Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Cat 158 replacement in CP200 by Showscan

Author Topic: Cat 158 replacement in CP200 by Showscan
Serge Bosschaerts
Film Handler

- posted 10-23-2006 10:56 AM      Profile for Serge Bosschaerts   Author's Homepage   Email Serge Bosschaerts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the Aux unit of my CP200; I found that the cat158 card is replaced with a card made by Showscan.
It says 'Discrete Stereo Soundboard','Replacement board for cat158 Dolby CP200'.

What's the function of this card ?

Serge

|  IP: Logged

Robert Minichino
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-23-2006 11:43 AM      Profile for Robert Minichino   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Minichino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The original Cat 158 took the Le and Re tracks, high-passed them, added in the S track (original Todd-AO mono surround), and sent them out; it low-passed Le and Re, summed them (because they originally contained subs on Dolby 70mm mag), and puts it out on the sub channel.

My best guess is that the card you've got does away with the extra low/high pass processing and routes Le/Re directly to Lb/Rb (P/Q).

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-25-2006 07:13 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I met the man that modded that CP-200 today at Showeast and he asked me to post the output mode for you here. Also check the CAT 153 70mm switch card for other mods he may have made to that diode matrix to get the 158 card to switch the way it now is. It can easily all be put back to normal if you want to... or de-Showscaned so to say. He also mentioned that the low pass switch still should work on the 158 and it functions at 40 hz in one position.

The outputs of the 200 should be as follows....
1=L 2=LS 3=C 4=RS 5=R 6=Sub

I hope I got his wording correct but if not he will probably see it and let me know if it needs changing.

Serge Bosschaerts
Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2006 08:52 AM      Profile for Serge Bosschaerts   Author's Homepage   Email Serge Bosschaerts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, thanks Mark, just checked the 153 mag card, has not been modified.
The Aux unit came I suspect from another CP200 when I bought it.

Serge

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2006 01:17 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
I met the man
Mark, I thought you were "The Man" [Razz]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-26-2006 02:43 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Na, Richard you are definately da man... I'm just da man caught in da middle.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: