Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » My foray into the technical field (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: My foray into the technical field
Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2006 02:27 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good Afternoon fellow Film-Techers! I figured I'd get on here and tell of my adventures into the technical aspect of our industry. On October 1st I took a technician in training position with Cardinal Sound here in Maryland. It's been quite a ride!

*****The rest of this post has been deleted due to censorship type issues, i.e. I was asked to re-consider the content of my post and I decided to delete it.*****

[ 10-23-2006, 11:19 AM: Message edited by: Dennis Benjamin ]

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-21-2006 02:48 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh no! Steve Guttag has brainwashed you into that reel to reel thing. [Eek!] (There is more to go wrong with changeovers, buddy. [Wink] )

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2006 03:39 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, no. I have never been brainwashed. I actually believe that a two-projector, changeover system is better for the following reasons:

1) For a person to operate this type of set up, they actually have to be intelligent and know what they are doing (instead of being a 'threader')Professionals only!

2) Because each reel is being handled separately - more care is taken. If something goes wrong, only one reel is ruined - instead of the whole print.

3) Utilizing two projectors always gives you a back-up if one projector fails.

4) It's more professional. This is why the studios and high-end, private screening rooms still use them. You have to have a professional person to be able to operate a professional piece of equipment. Any person can learn to thread and push the start button. Not everyone can be a film handler and run a changeover set-up.

A long time ago in a galaxy far away - I ran a changeover theatre (on my off time). It was an amazing experience and it was a lot of fun.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 10-21-2006 04:04 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhhhh... one of those "strong opinion" subjects! [beer]

I used to feel exactly the same way... especially for a couple of years following the replacement of my union job by an automation box. How on earth could a clock-driven cam & microswitch cluster hope to compare with the care, love and professionalism I brought to my booth every day? Certainly, no bucket of relays could hope to match the artistry with which I executed every changeover and timed every curtain and dimmer cue.

Then, I bought my own place & figured out how to make technology work like "me". A microprocessor-based system (or computer, as in mine) can do just about anything you would do, when you'd do it, and do it every single time. You only have to teach it once. So much for artistry.

I don't know what kind of figures one might use for mtbf on a well-maintained projector, but it has to be gawdawful huge. I know a lot of old-timers gave in to automation cautiously, keeping the second machine in-place as a spare. Except for maybe running a trailer reel, those machines don't get used much.

A maintained Century or Simplex system, along with a decent mid-grade platter & a good lamp & power supply will give reliable service day in and day out. The new stuff on the market may be even better. After spending 20 years in this particular place, putting spare projectors next to my existing singles would be absolutely at the bottom of my "to do" list. Considering the likelihood of a full-blown failure, it's not worth it.

Add to that the stronger film we use now, better splicing tapes and reliable sound equipment.

As an owner/operator, with my wallet and life tied to the contents of my booth, I'm as totally comfortable with a fully automated, single-projector system as I am that nobody could do a better job up there, running the same booth manually. Were that the case, I'd be doing it.

Oh... the changeover-based screening room here is that way because they run the film once, then put it back in the can and they're done. Build-up and break-down is impractical. Given the choice in that case, I'd go with change-overs, too.

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2006 05:26 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
1) For a person to operate this type of set up, they actually have to be intelligent and know what they are doing (instead of being a 'threader')Professionals only!
I operate platters and I'm smart and know what I'm doing.

quote: Dennis Benjamin
2) Because each reel is being handled separately - more care is taken. If something goes wrong, only one reel is ruined - instead of the whole print.
I take great care in building the films and even greater care when threading. I've never ruined a print.

3) Utilizing two projectors always gives you a back-up if one projector fails.
Umm...ok. If a projector fails, we can utilize the bottom platter on another projector and show the film there. How convienient is a 1 projector changeover type system anyway?

4) It's more professional. This is why the studios and high-end, private screening rooms still use them. You have to have a professional person to be able to operate a professional piece of equipment. Any person can learn to thread and push the start button. Not everyone can be a film handler and run a changeover set-up.
Just because "not everyone" can do it, doesnt make it better. Not everyone can do it, because they are so rare in todays movie theaters. If they were commonplace, my guess is everyone COULD do it....and if platters were rare, would that mean that you would need a true professional to run those?

I suppose everyone has their opinions, but I don't see any advantages at all. I pride myself in doing a great job and don't need the extra challenges and extra steps to ensure I do a good job. If theatres had hire expensive projectionist to run their equipment, how long would a 20 plex stay in business? I think the new equipment is a good idea. The less things that CAN go wrong, the better.

[ 10-21-2006, 08:45 PM: Message edited by: Frank Dubrois ]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-21-2006 05:43 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the Independants will keep on chugging
Yes but it will be with D-C... since by that time it will have completely replaced film. Also keep in mind that for chains like Carmike converting to D-C is the better option and provides an instant improvement in quality of presentation.... Most Carmike's sucked big time... converting to D-C is actually an upgrade for them!

quote: Jack Ondracek
As an owner/operator, with my wallet and life tied to the contents of my booth, I'm as totally comfortable with a fully automated, single-projector system as I am that nobody could do a better job up there, running the same booth manually. Were that the case, I'd be doing it.

A-Men Jack! And I will add that I have seen more film ruined by incompetant operators running (or should I say ruining) reel to reel than any other form of film transport.

Mark

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2006 06:08 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I in no way was trying to cause arguements or start a problem on here. I think it's sad that everything always has to turn to the negative in these forums.

Anyways - the main point I was making was that things are not like they used to be. Our business has changed and we all have to change with it.

I have found too many times at theatres that professionalism has been thrown out the door. To the gentleman who made the argument for platters - I am glad to hear you are so passionate about your job. But is everyone who works in your projection booth feel the same way you do? Do they take the time to make sure the show is as near to perfect as you would like? I doubt that is the case at your location and if it is - good for you.

Platter can be good things, I worked with them for 17 years. Equipment is only as good as the people running it. As much as I'd like to sit here and get into a long discussion about this, I can't. I hope that everyone on here are professionals in their own right. We need people that care about good presentation - cause there are'nt too many of us left.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 10-21-2006 06:14 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the fold, Dennis. [Smile] Steve is a good man.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-21-2006 07:31 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, what is the proper way to solder a wire?

Tristan Lane
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2006 08:21 PM      Profile for Tristan Lane   Email Tristan Lane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Norwood
With an acetylene torch and plenty of filler rod. [Razz]

Welcome to best part of the industry [thumbsup]

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2006 08:22 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My response was in no way intended to start an arguement. I simply made points FOR the platter system. Also wanted you to know that just because people operate platters, they are no less "professional" than people who dont.

Do they take the time to make sure the show is as near to perfect as you would like?
No, they don't, but that doesn't mean getting different equipment would change that. Finding people that actually care about their job is difficult. Low wages are certainly a part of that. If you dont absolutely love the job in the theater biz, you should leave it, or never join up in the first place. Most kids hired nowadays are around for a few months until the next job comes along...thats sad, but most new theaters can't afford professionals, they can only hope to find suckers like me that love the job enough to settle for crappy wages in exchange for job satisfaction.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-21-2006 08:24 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's sad that everything always has to turn to the negative in these forums.

I certainly don't see that happenning in this thread. What I see is a combination of people relating what they have seen and expereinces they've had and a couple of others who are just outright teasing you. Thats the stuff that a good forum is made of. If people can't or shouldn't interject with they've seen, their expereinces, and feelings then there is no forum.

Mark

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2006 09:25 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, your right.

I am still having to fill some shifts at a theatre that I no longer manage and I am not enjoying it one bit. So - the negativity was actually emitting from me.

Anyways..................

quote: Scott Norwood
Well, seeing how I was recently taught - I started checking out other peoples soldering jobs. Messy as hell. Solder drippings everywhere, wires hanging in odd angles. Some barely connected and just hanging there. I know that ain't right!

Anslem Rayburn
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-22-2006 09:57 AM      Profile for Anslem Rayburn   Email Anslem Rayburn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyways - the main point I was making was that things are not like they used to be. Our business has changed and we all have to change with it.
And they used to be changeover, now they are mainly platter houses...

I have found too many times at theatres that professionalism has been thrown out the door.
Has nothing to do with changeover vs. platter, has to do with pride vs. non-pride in your work.

To the gentleman who made the argument for platters - I am glad to hear you are so passionate about your job. But is everyone who works in your projection booth feel the same way you do? Do they take the time to make sure the show is as near to perfect as you would like? I doubt that is the case at your location and if it is - good for you.
And 'changeover' does not equal passionate, nor professional. An idiot running a show is an idiot running a show.

Platter can be good things, I worked with them for 17 years. Equipment is only as good as the people running it.
Same thing holds true for changeover. You can have the best equipment in the world, and if you hire a moron to run it, you get a moronic presentation.

As much as I'd like to sit here and get into a long discussion about this, I can't. I hope that everyone on here are professionals in their own right. We need people that care about good presentation - cause there are'nt too many of us left.
Amen, brother, amen.

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-22-2006 02:08 PM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, for my part I started this cinema thing when I was 5 years old helping my dad (and my dad started when he was less than 5!!! [Smile] ) alinging carbon arcs while showing! Now after 18 years, I am so happy that I am the last dying breed of cinema technicians in Cyprus! This did not come from training seminars like most other technicians tend to attend but through hard study, on hand work, a lot of practice, a lot of effort, mistakes and finally a satisfying outcome. I can't tell you how happy I am that our customers feel so much better knowing that I will pass around their theater just for a chit-chat with the projectionist or manager to see if everything is allright. I tend to do that everyweek running all around Cyprus just checking the theaters randomly to see if something is needed not because I was called, but because I want to do it. Of course you don't have this luxury in your countries which are huge but in a place divided in 2 with 4 main towns and a population of no more than 500 thousand in total, I find that this is an absolute must. I know the Cinemeccanicas inside out like the palm of my hand and any problem that has arisen with any of the models we use in Cyprus I was able to solve and even able to rebuilt intermittent blocks. I am also aquainted with Kallee projectors as well as Microtechicas which seem to be available only in Cyprus for some reason and still running! Kinotons have come into our market a few years ago with minimum to none issues but perfect results everytime. I even learned how to convert carbon arc lamphouses to xenon which I've done several times. No matter what, a maintained projector can run forever no matter how old it is.
Best Regards
Demetris

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: