Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Framing Lamps - On or Off?

Author Topic: Framing Lamps - On or Off?
Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-22-2006 02:23 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night, I was having a discussion with a fellow employee about whether or not the framing lamps should be left on while the projector is operating. I've always felt that leaving them on during the show was unnecessary & it caused some parts in the head to get hotter to the touch upon threading. He's on the side that the bulb will have longer life if it never gets shut off & forced to cool rapidly. To me, it's an inexpesive bulb. We have XL's & a Century C that are in question.

Any opinions on this?

|  IP: Logged

Brian DeCiancio
Film Handler

- posted 10-22-2006 02:28 PM      Profile for Brian DeCiancio   Author's Homepage   Email Brian DeCiancio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Scott
...the bulb will have longer life if it never gets shut off & forced to cool rapidly.
I'd hate to see his electric bill at home if he employs this logic there!

I have always been told that incandescent bulbs have longer life if they turned off when not in use. Fluorescent bulbs are best left on if needed only in intervals.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-22-2006 02:38 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I rarely see a incandescent lamp fail when lit it is usually on turn on or off they fail due to filament shock

that said in the grand scheme of things I wouldn't worry about it too much

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-22-2006 02:57 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Am I missing something here? It's a 6 watt bulb. How much electricity could it possibly use? In my experience with them, they last longer when left on. Like Gordon said, it's the on and off that usually blows them.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 10-22-2006 03:09 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You probably risk more wear to a far more expensive component... the switch!

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-22-2006 03:44 PM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On ISKRA KN-3, KN-4 projector when You push bottom for dowser to open/changeover, frame lamp automatically goes OFF, and lamp in oil tube (for oil control) automatically goes ON!

Andy Muirhead
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-22-2006 05:41 PM      Profile for Andy Muirhead   Email Andy Muirhead   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you really need it on in the first place? [Wink]

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-22-2006 06:14 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andy you're right. Most theaters I know don't thread up in frame anyway. [Big Grin]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-22-2006 06:46 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea..with the Christie P35GPS machines that uses the 7w "christmas tree", candelabra base, decoration bulb (which loves to burn out quite often), I'd forget about using the framebox and would frame up in the aperture area - tons easier when you could swing that trap open quite wide..

And doing this is like doing a framejob on an old SuperSimplex, or E-7 where you HAD to frame up in the aperture area..

Yea, know a bunch of booth clowns who doesn't even care about framing up - not worth their effort. (Sad....)

-Monte

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-22-2006 06:58 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We don't have problems threading in frame. The five-or-so managers that work in the booth were all trained well enough for that. Since we got the lights rewired some months ago, it had just come up as a difference in operator style debate.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 10-22-2006 08:26 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vibration is the enemy of that bulb particularly a 120 or 240 volt bulb. The xl bulb has some advantage due to the short, thick filament.

We have wired them off of the other side of the motor relay for years (the motor is on, the bulb is off....we don't provide a switch.) Louis

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 10-23-2006 11:07 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never used the framing lamp. I don't care if it's on or off or even if the lamp is burned out.

Once you learn to thread up, in frame, you don't really need the light. None of my student operators even know it's there. They can all thread correctly without it.

As a matter of fact, the framing lamp in my projector is burned out and I've never cared to order a replacement.

Unless you have a kind of projector that can't be threaded by looking through the aperture, the framing lamp is just a crutch, AFAIC.

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-23-2006 02:23 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some of my threading lamps behind the intermittent are burned out and others are still going strong. I'll only change them when I maintenance the particular machine - never just on a whim between shows.

As for door lamps (which is what I think you mean by 'threading lamps'), they're pretty much obsolete in my opinion. I do, however, use the door lamps to mark various machines that have been worked on or lubricated when I'm doing quick checks and out of numerical order so I don't mess up or waste time. If I use them I usually leave them on between shows.

Because our machines are back-to-back and close together; when I give booth tours to people I want to impress, I'll turn off the booth lights and turn on the door lamps. Providing no shows are on the screen, eighteen #55 bulbs throw off enough shine to light a path and give the booth a great look - almost candle-lit ambiance. Businesswomen with the local Chamber of Commerce are more pleased to see that than oily old machines.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-23-2006 02:35 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My least-favorite booth configuration is the type where there is a big plate-glass window across the front wall, rather than individual portholes for each machine. In that sort of booth arrangement, I turn off all the room lights and just use the framing lamps/door lamps (and maybe a small lamp on the rewind bench) to light the booth. It works fine and avoids shining light into the auditorium through the giant window.

I tend to be pretty fastidious about bulbs in general and always replace burnt-out bulbs immediately, even if they aren't strictly necessary to do the job. I just don't like the look of light sockets without working bulbs in them.

On Simplex X-Ls, the framing bulb (but not the door bulb) shuts off when the door is closed. On Centurys, the bulbs stay on all the time. On Kinotons, the framing bulbs shut off when the motor is running. I don't remember what happens in Cinemeccanicas. No idea which scheme is best, if it even matters.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 10-23-2006 03:39 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cinemeccanica, generally when the douser goes up, the thread lamp goes off. On some Century units we have installed LED cluster lights with some running 5 years with no problems.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: