Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Speaker Phasing (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Speaker Phasing
Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-08-2006 01:36 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking back on some of the old posts on this subject, I would like some more info on a few things. I noticed Steve said using a PN generator was risking at checking speaker phasing. I think I found that senario today. I use a 2 piece phase checker myself. While checking phasing with the bass drivers, all speakers were in phase. After setting levels and EQing, I checked phasing again with the generator. Left and right were fine together, but center with either left or right seemed to be out of phase. I say "seemed to be" because of this. When I send pink noise in phase to left and out of phase to lets say right channel, there is a clear drop in low frequency. When I compare left or right channel to the center channel however, its not so clear. Either way I sent the phasing to center, I really dont get much of a drop from the bass. Also, I dont get the same increase as you would when they are both in phase. Follow me so far?? I guess this is why Steve made that comment about not really using the generator to check phasing.
My last question is about HF phasing. Is it as important? I havent really read anything about it. It all seems to be about the LF phasing. Most of the horns I checked so far were wired differently. Some in phase, some out. Also, on a lot of the HF diaphragms I have replaced, polarity is not marked.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-08-2006 04:55 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phasing is of absolute importance! It must be correct with respect to each driver within a speaker and each speaker with respect to the other speakers.

Don't believe me...connect your L&R speakers out of phase with each other and turn off the surrounds...they'll sound like they are on!

Phasing is important within the speaker so that at the crossover point, the pressure waves add with each other from the two drivers...otherwise you'll have a more notable dip at crossover.

Since you experimented with phasing...try flattening your EQs and then try the PN phase test...I'll bet it is easier to tell.

Steve

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-08-2006 05:53 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do understand that phasing is extremely important. I figured that the EQing probably had something to do with the PN results I saw with the center speaker. The HF phasing is something that has bothered me. You're saying that it's as important as the LF phasing, which I do believe you in that. My question is why I have never heard people talk about it as much as LF phasing. I have found so many more HF drivers out of phase than LF drivers. Also, as I had mentioned, the labeling on a lot of HF drivers that I have seen doesnt tell you + and -.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-08-2006 06:18 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I always drag out the phase checker and test the Hf and LF units as matter of course
Like the X curve it is part of the drill and when time alignment is completed the system is more transparent

I have a breakout box that goes from the phase checker generator to the D sub for the aux input so I can switch t between cchannels and it passes throught the entire chain ensureing there are no hidden phase reversals

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 10-09-2006 10:16 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have experienced so many sound calls where phasing was the issue, especially on HF. Situations such as new speakers from the manufacturer miswired, different brands of amplifiers running in a rack, surround speaker terminations miswired, replacement components miswired.....phasing is the starting point [thumbsup]

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 10-09-2006 10:55 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Then remember that MOST JBL speakers are made out-of-phase compared to all others. (See THX instructions) Louis

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2006 01:18 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Louis,

I have a theatre with 2 JBLs and 1 Altec and the phasing was indeed different between them.

Also have a theatre with RCAs and an Altec, must be checked very carefully for proper phase or the results are very poor.

KEN

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2006 12:18 AM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this valid for home systems too? I have one that has different branded speakers. Actually my surrounds came from another system, and weren't intended to be used with this one, they were hard wired. I cut the wires, and stripped them and they work, they are right impedance, but I still have to have them all the way up to balance them, and they're still a tad weak. Of course they simply could be less efficent, too. But not by that much.

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2006 05:51 AM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Richard May
My question is why I have never heard people talk about it as much as LF phasing. I have found so many more HF drivers out of phase than LF drivers.
This has alot to do with the crossover and placement of the horn, 6db (90 degres out of phase,) 18db (270 degres out of phase) traditionally pos to pos termanal. 12db passive crossovers is 180 degress out of phase and traditionally pos to neg of horn, meanwhile the bass pos to pos as a rule.

For the best result the magnets of the speakers should be lined up depth wise, with the horn slightly forward to compensate for the fact that the speaker is up at 2/3 hight of screen. this is time alignment non digital style and has a big effect on phasing.

I have made speakers for cinemas that are wired identially but in one screen, the best result was by reversing the phase of the centre channel only (off the eq equipment) so trust the test gear

[Smile]

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2006 12:18 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why are some speakers made out of phase like Louis says. Also, are there any reasons that you would leave a certain driver wired out of phase compared to the other drivers?

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 10-10-2006 12:39 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phasing standards vary with some sound manufacturers...with experience you generally know what is required for matching purposes. Sometimes the information is mentioned on the specification sheet, such as + voltage on red = forward excursion.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 10-10-2006 01:22 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The story I got was that James B. Lansing was a lefty so he wound the cores anti-clockwise. Some newer JBL product is "normal." This is the equipment from off shore or from a "normal" sub-contractor. Louis

Edward Jurich
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2006 02:30 PM      Profile for Edward Jurich   Email Edward Jurich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you run silent movies you can phase the speakers out. [Roll Eyes]
Sorry for the bad joke. Haven't been here in some time and felt like posting something [Big Grin]

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2006 05:22 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is an old trick of putting a 1.5V battery across the terminals. If the speaker cone moves outward, then plus on the battery is plus on the speaker.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-10-2006 06:19 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since James B also was Altec...and they are always + on red equals forward driver motion...the JBL being a lefty is out.

However, when JBL was formed, I guess they just had to be different than their previous company and with the + on Red equals reverse cone motion (away from the listener).

This continued on JBL well into the 90s. Since virtually EVERY other speaker manufacturer went with the Altec convention, JBL has made all NEW drivers with the Altec convention, unless they are a direct replacment of a "legacy" type driver.

So...if you have a JBL 2225 driver (pre current manufacture) and replace it with a JBL 2226...all will be well...the 2226 is a direct decendent of the 2225. Likewise for the 2246 vs the 2245 and so forth.

However, new drivers like the 2242 which show up in the current JBL subwoofers but are NOT replacements for say the 2245, carry the current convention (Altec). The 2241, on the other hand is a replacement to the 2240 so it uses the older JBL convention...confused yet?

Presumming that the day comes when they depart from all of their legacy drivers JBL will have the same convention as all other manufacturers but until that day...one has to keep track of which driver they are dealing with.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: