Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Toshiba Photophone TPP10 (Made 1976)

Author Topic: Toshiba Photophone TPP10 (Made 1976)
Glen Rich
Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2006 09:40 AM      Profile for Glen Rich   Email Glen Rich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Toshiba Photophone TPP10 (Made 1976)
Come Wednesday I'm supposed to be servicing one of the above. I've never seen one before and can't find a manual for the thing anywhere.
Can someone tell me what it's a knockoff, (copy), of?
Being of Japanese '70's manufacture it would probably be an almost perfect copy of another brands projector head.

|  IP: Logged

Fred Georges
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2006 11:02 AM      Profile for Fred Georges   Email Fred Georges   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw one once. Seemed to be a copy of an RCA/Brenkert though i didn't see the gear train.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-18-2006 11:28 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The soundhead is a copy of the RCA photophone soundhead and they had copies of the MI1050 MI9050 and the MI1030 and MI9030

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 11-18-2006 02:57 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The TP10 gear train is a mix of DP70 Phillips...a dose of Brenkert...and some Simplex XL ideas on steriods. The soundhead is direct RCA Photophone copy with most 50HZ parts identical. The projector is now made in India. Most parts are available from that country and the stars and cams from Japan.
There is a 52 page manual dated November 1980 and additions (new style gate and addition of lens turret) from 2002.

Phillip Grace
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2006 09:52 PM      Profile for Phillip Grace   Email Phillip Grace   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Entertainment Services Theatrical in Brisbane seem to know a bit about these machines. The few I have seen have been completely worn out, and very unpleasant to operate as a result. Village Theatre Supplies imported a lot of them in the 1970's. They are often to be found in Village Twin Cinemas of the period.

Interesting to hear that parts are still obtainable. Do you have any contact information, Richard?

Glen Rich
Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2006 07:09 AM      Profile for Glen Rich   Email Glen Rich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you gentlemen. After reading the above advice and getting a few pictures of the projector e-mailed to me, then downloading some of the manuals available here, I've found that the Brenkert BX 100 bears the closest physical resemblance.
It seems Richard is right though, it's a conglomeration of head types in one unit.
Again, thank you very much.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-19-2006 12:27 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds like a Japaneese projector thatI have. Mine is a 16/35 machine with DP-70 similaritites in the projector and RCA similarities in the sound reproducer. I will post photos Monday.

Mark

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 11-20-2006 08:56 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do handle the Photophone parts and have (2) TP10 units in starage. Very little call for parts, generally sprocket and trap parts. Manufacture location on label and serial number helps.

Glen Rich
Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2006 05:14 PM      Profile for Glen Rich   Email Glen Rich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Opened it up and serviced the TP-10 yesterday, Wednesday, and found the internals more Simplex than Brenkert.
The Projector is used for an outdoor venue, and subsequently only used about 4 months each year. It was restored and serviced prior to sale to the current owner, and has done only about 400 hours since purchased.
The only issues I could find with it was the old oil, it hadn't been replaced in about 2 years. So once drained and flushed, and refilled she ran a little smoother. And a slightly lose arm for the sound drum lay on roller, which frankly I couldn't figure out how to fix, so they keep using the elastic band they've used for the last 2 years, (unless any of you has an idea of how to fix it).
Apart from the above the equipment was remarkably clean, due more to the lack of use the equipment gets than anything else, and in very good condition.

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 08-12-2013 02:08 AM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 2454 days since the last post.

Diwakar Thyagarajan
Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2013 02:08 AM      Profile for Diwakar Thyagarajan   Email Diwakar Thyagarajan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Mr. Richard Fowler
I happened to own a Photophone Projector now..I got it from a theatre in Chennai. Do you have a copy of the operations manual or the service manual...?? I so happens that none of the theatres of the operators have a copy..they only know to operate the machines and do not own a operations or service manual with them...

Robert Koch
Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2013 03:15 PM      Profile for Robert Koch   Email Robert Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glen; The tension for the pressure roller is supplied by a spring loaded ball on the lower half of the pressure roller. To correct you musr take the assembly apart, [dont lose the ball]and stretch the spring, reinstall the ball and reassemble the pressure roller assembly. In a changeover house this would manifest itself as garbled sound at start up. A rubber band wouldnt correct it.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: