Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Sound format automation question... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Sound format automation question...
Tom Wienholt
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2006 12:24 AM      Profile for Tom Wienholt   Email Tom Wienholt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wanted to know if it would be possible to use the dowser open/close automation terminals to change sound formats. (non-sync to film and film to non-sync at the end of a show) The dowser feed could be attached to the sound format ground, the open dowser terminal to film, and close dowser terminal to non-sync. Is this possible?

|  IP: Logged

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2006 01:00 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anything is possible however if you have a douser requiring current (as most do) you can't just pulse it from a sound change-over relay because those only close a ground loop in most cases.

What kind of equipment are you working on?
Douser, processor, automation?

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2006 07:38 AM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just take 2 120volt relays and hook up the dowser open pulse to one of the coils and the close pulse to the other one. Then use the dry contacts to pulse the automation.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-05-2006 08:50 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
just make sure that it is dry contacts that one uses

Tom Wienholt
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2006 12:55 PM      Profile for Tom Wienholt   Email Tom Wienholt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am using a Christie AM-3 automation and a Dolby CP55 processor.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2006 02:36 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the problem that the AM-3 doesn't pulse the sound and douser at the same time? It's got separate output terminals for both, right?

Forgive my ignorance, but I don't see the actual problem?

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2006 08:50 AM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think the AM-3 has the capability to pulse for sound format changes.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 12-06-2006 01:45 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is correct; that is why the 2 120v relays are needed. Louis

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2006 02:08 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, I misread the manual. My bad.

Tom Wienholt
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2006 11:18 PM      Profile for Tom Wienholt   Email Tom Wienholt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Gordon McLeod
just make sure that it is dry contacts that one uses

How can the terminals be tested to make sure that they are dry contacts?

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2006 12:46 AM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The dry contacts are the ones NOT hooked up to the coil. You have the wiper in the middle. Then you have a set of contacts on either side. Hook the wiper to your ground on the automation switching on the processor. Then hook the normally open contact to the sound change (stereo, non sync,,etc...) The normally open contact is the one that the wiper is NOT making contact with when the relay is at rest (No power to it). Use one relay for stereo and one for non sync. Splice a wire from your C/O open pulse to one side of the coil on the relay and the other side of the coil goes to neutral. That is your stereo relay. Same for the other relay but use a wire from the C/O close pulse.That relay is for nonsync. Use 2 120volt AC relays

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-08-2006 09:56 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard said "The dry contacts are the ones NOT hooked up to the coil"
no a dry contact is one that has no voltage source present on it
in effect it is a contact that is connected to nothing

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2006 11:14 AM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is true but I'm just trying to make it simple for him to understand the contacts on the relay.

Tom Wienholt
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2006 05:44 PM      Profile for Tom Wienholt   Email Tom Wienholt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I understand why the use of the relays would be necessary. But, isn't it possible on some automations to use the dowser open close terminals to pulse the sound without the need of the relays. If you have no current hooked up to the dowser feed terminal then why would you need the relays. Basically, does the 120v AC come from the automation itself or from some sort of dowser power supply hooked up to the automation?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-08-2006 06:06 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some automations have dry contacts on the changeover and some are fed with power internaly

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: