Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Surround levels on CP650 are too low. Do I need a laptop?

Author Topic: Surround levels on CP650 are too low. Do I need a laptop?
Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2006 08:14 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't seem to find out how to check the surround levels (from the processor) on our CP650. We have gotten several complaints no one can hear the surrounds. When I check it out, I can hear them, but they are set pretty low. Is this an adjustment that requires a laptop?

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-04-2006 11:34 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now, are these complaints coming from dialog movies? If so, then the surrounds are not active during a dialog simply that this information isn't needed for these speakers..

no, one can use pink noise and an SPL meter to chek for 82dB from surrounds with the fader on "7".

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2006 12:06 AM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These were complaints about low surround levels when they should be higher. The same movie, in another auditorium, had higher surround levels (more ambient sound) and simply sounded much better. We have had quite a few complaints in this auditorium about patrons thinking the sound is only in stereo, and not digital surround. When I go into the theater, I notice the surround channels working, however, they are a bit low. I was wondering if a laptop was needed to change the levels in the CP650? I've got the setup software and was curious if that software was needed in conjunction with a laptop to change the levels.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-05-2006 08:54 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would contact the engineer who installed it and have them deal with it
Adjusting it for any reason can void a warranty on the installation
To set the level one will need a SPL meter

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 12-05-2006 09:41 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is remotely possible that the OTHER room is wrong; do let your sound installer deal with it. Louis

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: