Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Dolby CP650 processor tech question

Author Topic: Dolby CP650 processor tech question
Al Hopfer
Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2006 08:22 AM      Profile for Al Hopfer   Email Al Hopfer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, my question is regarding reading the block number (time code) off the read-head into a CP650 sound processor and out the Serial Data port (rear of processor). This (I believe) involves using the Dolby Reader Alignment Program (on a PC plugged into this serial port). Basically I need to "turn-on" a data stream of timecode information out this serial port to be used with an external unit. The DA10, DA20 and CP500 outputs this timecode data continuously as a default. It appears this 650-port must be enabled to stream the timecode data (rather than simply Set-up or adjustment data). I do not have a copy of the Dolby Reader Alignment Program software. I assume I need this? And are my other assumptions correct. Thank you. Al

|  IP: Logged

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2006 02:08 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was able to plug my laptop right into the CP650 and get information right away (using CP650 setup software and Dolby Reader Alignment Software). I don't know that theres and on/off mode for the serial port. I say get the software, plug in your laptop, and it should work just fine. You do need the correct software in order to communicate with the unit..if that was your question...simply plugging a laptop into the serial port without and software running that can decode the information simply wont work.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 10-26-2006 12:57 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can download Dolby's software from the Manuals section of this site. If you have reverse engineered any part of the data format, though, I think we'd all appreciate your posting a summary, if you have it conveniently.

It would be nice to have better software than [Win-]DRAS for routine use, esp. for QC purposes.

--jhawk

Alexander Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2006 06:39 PM      Profile for Alexander Smith   Email Alexander Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I realise it's a bit far-fetched, but an open-source version of
WinDRAS which isn't fussy about which COM port it uses, displays
all that information such as block number e.t.c. and runs on
your favourite operating system (whatever that may be) would
be a very useful bit of software.

I think it's beyond my programming and reverse engineering
skill, being realistic.

Alex.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 10-27-2006 01:36 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Norm at Dolby sent me this document Interface Document: Synchronization of External Equipment to: Model DA10 Digital Film Sound Processor; Model DA20 Digital Film Sonud Processor; Model CP500 Digital Cinema Processor.

It doesn't address how to make the 650 start, but it does give some overview of the format, as well as telling you how to parse the reel and block numbers.

I've emailed a copy to Brad for the manuals section.

--jhawk

Fabrice Dubourg
Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2006 12:10 PM      Profile for Fabrice Dubourg   Email Fabrice Dubourg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
for the CP650, it's on the ethernet port!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: