Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » CP65 aux input

Author Topic: CP65 aux input
Andy Frodsham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2006 04:21 AM      Profile for Andy Frodsham   Email Andy Frodsham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're a very small university based theatre running part-time. We have just installed a new DTS unit and facilities for digital projection (not full digital cinema). Our existing Denon DVD player is hooked-up through the CP65 using the non sync input. Would there be any benefit (and is it possible) to input the various output channels directly from the DVD player to the aux input of the CP65? [Confused]

|  IP: Logged

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2006 06:16 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As long as you have discrete 6 channel RCA outputs from your DVD player then that would give you either Dolby Digital or DTS encoding and playback as long as the DVD disc is encoded in that way. On the other hand, it would be wise to check the DVD player setup menu to see if you can adjust the output levels of each channel so as to have the screen channels at 85 db and the surrounds at 82 or 83 db and the subwoofer at 90db but no more otherwise it will not be pleasant for ear hearing. If you keep the outputs as it is then probably you will be booming the surrounds and subwoofer and keep the screen channels low which will not create a good playback sound.
Best Regards
Demetris

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 11-19-2006 07:33 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Normally DVD players have significantly more output than the 500 mv needed on the CP-65. Luckily it is usually easier to lose level than it is to increase it. Louis

Andy Frodsham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2006 12:36 PM      Profile for Andy Frodsham   Email Andy Frodsham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the replies guys. We were thinking of hooking-up the DVD player via a separate (domestic type) DTS/Dolby processor. This would give us other input possibilities via the aux input on the CP65.

I note your comments about dropping the output levels of the DVD player (or any other 'line-out' type domestic devices!

I'll let you know how it all sounds when I get time to experiment.

Andy Frodsham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2006 12:06 PM      Profile for Andy Frodsham   Email Andy Frodsham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richie,

Thankyou so much for your reply.

Using the mag/aug inputs on the CP65 I'm not sure what connections to go for. The surround inputs seem to be (left/right) combined and I can't see any sub at all!

Our Denon DVD-2910 does indeed have adjustable levels. It will be good to output Dolby Digital or DTS soundtracks direct to the CP65.

Warm wishes and thanks for your help.

Andy

Joel N. Weber II
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-29-2006 01:41 AM      Profile for Joel N. Weber II   Email Joel N. Weber II   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Using the mag/aug inputs on the CP65 I'm not sure what connections to go for. The surround inputs seem to be (left/right) combined and I can't see any sub at all!
I believe the mag/aux input on the CP-65 does indeed only have four channels, and the only 6 channel input is the one used by the DTS unit. I think if you want to use all six channels from the DVD player, you probably need an external switch box of some sort that will switch between the DTS player and the DVD player.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 11-29-2006 06:25 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can go into the multi pin input of the dts (dts 6d??). Switching will occur automatically whenever the dts is switched off. This will put you directly into the cp65 digital input and you will have all channels incl left/rt surrounds. Louis

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-30-2006 07:04 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With the DTS 6d you will need the relay break out board if you want to share the input on the DTS6d
If it a DTS6 then the relays are internal

Andy Frodsham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2006 04:35 AM      Profile for Andy Frodsham   Email Andy Frodsham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the continued feedback on my first posting.

I note your comments about the DTS unit switching. We have an XD10 DTS media player installed in our booth. Will this make any difference to the proposed additional circuit?

I had thought of building some sort of two-way switch (to select the DVD output or DTS unit) using relays!

Joel N. Weber II
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2006 10:26 PM      Profile for Joel N. Weber II   Email Joel N. Weber II   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you using the cat64 cards to equalize the room? If you are, that's probably a good reason to run the DVD player through the CP65.

Some venues end up with digital crossover boxes after the CP65, and some of those can also do equalization, in which case setting the cat64 cards flat might make sense. On some occasions, those digital crossover boxes may even happen to have inputs for multiple sources. If all of those conditions were met, you might want to think about feeding the DVD player into the crossover. (Of course, then the CP65 fader wouldn't affect the DVD volume.)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: