Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Women relly projectionist? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Author Topic: Women relly projectionist?
Gunnar Asgeirsson
Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2006 12:23 AM      Profile for Gunnar Asgeirsson   Author's Homepage   Email Gunnar Asgeirsson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just wondering and i am not sexist i just wanna tell everybodi that. But is relly here in this world women working as projectionist? I have never heard about that before. Here in iceland we have never had women in this job.

And i hope nobody will get angry becuse this topic. I am just wondering.

Well well me people [Eek!]

|  IP: Logged

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2006 01:43 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had 2 occasions in Cyprus with Women projectionists and no problems at all. You know women. Always clean!! At least that was the case here. One used to work at a cinema which closed down about 2 years ago and the other was working at a college cinema with no problems at all and flawless presentation each time. I don't know about anywhere else.
Best Regards
D

Tony L. Hernandez
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2006 01:54 AM      Profile for Tony L. Hernandez   Email Tony L. Hernandez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for starting this thread. I was just wondering last night how many lady projectionists there are and were. My close friend Ola who owned and operated movie theaters and drive in theaters with her husband from 1945 until her passing in 2005 did a lot of the projection work in her theaters. She could do changeovers and man the carbon arc lamp houses and later, platters and xenon. She woulod be 84 if she were still here.

I also know of two ladies who own theaters, one in Delta, CO with a drive in and a single screen theater and the other in Trinidad, CO with a six plex who do thier own projection work. There were as couple teenage female managers at a six plex I used to help at that could project, although on one occasion one of them misthreaded the platter and caused a wonderful brainwrap.
Other than that, all the lady projectionists I have known did a wonderful job.

On the other hand, I know a couple old ladies who own theaters and had thier husbands and sons do the projection work and never learned how themselves.

My general belief is that every adult person be they man, woman, black, white, yellow, brown, christian, jewish, muslim, atheist, gay, straight can do an equally good job at anything with proper trianing and practice. Everyone is equal.

BUT...there are not many lady projectionists out there so it would be fun to discuss the ones we know of...

~~Tony H.~~

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 10-09-2006 02:56 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How many movie theaters do you have in Iceland? Any multiplexes?

Edwin Sheldon
Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2006 04:19 AM      Profile for Edwin Sheldon   Email Edwin Sheldon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I work with two female projectionists and have worked with a total of seven in the 18 months I have been in projection. Most were quite capable. One of them was the biggest neat freak I had ever met; when she was running the booth, I never saw the magenta shedding that plagues Christies because she went over each machine with denatured alcohol before every show. [Big Grin]

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 10-09-2006 08:40 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I worked with a female projectionist once. She was so good at what she did I asked her to marry me.

She must have thought that I was pretty good too, because she said yes.

[Big Grin]

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2006 08:52 AM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Awwwwwwww [Big Grin] That's very sweet Mark. A match made in the projection booth!

There's got to be a Hallmark card for that!

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 10-09-2006 09:36 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Miami's best projectionist is a female [Cool] ....She specializes in handling prints for many of the film festivals in the region....never any technical problems when she is in charge [Smile]

Don Furr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2006 10:05 AM      Profile for Don Furr   Email Don Furr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
During my days of theatre ownership, I had several girls in charge of the booth. One in particular was the best booth person I ever had.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 10-09-2006 10:53 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Richard Fowler
Miami's best projectionist is a female ....She specializes in handling prints for many of the film festivals in the region
I think I know who that is, Richard. She wouldn't happen to have a little place out in the Everglades, would she?

While on the subject, I have an old projection book somewhere that goes back to the silent days, and there's a picture of a female projectionist in it -- complete with overalls. [Smile] Also, the first theatre I ever made a service call in had a female projectionist. This was a big drive-in in West VA, and she was running a pair of Super 135s. She was very knowledgeable and I was always impressed with her.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 10-09-2006 11:08 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have trained 4 women for the booth. All 4 were easy trains. Women seem to pick up the details better than the guys. They are more intimidated by the equipment and the '20s vintage light board than the men and are only interested in learning to operate the machines with no interest in mechanics or maintenance. If there is a problem they will call for advice before fouling things up, the guys will chance a fix before calling, I'd rather they called. Neither sex seems know how to empty a trash can and the broom has never been touched. I've found no difference in performnce. The women have never questioned carrying film cans up the 56 steps to the booth either. The guys whine about it constantly.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-09-2006 12:59 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bill Enos
All 4 were easy trains. Women seem to pick up the details better than the guys
I actually love placing women up in the booth for this very reason being that they are tons more metulious with their hands than some of the fellas are - being that if they know how to sew cloth, they can "sew" up film in the machine.

They're more careful, obediant, observant, cautious and fussy on cleaning..

When I managed a twin number of years ago, I had a split between boy and girls operating the booth and the girls won hands down in presentation factors than did the guys - mainly the guys are so career minded that doing piddly booth work was actually a bother to them, thus there were problems that I had to attain to. Whereas the girls, who are more down to earth, just cared on the matter at hand

Even today at a Drive-In where I service and do sub booth work, I trained a lady on machine handling and she's great whereas the relief operator, who really doesn't care one way or another on his presetation factors, kinda shoddily just manages to get the movies on the screen..and he's been doing this for quite the years...where the lady, I trained last year and haven't missed a beat on my booth procedures.

-Monte

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 10-09-2006 01:19 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, I think we are talking about the same person [Smile] Her investments in "swamp lands" has made her very weatlhy on paper [thumbsup]

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 10-09-2006 02:01 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's funny, in a way. You're not supposed to "discriminate" based on sex... and we don't... but it seems that most of the detail and supervisory positions around here are held by females.

My wife handles the boxoffice, and also trains and supervises the people who work in there when we need more than one person selling tickets. Those people are picked from concession personnel with at least one year of experience with us, and all happen to be women.

Our snack bar is "manned" exclusively by women. No guys have applied to work there since my daughter and her boyfriend graduated and moved.

The only person who touches our projectors, besides me, is one of my daughters, and she knows what she's doing. She also manages parking and security, and can step into any concession or boxoffice position where she might be needed.

This past season, we had 3 or 4 guys here, all working in the fields... supervised by my oldest daughter. It's interesting, that the field positions seem to be where the guys want to be.

Having raised a family of daughters, I am well aware of my place... both practically and diplomatically. [Roll Eyes] I am "allowed" to run the booth, and carry a wrench for when a toilet needs attention. I get to work in the kitchen, boxoffice and fields, but only when needed. If all is working well, the wife and kids don't seem to have any problem, sending me back to the booth.

I get to monitor temperatures in the refrigeration equipment, light pilots in the fryers and pizza ovens, change belts in the fans... high-level stuff like that. Once in a while, they let me mop the floors, but not all the time.

I get to grumble good-naturedly about where I'm "allowed" to be visible... but the fact of the matter is that this place runs as well as anyone could imagine. It's a game that works quite well... for everyone.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2006 02:58 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had plenty of girls work for me in the booth over the years. For the most part they do great. There is the occasional problem with girls that don't want to stop talking on their cell phones to their boyfriends and end up damaging prints. I had one girl scratch four prints in two weeks because of that. They also tend to get emotional about stupid stuff.

That being said, I have also had plenty of guys that couldn't do their job right because of a girl and I have had guys that would get mad over any little thing.

It just depends on who you would rather look at while you are working.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: