Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Framing Question (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Framing Question
Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-14-2006 09:18 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Im running Santa Clause III in two houses. I never adjust framing to the trailer pak, but wait for the feature. On this movie, I have noticed that if I get what I think is good framing, I will cut off the top of the yellow line at the top of the screen when the out-takes are playing. I've set the framing so that I can just see the yellow line.

Other operators at this theatre are driving me crazy with their adjustments of my framing. Gawd, I wish I could lock the framing knob!

On a similar topic, Running With Scissors has titles very low on the scope screen. After adjusting the framing to make it look good, someone came along and set the framing low on the screen so that when the title came up, it was slightly cut off by the masking on the screen. My warnings posted at the projector, have been ignored.

How do you handle several people running the equipment?

I never thread out of frame, either. It's not rocket science, as you know.

|  IP: Logged

Justin Gorka
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-14-2006 09:43 PM      Profile for Justin Gorka   Email Justin Gorka   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have similar problems, but I've 14 screens to correct. Drives me potty. Mostly I think it is sloppy lacing up that's not in rack!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-14-2006 09:56 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
So lock the godamn framers down. Problem solved!

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-14-2006 10:37 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tried that approach and it didn't work. Some people just don't get it. they think the framing knob is there to correct their threading problems. I showed everyone time after time after time that I could thread a projector and start it up in frame without touching the framing knob. Some "threaders" seem content with doing it their way and if the big boss doesnt want to do anything about it, then its something you have to live with until they leave. If I could fire them..I would, its inexcusable, but alas, it must be tolerated. I feel for you Bruce.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-14-2006 10:44 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I took all the knobs off at the 6 plex I used to work at.
Train them to thread properly, make all your splices correctly, and you'll never have a problem.
At first it's like "oh how dare you make me show some interest in my job" but after a while they get used to it...

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-14-2006 11:51 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Bruce's problem (and one shared by many) is that he apparantly isn't in a supervisory position so his ability to punish the other threaders for poor performance is non-existant. He is also likely unable to lock down/remove the framing knobs without angering his supervisor.

Feel for you man.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-14-2006 11:54 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
A theater's presentation is only as good as it's worst projectionist.

Sadly, it only takes one.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-15-2006 12:29 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I locked down the framing knobs at a 16-plex I worked at. Only one little goofball complained, and that only lasted for a few weeks since I ignored his complaints. But Bruce's problem sounds like it has a bit more to do with the screen and lens not being ideal matches for each other.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 11-15-2006 12:58 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bruce, isn't your projector the one where the fratistat freezes up? You know... The fratistat that's connected to the spline on the end of the cam. If that happens, you can't turn the framing knob anymore. Remember? [Wink]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-15-2006 02:49 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hate to argue this point, but I think locking the framing device or removing the knobs or whatever is just stupid. It's like removing the headlights on your car because you don't ever plan on driving at night.

Mistakes and slipups do happen, especially with late-Friday print deliveries. I would much rather have the ability to make a one-second correction to the framing than have to shut down the show for a re-thread.

Any booth people who are too idiotic to be able to thread and splice in frame should be canned. Problem solved.

Blaine Young
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2006 03:55 PM      Profile for Blaine Young   Email Blaine Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the subject of framing, has anyone see the very odd printing that was done on the Flat trailers for "Deja Vu". Normally when a scope film is printed for flat trailers, they center the 2.35 image in the 1.85 frame and you get the standard letterbox effect. For some reason, all of the flat v2 trailers I've seen for this film have the image flush with the top masking, which creates this huge black area under the image. We have several complaints from people saying the image is "up too high".

This is the first time I've seen a trailer printed this way. The first one I just wrote up as a 'one-off' printing mistake, but I've now seen 3 copies with the same issue.

Matthew Peters
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2006 04:47 PM      Profile for Matthew Peters   Email Matthew Peters   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Blaine,
Couldn't you just 'chop off 3/4' of a frame (at the start)?

Blaine Young
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2006 04:57 PM      Profile for Blaine Young   Email Blaine Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You could chop off 3/4 of the frame, but then the image will ride the lower masking and leave the huge gap at the top. You would actually have to cut off 1/8 of a frame = which isn't easily done [Smile]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-15-2006 05:31 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea..I've seen a couple of misprinted "hard matte" trailers like this where it wasn't completely centered in the frame area - just a bugger to work with, or just take the trailer off if the hassle is too much from the audience (unless, you have trailer chekers in your circuit that is checking for this trailer to be on certain features...), or wait for some more versions of the trailer to come your way, via in the cans or special order...

-Monte

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2006 10:03 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all the comments. I am not alone. I know that.

Joe: My lenses and masking are all right. With no film in the gate, there is just a very slight even overshoot of the white light on the masking. My tech is very careful about this.

We are running Christie PG35's in all houses. Today, I put big "NO" stickers on the framing knobs. Probably wont make a difference, but its an effort.

You guys are right. I am not the supervisor, but am the only person besides my GM that build prints, and we both do it the same way, and never have framing issues. I have had several good "school" sessions for the other operators, and only one will admit to ever adjusting the framing, and I tend to think he thought he was doing things right, until I pointed out to him that trailers are allover the place in the frame.

I will continue doing things right if it kills the kids!!! [Big Grin]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: