Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Warbled Sound

Author Topic: Warbled Sound
Joseph Muggio
Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2006 01:47 PM      Profile for Joseph Muggio   Email Joseph Muggio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a problem with warbled sound. It sounds worse during music than dialogue. I am running a Simplex PR-1006 proj. with an SH-1000 series (Four Star) modified to red. Any ideas from anyone what could be causing this and how can I fix it? Could this be a simple misalignment?

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-14-2006 03:53 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would suspect it is the rubber (or felt) section of the pinch roller in the sound head lateral guide roller has a flat spot

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-14-2006 06:56 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check.........

The sound drum to be sure it spins freely and does not bind at all. Get it spiinning and then it should slowly decelerate over 20 to 30 seconds.

That the upper half of the lateral guide roller that you close over the sound drum pivots easily at it's hinge point or knuckle... if its stuck this can cause a lack of contact and may result in flutter.

That the upper casting of the lateral guide roller arm is not cracked in any way, I replaced 4 of those castings that were cracked last week!

The impedance roller and its associated bearings are in good shape as Gord suggested. Also the inner half away from the sound track of the lateral guide roller is spring loaded and when you push it open it should go back to its normal point immediately.

Hope some of this helps....

Mark

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 10-14-2006 07:01 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Before going with any of these disaster scenarios, check the drum and the roller for anything even slightly sticky, tape, tape residue, etc. Seen this a few times, never found anything broken.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 10-14-2006 07:51 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check to make sure that the pinch roller, when in the closed position, is actually holding the film onto the sound drum and not letting it slide through freely. I've seen that problem before. Not only resulting in warble, but also some faintly scratched prints.

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2006 01:18 AM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard pulling the film to tight before snapping the rollers closed could cause that also.

Joseph Muggio
Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2006 12:03 PM      Profile for Joseph Muggio   Email Joseph Muggio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I won't be able to check these things again until Friday when I'm at the theatre again. For a single screen, we only run weekends, but I'm usually there well before the doors open. Will post again after that. Thanks to all for your input.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-15-2006 03:01 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also I assume you are threading it correctly with 2-3 perfs of slack film across the scanner

Bob Koch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2006 03:30 PM      Profile for Bob Koch   Email Bob Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After you checked the things that have been suggested;take the lateral guide roller apart by taking the "bristo" setscrew out and separating the top and bottom of the roller by pushing the pivot pin out and removing the spring behind the tension ball and retensioning it[stretch]This will probably do it. Make sure neither of the "pot metal" castings hasnt cracked, as this will most certainly cause the problem you mention.

Joseph Muggio
Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2006 06:52 PM      Profile for Joseph Muggio   Email Joseph Muggio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've checked everyone's suggestions. I found no broken or cracked areas on the pad roller arm, but have found that the support shaft bearings may be the cause. As for the lateral guide roller, there seems to be no flat spots. Are lateral rollers supposed to side-to-side motion and how much? The drum itself also has some side-to-side movement when gentle pressure is applied. The red light bracket is only a millimeter or two from the edge of the drum. It now seems that the warbling sound is more defined. Anything else I can do short of calling the tech in?

Floyd Justin Newton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2006 07:03 PM      Profile for Floyd Justin Newton   Email Floyd Justin Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Makr sure that NOTHING is touching the flywheel (cableing and etc) as this will surely cause "wowing".

Joseph Muggio
Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2006 01:12 PM      Profile for Joseph Muggio   Email Joseph Muggio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just wanted to let everybody know that most of our sound problems have (for the most part) been corrected. It turns out that the CAT 222 gain controls were set way too high causing distortion. The CAT 240 card showed only red LED's on both l/r channels. Now it sounds a lot better with just a faint distortion. It was also recommended that I change the rubber roller and bearings on the lateral guide roller, which after being removed, I'll have to run buzz track to realign. Does anyone have any further suggestions??

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 11-05-2006 06:17 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What processor is this?

In any case, it sounds like you should run dolby tone and set the gain based on that. Have you done so?

--jhawk

Joseph Muggio
Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2006 09:40 AM      Profile for Joseph Muggio   Email Joseph Muggio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The gain settings we made were done using Dolby tone.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: