Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » No Surrounds in SR on DTS Unit

Author Topic: No Surrounds in SR on DTS Unit
Jason Setzer
Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2006 09:40 AM      Profile for Jason Setzer   Email Jason Setzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have surrounds in digital just not in SR, any theories? Does it have anything to do with the analog board?

The DTS unit is a 6ad and the analog is a D744

[ 11-13-2006, 03:11 PM: Message edited by: Jason Setzer ]

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 11-11-2006 09:42 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What model analog processor do you have? Louis

Chris Trainor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2006 10:32 AM      Profile for Chris Trainor   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Trainor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Louis,

the 6AD is a analog/digital processor.

--Chris

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2006 10:35 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have your technician check the A-Chain on the projector. Perhaps you only get 1 channel in instead of both. Do you have sound coming from the front left and right speakers or is it just coming out from the centre or only left or only right?
Demetris

Jason Setzer
Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2006 10:39 AM      Profile for Jason Setzer   Email Jason Setzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I added the 6AD after Louis replied. I did an achain on the projector and sound was coming out front left and front right, I also set the slit loss.

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2006 10:42 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You mean that you had both left and right channels from your stereo solar cell / Reverse scan reader coming in the DTS6AD unit right?

Jason Setzer
Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2006 10:43 AM      Profile for Jason Setzer   Email Jason Setzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Correct , I was also saying that during normal play in SR Screen Left and Screen right speakers are working.

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2006 11:02 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One quick test you could do is reverse the L+ with the L- connection (or the R+ with the R-) ONE channel of the two though not both and then the sound that should be coming from screen speakers will leak from the surrounds. If this does not happen then perhaps a board has a problem although I am not fully familiar with the DTS6AD unit. You get sound from the Surrounds when playing on DTS? Do you also have an external DA20 unit which also plays the surrounds? Do you have another DTS6AD unit in your venue with which you could swap the DSP or the analog board? (analog board D744 top and DSP D741 middle). Has this been an issue from installation date or has it just started?
Demetris

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-11-2006 01:33 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also the Dolby surround test film comes in very handy for that purepose as does a copy of Jiffy

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-11-2006 01:47 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*gasp* the 6AD units...bet the DSP board (the middle one) is giving you fits..

....swap it out with another 6AD unit and see if the prob travels. In fact you can swap out the two lower boards with another 6AD unit to see if the problem travels..

...if you know how to do SPL settings on the 6AD unit and with a SPL meter, you can chek that out as well...

good luck - Monte

Jason Setzer
Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2006 12:54 PM      Profile for Jason Setzer   Email Jason Setzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok I tried switching the L- and L+ connection yet still no surronds, also switched analog boards and no surronds. Will try to switch DSP boards in next intermission

Monte would the SPL matter if the surronds are working in digital?

[ 11-12-2006, 02:19 PM: Message edited by: Jason Setzer ]

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-12-2006 04:24 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I beleive there is a optical surround level trim if memory serves

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-12-2006 08:50 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Jason. Check this manual out on areas to tune in those surrounds and see if what Gord says about optical surrounds, for it's been 4 yrs since I last saw a 6AD unit and since have really forgotten quite a bunch of this processor...

good luck - Monte

Jason Setzer
Film Handler

- posted 11-13-2006 03:09 PM      Profile for Jason Setzer   Email Jason Setzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok I switched all boards out and still nothing.

The only way I can even get faint surrounds is to turn the trimpots for them all the way up on the Analog board. I couldt find anything to do with optical surround trim

Jason Setzer
Film Handler

- posted 11-13-2006 05:54 PM      Profile for Jason Setzer   Email Jason Setzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok so it was a couple things, by turning the surround trimpots up and the Analog HF down I was able to get surronds! Thanks everyone for their help

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: