Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Helios lamps

Author Topic: Helios lamps
Jordan Dee
Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2006 07:10 PM      Profile for Jordan Dee   Email Jordan Dee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it just me or does anyone else think these things are a bear to get focused right? I mean I hate these things, but it's all I have to work with in my Simplex 35 super highlight II. We were running 4500's but now they switched us to 3005 Helios LTI's because they said they will be just as good, I beg to differ...

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 11-02-2006 08:29 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A little bit more light for a (very) short period of time. Louis

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-03-2006 05:14 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, I got a good dozen of 2k LTI's in my storeroom that have failed LONG before warranty hours that needs to go back for warranty credit.

True, excellent colorful light which really brightens up the screen and makes the picture more definied, but CRAPPY lifespan with them.. Even with one Helios we were trying out, did managed to get warranty hours but just barely over that
before failing out with bad flickering.

Massively dissapointed with these bulbs.. Time to head back to Christie bulbs...

-Monte

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 11-03-2006 08:41 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The focus mechanism in the Highlight II is sloppy and we had to add thrust washers to eliminate end play and drifting.

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2006 10:48 AM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
True, excellent colorful light which really brightens up the screen and makes the picture more definied, but CRAPPY lifespan with them..

Massively dissapointed with these bulbs.. Time to head back to Christie bulbs...

I think I'll stay with Osram!

quote: Monte L Fullmer
Even with one Helios we were trying out, did managed to get warranty hours but just barely over that
before failing out with bad flickering.

Did they replaced it with new one ???

Also how long (hours) did helios lamp work good?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-07-2006 02:23 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...From our experiences with the LTI, they are just a bulb that is not as forgiving with rectifiers as with Christie or Osram (why I like Christie, is their reliability and quality that we've had with them in the past..), and if you have a rectifier that has some age on it - which could easily contain some dried out caps - they tend to display flicker problems well before their warranty period..and that includes the Helios.

If you have a tired rectifer, plan on LTI's to fail out under warranty. If you have a new or very strong rectifier, then the LTI can give you the light as promised.

What I also heard is that they really like being used in the reactance (diode) rectifiers than usage in switching rectifiers.

Where the weakness is is the ripple output of the rectifier. Excessive DC ripple is what these bulbs don't like.

The one Helios that I did have (a 2k bulb for a Strong X-90 console) did pass warranty (which the 2k Helios are only warranted for 1500 hrs..) but it had to come out at 2300 hrs...well short of what a Christie, or Osram can last on a usual run.

As for warranty returns and credits: that depends on the dealer that handles these bulbs. The one supplier that we went through did give us a credit for warranty, but didn't replace the bulb.

In a nutshell, these bulbs DO give out the light and color temperature in Kelvin as advertised - both the standard LTI's and the Helios. BUT, they are designed for newer power supplies ... not tired ones..

good luck - Monte

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: