Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Help! where to find right cable...

Author Topic: Help! where to find right cable...
Jeff Else
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2006 02:29 PM      Profile for Jeff Else   Email Jeff Else   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am hooking up a dolby MPU-1 to a smart mod V processor with raw wires on the dolby end and DB25 on the smart end. I know which channels correspond to the pins, but I need to find a DB25 cable that has open wires on the other end labled for which pins they represent, and i can't seem to find this! where can I get this?

thanks,
jeff

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-15-2006 02:34 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quite simply,

You make one! Or you pay to have one made. There was a time...say when the MPU was in full swing that cables were simply made on site. It wasn't until the later years that Dolby offered the MPU to CP200 cable (and it wasn't a very good one either).

Steve

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-15-2006 02:40 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or just go to your local computer store, buy a serial cable with the appropriate DB25 connectors, and cut it in half. You'll have to trace the wires to the pins yourself, though.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-15-2006 10:36 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Or this might be more up your alley.

Jeff Else
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2006 12:18 AM      Profile for Jeff Else   Email Jeff Else   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
that board is perfect! although I might try to make my own first... ideas for teqniques in determining which wires are which pins? also... the smart mod V has straight wire inputs as well as a db25 for digital... would the hard wire inputs be acceptable for mag in? (obviously only on a temporary basis, as we will only be showing 70 for one or two speccial event shows) is the signal strength the same? or does mag need to be processed differently?

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 11-17-2006 09:52 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't quite understand what you mean by determining since you will be doing the wiring yourself, but if in doubt, checking for continuity with the multimeter is always a good idea.
That adapter looks nice, but I guess it can get crowded in there quickly when you hook up a larger number of wires. The input opening on the right looks a little narrow.
I got hooked on the AMP crimping stuff though, it's so easy and quick, but since the tool itself isn't exactly cheap, for a one-time job this kind of adapter or simply soldering onto a fresh connector may be preferable.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: