Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Dolby Screentalk

Author Topic: Dolby Screentalk
William Phillips
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2006 03:38 AM      Profile for William Phillips   Author's Homepage   Email William Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am looking into Dolby screen talk.
With a print that has a high or reverting SRD track how does it effect the audio description and subtitling.
If any of the UK members have screen talk, I would love to have a chat about it, Please email me.

|  IP: Logged

Justin Gorka
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2007 12:47 PM      Profile for Justin Gorka   Email Justin Gorka   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just noticed your screen talk question. I had it in Swindon and had no problems IF we got the discs on time. A lot less fuss than the DTS system!

William Phillips
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2007 01:17 PM      Profile for William Phillips   Author's Homepage   Email William Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have got the system in now in one of the screens. Works like a treat, even with a bad print. Have found Dolby very helpfull at getting back titles, and have started getting the forthcoming disks as well [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2007 01:20 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Subtitles are done through a seperate projector which superimposes them on the screen, so they run pretty well.

Never heard the audio description, how does it work? Do you only get the AD through the headset or both soundtrack and AD?

Found the system pretty easy to use, and only occasionally goes wrong, couldn't tell you why or how, but since you should be there at the start of the feature anyway a reboot takes under a minute and solved any issues we had.

William Phillips
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2007 04:06 PM      Profile for William Phillips   Author's Homepage   Email William Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can have either through the headset, depends on what system you have and number of channels.

Our I/R system you can select either A/D, Sound track or have both at the same time, its actually supposed to be used for stereo music etc.

The A/D track is great fun to listen to, they describe pretty much everything that goes on. Its done in between the dialogue. But in all seriousness, it will benefit a lot of cinema goers. We do have a few customers who bring someone to describe the films.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-24-2007 06:10 AM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While descriptive audio allows severly visually impaired people to go to a movie, can this product really be worth the investment? Based on statistics that I have seen, maybe 3% of the population is considered visually impaired. Of this number over 1/2 are elderly. If you look at moviegoing statistics, young people make up the majority of moviegoers.

Is it really worth spending a few thousand dollars so that a miniscule percentage of people can basically pay a lot of money to listen to a radio show? Wouldn't that money be better spend upgrading normal equipment that everybody in the audience can enjoy?

Now, if blind charitable organizations wanted to foot the bill of purchase and installation, I'd have no problem with it but it makes no business sense at all.

William Phillips
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-24-2007 07:27 AM      Profile for William Phillips   Author's Homepage   Email William Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is worth it.
Once people realise you have the equipment in and it works, they will market it for you.
Just got to put the work in to begin with and away it goes.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 01-24-2007 08:09 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lyle; In the USA it is a required government mandate to accomodate everyone. It is not up to you and me.(But I agree with you in concept.) LOuis

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-24-2007 11:18 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's kind of the same here, the law says something like 'must make fair and reasonable provision for', but in true legal fashion does not define what fair and reasonable provision is. For example, a cinema I know of closed because the were looking at having to spend a huge amount of money to install a stair lift or similar device for the mobility impaired.
Now is that fair and reasonable? Well the local disablity organisations didn't think so and publicly said so, the local council had a different view, and were pushing them to do this work or face refusal to renew the exhibition licence. So the owners had little choice but to give up, the towns people, both able bodied and mobility impaired lost their only cinema, and the town gained another buidling slowly going derelict.

The screentalk is another can of worms, I can't think of anywhere I've come across where it would be physically impossible to install it, however as it requires SRD to be installed for it to function, I've come across a lot of places where it would be expensive to install it, especially now that the DA20 is no longer available. This can make it financially non-viable for small exhibitors, so forcing them to have this equipment by legla means will put them out of business.

There is of course the DTS option for such sites, I have installed DTS titling systems in cinemas with mono sound.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-24-2007 12:55 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
Lyle; In the USA it is a required government mandate to accomodate everyone. It is not up to you and me.(But I agree with you in concept.)
While this is true, there is some kind of a limit. For example, roller coasters don't have to be wheelchair accessible. Specifically with respect to movie theaters, it is reasonable to have to be wheelchair accessible because once somebody in a wheelchair is in an auditorium they can experience the movie. On the other hand, descriptive audio is not part of the way a movie was made. Unfortunately (and if I could I would cure blindness), a blind person can not experience a movie becuase it is a visual medium. Just the same, even if somebody described a painting for a blind person, they can't truly experience it because they can't see it.

It would be ridiculous if the government required descriptive audio which costs thousands per auditorium to install. Luckily for smaller exhibitors they haven't yet. Maybe you could say it is reasonable on a Digital Cinema installation where the only additional equipment would be a couple of hundred dollar transmitter (on a $100,000 plus total cost and I'm assuming the DC server can just send the audio to a relatively cheap device) but it isn't reasonable in a 35mm auditorium where it requires thousands of dollars of separate equipment.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 01-24-2007 01:41 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was recently asked if "it was possible" to add descriptive audio to film. While not all titles are available, a few are.

In a legal sense, we are now "required."

This is the same logic used to mandate fire supression in popcorn machines, although I have never seen an uncontrolled fire. Louis

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: