. I ran them at several theatres in the DC area during the 70's and 80's and ran Motiograph AAA's until about 1995, which we then replaced with probably 25 year old Simplex XL's.
A better question would be: What's the oldest digital system still running;>

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-05-2006 01:58 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Plenty of Supers still running in E.Idaho .. know of one Drive-In that has one in operation [Eek!] - Monte

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 12-05-2006 02:17 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I worked at the New Angola Theatre in Angola NY (1967-1970), we had a pair of Standard Simplex with Peerless Magnarcs. Leaked lots of oil, but were real workhorses. As far as I know, they still are using those old projectors:

http://www.newangolatheater.com/

quote:
An early 20 th century landmark, “The Theatre Angola” opened on November 25, 1924 as a silent movie house. Considered a credit to the progressive spirit of Angola, the up-to-date modern movie house constructed by Mr. & Mrs. Frank Wiatrowski offered moderate cost movies as well as 3-act vaudeville shows along with local entertainment.

The theater was converted to sound in 1929 in the early days of “talkies”. The management was leased in the early months of 1930 and operated as “The New Regent” Theater. When the lease terminated, the owners returned to management, re-opening on April 24, 1930 using the original name “The Theatre Angola”.

To remain competitive with movie houses of surrounding communities, a group of local businessmen leased the theater, made improvements in the sound system and opened on November 11, 1930 under the name “The New Angola Theater” featuring the movie “Good News”, a prophetic title as it turned out. The theater contributed to the cultural and economic stability of the community as it became an entertainment center, frequently used for a variety of public functions such as local theatricals, home-town talent shows, minstrel shows, essay contests, Christmas parties, musicals and graduation ceremonies, all of which contributed to the well being of the community.

Following previous management of Sylvester J. Graff, the property was transferred in 1948 to Mr. Richard Geitner who operated the “New Angola Theater” until his retirement in 1995, at which time the building was put up for sale.

Being closed for nearly seven years contributed to a negative impact on the business community and quality of life of the residents of this small community.

The desire of Claddagh Commission Inc. to give something back to the community which embraces them, and at the same time provide meaningful work opportunities for the individuals they serve, resulted in their decision to purchase, re-store and re-open the vacant theater.

Significant to this reality is the fact that under Claddagh's positive and sensitive leadership, the theater, as the cornerstone of the business district will survive, providing not only needed employment, but wholesome entertainment once again thus enriching the lives of all in the community. Claddagh re-opened the New Angola Theater with a grand opening on the evening of May 17, 2002 featuring dinner and a movie.

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2006 03:45 PM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a Victoria 4E which I believe was one of the first bunch and also 2 Victoria 6B projectors. Those projectors are dated 1950 I believe and the 4E 1948.
Demetris

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2006 03:45 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Just for starters, any Motiograph is before 1956; any Western Electric is before WWII, any Brenkert is before 1956, etc.
The Clayton Theatre in Dagsboro, Delaware has two Motiographs still in use daily.

www.theclaytontheatre.com

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-05-2006 04:02 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Until it closed this fall, the York Beach Cinema in York, Maine was using its original Kaplan (Simplex Standard clone) projectors, which dated from 1926. The Western Electric bases came later, when they converted to sound in the 1930s. I believe that the Peerless lamps were original as well. I don't know if this counts, however, as the theatre was only open seasonally.

-

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-05-2006 05:45 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
Even our "new" projector here is 26 years old. (Simplex)

Gee, Mike, That XL is still a "baby" being 26yrs old .. not even broke in yet..

-Monte

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2006 05:53 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know of one cinema historian that has put on authentic shows/film festivals using restored and fully working EARLY projectors from the dawn of motion picture.

www.silentmovies.com

Ron Curran
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2006 07:43 PM      Profile for Ron Curran   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Curran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking at old projectors, we could say it's like the reliable axe that's only had 3 new heads and 5 new handles. There's a lot of new superstructure on most old projectors.

A cinema in our region has a pair of C & W machines operating every week. I think they were made in the 40s and overhauled in the 90s.

I believe that the only thing I can change on my digital projector is the lamps and the filter. Overhauling it will probably mean hauling it over to the dump.

Robert Throop
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2006 08:02 PM      Profile for Robert Throop   Email Robert Throop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Martin McCaffery

I believe the Stanley Theatre in Utica NY is still running Super Simplexes from the 1930's.

The Stanley is running XL's that were installed in 1960. They're backed up by Core Lite 135's.
Bob

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: