Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Print security gone too far? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Print security gone too far?
Alex Cross
Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2006 05:01 PM      Profile for Alex Cross   Email Alex Cross   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday afternoon, our copy of film 'X' arrived. Nothing unusual there. However, the delivery driver was told he had to watch it being made up, watch it on the 6:30 preview, watch it being broken down, before taking it away again. I have to say, I'm rather teed off that the whole situation insinuated that we'd have down something dishonest. Which I take great offence to. Is this something that happens regularly, or is this a one off? We're also regularly receiving prints in two halves. Normally, reels 1/3/5 arrives one day. And the next day we'll get 2/4/6. Is this how my colleagues around the globe have to deal with print security? I'd love to know your views/experiences. I fully understand the need to eliminate piracy, but is this going too far?

Alex.

|  IP: Logged

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 10-19-2006 05:09 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's nothing new. You could have the best record in security and they will still be there watching the print.

Edwin Sheldon
Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2006 06:06 PM      Profile for Edwin Sheldon   Email Edwin Sheldon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only time I've encountered split shipments was with King Kong. We got reel 8 a few days early and the rest the day before the print was supposed to screen. Whose brilliant idea was that? If they were going to split the shipment, it would have made the projectionists less angry if they had shipped reel 1 and the trailers so we could get started on the build process. Having a reel just lying around for a few days that can't be built onto a print is just silly.

A few months ago, we received a fax from a depot (TES I think) saying they would split shipments in the manner you described. Three days later, they reversed their decision due to universal outcry from the projectionists.

Ian Woloschin
Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2006 06:08 PM      Profile for Ian Woloschin   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Woloschin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I <3 non-theatrical showings.

I get a couple of old beat up film cans that must've been in circulation for 50 years. Occasionally I get a funny name on the outside, easy enough to open them up and check to the headers though. Delivery guy drops it off, I build it, show it, break it down, and then the delivery guy comes a few days later and takes the old film and brings a new one, relatively ad-infinitum. [beer]

Robert John Jeromson
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2006 06:12 PM      Profile for Robert John Jeromson   Email Robert John Jeromson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's part of the furniture here now (so to speak). Split deliveries are a regular occurance in New Zealand, just recently 'Out of the Blue' was sent in odd reel and even reel deliveries.

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2006 06:24 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had an odd amount of security with 'The History Boys', the code was 'Stage Fright' and after the preview half the reels were sent back. I think they take it more seriously when we get a UK release far in advance of the USA.

Also had a test screening of 'The Guardian' earlier in the summer, Disney had their own projector, two suited security guys on the door taking mobiles and coats from the audience, and two other guys just for projection.

Where I used to work, there were a couple of previews for a Harry Potter film, had two security guards during the entire film with night vision goggles.

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2006 06:48 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't take it personally Alex. I've been in that situation many times in the past. It's their job to make sure nothing happens to the print. They don't know if someone can get into the booth and do something to the print or if it will disappear while someone is not looking. It's not so much the projectionist they're worried about.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2006 02:33 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alex, which chain are you with?

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 10-20-2006 07:17 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The first time that happened to me was with a sneak of "Gremlins." A guy named Vinne delivered it and said he was told to not let the print out of his sight. It's just film company paranoia and has nothing to do with the theater or it's employees.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2006 07:34 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have said this on here before: When I did a sneak of the Jurassic Park sequel in Miami, I had a guy with a gun stand next to the print it's entire run (through build up and breakdown). He made me nervous.

[Roll Eyes]

Brian Guckian
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2006 11:08 AM      Profile for Brian Guckian   Email Brian Guckian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it legal to have an unqualified person in the Projection Room standing over the Projectionist as they go about their duties? What about the H&S regulations?

Whatever about split shipments, this kind of thing seems well OTT. And armed guards as well? [Eek!]

What about the post houses and the like where all the real piracy is supposed to happen? Do armed personnel stand over Editors and Sound Editors as they work? When they go in to do the mix, are they met by a contingent of security personnel? Not likely! [Roll Eyes]

There are some really sensible, well worked out security procedures out there that are effective without intruding on people, and they've never mentioned interference of this kind.

Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2006 03:39 PM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is real crazy here in the UK, when prints are X-Over to other Cinemas. the Film Transport companies sometimes sub contract the work to other Carriers who are NOT approved by FACT to carry 35mm prints.

Some of the X-Overs have been done in Taxis, unknown "one Man and Van" most recently I have heard that a Cinema was closed so the film was left at a local Pub near by for the Cinema Projectionist to collect!.

What should be some concern to Film Companies is most of the Prints are moved by DHL and as I found their main disbribution Hub is mostly staffed by Agency East Europe Migrant workers and in time most of the Deliveries will be carried out by Agency Drivers or contract carriers.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-20-2006 04:18 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All the security steps being strictly applied to 35mm and digital virtual prints is absolutely worthless when the same Hollywood studios casually distribute screener DVDs among lots of people well before the movie is even released.

Many of the people receiving these screener DVDs are celebrities and other people with money who feel like they can do whatever they want. Some in this group and others outside of it viewing these screener DVDs think with only the right side of their brain and have poor impulse control.

This is why just about any major movie is already on the Internet available to download before the actual theatrical release happens.

If I was a studio chief I would just ban those screener DVDs.

Alexander Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2006 05:40 PM      Profile for Alexander Smith   Email Alexander Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding X-overs in the UK:

I started asking the "man plus van" drivers for ID. One guy
didn't like it, because he didn't have his ID. His office
phoned my boss to confirm that he was supposed to be picking
up what-ever-title.

He brought his ID next time, even though it looked like it
was made at play-school with "my first scissors". We took
a note of his car registration plate just in case. :-)

Just the level of service we've come to expect from DHL.
(sarcasm...)

Alex.

Chad M Calpito
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2006 06:07 PM      Profile for Chad M Calpito   Author's Homepage   Email Chad M Calpito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The same thing happened to me when I had a private showing of World Trade Center. The security guy would come up during make-up and tear down of the film. Of course, I didn't take offense at it because he was just doing his job.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: