Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 5000 W average lamp life?

Author Topic: 5000 W average lamp life?
Miguel Devriendt
Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2006 01:20 AM      Profile for Miguel Devriendt   Author's Homepage   Email Miguel Devriendt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everybody,

I'm new to this forum, and I'm running a 1 year old complex in Belgium.

I have a question regarding when U change your lamp bulbs...

After how many yours do you guys normally change a 5000 W lamp?

(from osram)

Do you guys wait till it flickers a little bit or a lot?

Greetings,

Miguel

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-19-2006 01:33 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the FORUM. Simple rule of suggested thumb on bulbs: Whatever the warranted hours are on the bulb, times that by 150% and that is when the recommended changeout is for that certain bulb.

Thus, I do believe that a 5k bulb is warranted for 900 hours. At 1350 hrs is the recommended replacement for this bulb.

I've seen bulbs stay in a lot longer than the recommended period, but the light output has somewhat dimmed, hard striking due to the arc gap has widened after numerous strikings, envelope could be getting discolored, flickering, et.al. ... and the biggest scare is with bulbs have more hours than recommended is that the quartz envelope begins to weaken and chances of bulb explosions are greatly increased during operation.

Why of the recommended changeout percentage is to keep the maximum light color output at a certain level (color temperature in Kelvin) so the presentations don't begin to suffer.

Hope this helps. good luck and welcome once again - Monte

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 10-19-2006 09:02 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Remember that after the warranty period YOU are on the line for reflector replacement if it blows.

For that reason, I get a good look at the bulb at warranty expiration time. A good work light, and a piece of white paper are essential. Louis

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-19-2006 10:28 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
A good work light, and a piece of white paper are essential. Louis

As is a good full face shield if you're sticking your head in there for a look see!!! Safety first on any xenon lamp!

Mark

Miguel Devriendt
Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2006 08:37 AM      Profile for Miguel Devriendt   Author's Homepage   Email Miguel Devriendt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thnx for the info guys.

And don't worry i always use protective items when i install a lamp [Wink] .

greetings,

Miguel

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: