Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Soundtrack down? (on a platter)

Author Topic: Soundtrack down? (on a platter)
Alex Grueneberg
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2006 01:04 AM      Profile for Alex Grueneberg   Author's Homepage   Email Alex Grueneberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just got back from Europe. I managed to get my self up to a couple of various projection booths in Edinbrough Scotland and through out London. With some conversation on observation i noticed something that my self and my fellow projectionists at my theater would find very odd. Every booth I got in was running sound track down on their platters. When I said we ran soundtrack up -always- and that I had always been told that soundtrack down was a big no no and there was a bit of surprise as most of them had been told the opposite. One told me running soundtrack down is better for the print, as it will generate less static and the print is stronger at the soundtrack? (not saying I belive that)

So now I'm just not sure whats the right way to do it. What’s your side?

|  IP: Logged

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2006 01:16 AM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always threaded so the soundtrack was up. I know there were a few circumstances where it was ok to thread so that the soundtrack was down, but I dont remember what instances where that would be ok. I've never heard that the soundtrack side is stronger either.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-15-2006 02:08 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
This has been discussed to death here, so a search of the archives is in order.

Assuming there is no threading mistake and everything on the platter is in perfect operating condition it doesn't really matter too much. However the short answer is to use common sense.

#1 That outdated SMPTE guideline of "emulsion in" winding is just that, outdated to the tune of 30 years using different film stocks that had a different curl than modern polyester film does (and this was before platters). Unfortunately too many people follow that guideline too strictly and wind soundtrack down, because that puts the "emulsion in".

#2 That outdated SMPTE guideline also was only for "large difference in hub to outer wrap ratio". Well guess what, that just isn't an issue with platters.

#3 Running soundtrack down puts the soundtrack at the biggest chance of wear. Listening to scratches is far worse than looking at them.

#4 Running soundtrack down puts the emulsion side of the film at the biggest chance of wear, not only on takeup but also on a dragging payout. The odds are that a minor problem will not produce visible scratches on the base side of the film, but you can bet it will show up on the emulsion side!

#5 Running soundtrack down on polyester prints in a dry climate will cause the film to buckle as it enters the brain and can cause erratic payout, leading to thrown prints (assuming a Film-Tech Safety Ring is not being used).

So essentially running soundtrack down is just stupid in today's world. Please search the archives for further discussion on this.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: